My wife and I have visited the Maldives15 times,we have used 6 different resorts and can honestly say that Vilamendhoo is the best so far. We travelled with Thomsons and found the booking process and pre-flight customer service easy to access and simple to understand. However though our (paid for) requests for extra legroom and seats together on the outward journey were met, the bottle of champagne, pre-ordered, wasn't delivered. It had to be requested from a steward who made it quite clear he was very busy on other duties. When it eventually arrived the bottle was luke warm and the two plastic tumblers that came with it were more suited to lemonade. This didn't quite meet Thomson's boast 'Get your holiday off to a flying start, have a chilled bottle of bubbly brought out to you.' Sorry Thomsons, your cabin service still has a tinge Hi-De-Hi despite your magificent Boeing Dreamliner.
The plane touched down on time, there was the usual scrum at passport checking and a two hour wait at the seaplane terminal though this was made more bearable with access to an air conditioned lounge and complimentary beverages. We eventually took off at 1-00pm arriving at the island some 25 minutes later.
Reception was dissapointing. We were greeted by a staff member who seemed more intent on exchanging hugs with what we took to be several repeater guests, the remainder of the party were directed to a bar where cold towels and a cool drink were supplied. Our greeter and the repeat guests could be seen chatting in the reception area whilst we were left for 10 minutes until other staff came along with room keys and welcome letters. On past visits to resorts it has been usual for the manager and his staff to greet guests, this not very welcome greeting wasn't what we expected. We had to find our own way to the restuarant where lunch was almost over then to our over-water bungalow.
But from then on our holiday couldn't have been better. Our accommodation came with all the comforts of modern living: efficient air con, ceiling fan, mini-bar, coffee machine, flat screen telly, I-Pod dock and access to wi-fi. The rooms are well appointed with plenty of cupboard space, a huge comfy bed, dressing table and a bathroom to die for. We didn't think we'd use the jacuzzi... but we did...a lot. It was so relaxing.
I concur with other contributors about the excellent quality of service in the restuarants and bars, the staff couldn't do enough for us. The variety of food and drink available would suit the fussiest of guests and the service on offer made each visit a pleasure.
I used the dive centre and was impressed with the attention to detail and the enthusiasm of the dive guides. The crew on the dive boats always helped me on and off with my gear and supplied a welcome cup of tea after each dive. My wife enjoyed several treatments at the Spa which was situated just across from our bungalow.
Lighting is a feature in all the public areas, dramatic hanging shades with matching wall lights and unique portable egg shape floor lights which though I've tried hard, I can't find on sale in the UK.
We took lots of photos: sunsets over the swimming pool, sharks herding the small fish, herons feeding on the shoreline, fruit bats swooping at dusk, palm trees framing white sand and will look at these and recall what a brilliant holiday we had.
This was without a doubt the best resort we have visited and despite the dissapointment of the initial greeting we will return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Ibrahim Nasir International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi Water Villas, 30 Jacuzzi Beach Villas, 111 Beach Villas and 13 Garden Rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island