This island is just perfect !
The water villas are a little too close together, so you can look back on each other would be my ONLY complaint !
The service was the usual wonderful, humble and delightful standard we have come to love (living in Spain, we are charmed by how much more pleasurable this makes your holiday, and what ruined our Mauritian holiday, as we thought they'd be as lovely as the Maldivians)
The food wasn't a huge choice but was ample sufficient and delicious. I LOVE their black bread and salads !
The island takes 45 minutes to walk around, if you dont stop too many times. Watch your ankles first thing in the morning, near the rocks on the water edge, as there are lots of baby morays that make you jump ! I do think they are as wary of us tho, as we are of them.
Of the 6 islands we've now visited, this was the best for snorkeling. Helped by the fact there had been no wind /rain for days, the visibility was phenomenal ! In the mornings, at low tide, you didnt need to even snorkel, you could just walk out and photograph the reef through the surface of the water as it was so shallow and still. The reef around the oldest area of the island, is predictably more damaged than around the water villas, but the currents are strong there, and you need to swim with someone and have flippers, or canoe ! It really looked as if man hadnt ever been there at this point.
You dont need to be taken to a house reef, on a dhoni, as after about 10-25 feet of coral, the reef cliff edge is there in all it's glory ! They have also carefully cut away channels so direct access to the reef edge is viable even at low tide, without the risk of damaging more coral all round.
We saw dolphins, and whale sharks on a trip for 96 dollars for the pair of us, and I swam with turtles off the reef nearly every day at either first or last light.
This place is heavenly.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort
- Vilamendhoo Island
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION:Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. ACCOMMODATION:184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi Water Villas, 30 Jacuzzi Beach Villas, 111 Beach Villas and 13 Garden Rooms. All feature tropical décor, a king size or two twin beds, wood or tile floors, private porch with furniture, air-conditioning, overhead ceiling fan, sitting area, stocked Mini Bar with refrigerator, complimentary tea/coffee, espresso machine, IDD telephone, 32 inch flat screen cable TV, DVD/CD player, high speed broadband Internet connection, personal safe, partially open-air bathroom with double sinks, a rain shower, bath accessories, hair dryer, nightly turndown service, bathrobe, complimentary use of chaise lounges at the pool and beach and beach towels. Electricity is 220VAC, 50HZRESTAURANTSTwo main “sister” restaurants featuring the same “all you can eat” buffet style meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, served in traditional open-air, sand floor, thatch roof dining room with a separate table for each guest room. The Funama Restaurant is for guests in the Garden Rooms and Beach Villas and the Ahima Restaurant is for adults only, guests in the Jacuzzi Beach Villas and Jacuzzi Water VillasAlso, “optional” à la carte restaurants including the over-the-water Asian Wok Restaurant, specializing in Asian cuisine and Teppanyaki; the Hot Rock Restaurant on the Sunset Bar beach, featuring seafood, steak or chicken cooked at your table on “hot rocks”, for adults only; and 3 other “optional” á la carte choices; a Snack Menu at the Bars and Pools; Room Service and a selection of special Dinners served on the Beach! BARSThe Bonthi Bar, on the beach beside the Funama Restaurant, with satellite TV coverage of international sporting events and a Disco; the Boashi Bar beside the Boashi Bar Pool, at the Eastern end of the island;the Sunset Bar beside the Ahima Restaurant for adults only; and the over-the-water Asian Wok Bar at the Eastern end of the island for adults onlyENTERTAINMENT:includes a nighttime program of Maldives Culture & History Presentation, Marine Preservation Slide Show, Bodu Beru Cultural Dance Show, DJ Disco, Divers’ Video, Movies, Crab Races, Live Band, Table Tennis Tournament, a Lending Library where you can take or donate a book and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Otel so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.