If you're looking for a beach holiday in a beautiful destination where you can forget the world, Vilamendhoo is perfect. You also get fantastic food, great service, and a wonderful house reef for snorkelling when you feel like!
We stayed in a detached beach villa which was lovely and well appointed. Our villa was 161, a lovely bit of beach which was only a short walk through the middle of the island to the restaurant. We had the all inclusive deal, which was fine. The food in the buffet restaurant was great (no repeats in meals over two weeks and all very tasty) with the desserts deserving a special mention! The drinks in the all inclusive were also great, wine is perfectly drinkable. The service was fantastic with all the waiters and barman offering fresh drinks within minutes of finishing the previous one.
We're keen divers and couldn't fault the dive centre. The instructors were all friendly and their system (keeping all rented kit in a box and it appearing on the boat once you sign up for a dive) was great. We came to this island particularly as it close to the marine reserve area where whale sharks can be found so we were ecstatic to be able to snorkel with one during one trip! Not something to be missed.
The monsoon was a bit late so unfortunately we had some rain, but it passes quickly. It's still 30 degrees and beautiful though so not a big deal :)
We booked with First Choice and flew with Thompson, both were good. It was much preferable to us to fly direct (last time we flew via Dubai with Emirates but it drained us), even though I do find Thompson a little bit cheeky with the optional extras (£30 each to choose your seats - wouldn't matter if no one did it!).
Only mar on the holiday was that the resort somehow got the times wrong for the departure sea planes. As a result we got our wake-up call an hour before we expected it - some people ignored it, meaning they were late for the sea plane. The last sea plane was so late they had to delay our Thompson flight home so we were an hour late back into Gatwick.
If you're going, I envy you - it's a wonderful holiday! However, if you're looking for something a bit cheaper and aren't bothered about the whale sharks, Kuredu in the north of the Maldives is also lovely.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort
- Vilamendhoo Island
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION:Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. ACCOMMODATION:184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi Water Villas, 30 Jacuzzi Beach Villas, 111 Beach Villas and 13 Garden Rooms. All feature tropical décor, a king size or two twin beds, wood or tile floors, private porch with furniture, air-conditioning, overhead ceiling fan, sitting area, stocked Mini Bar with refrigerator, complimentary tea/coffee, espresso machine, IDD telephone, 32 inch flat screen cable TV, DVD/CD player, high speed broadband Internet connection, personal safe, partially open-air bathroom with double sinks, a rain shower, bath accessories, hair dryer, nightly turndown service, bathrobe, complimentary use of chaise lounges at the pool and beach and beach towels. Electricity is 220VAC, 50HZRESTAURANTSTwo main “sister” restaurants featuring the same “all you can eat” buffet style meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, served in traditional open-air, sand floor, thatch roof dining room with a separate table for each guest room. The Funama Restaurant is for guests in the Garden Rooms and Beach Villas and the Ahima Restaurant is for adults only, guests in the Jacuzzi Beach Villas and Jacuzzi Water VillasAlso, “optional” à la carte restaurants including the over-the-water Asian Wok Restaurant, specializing in Asian cuisine and Teppanyaki; the Hot Rock Restaurant on the Sunset Bar beach, featuring seafood, steak or chicken cooked at your table on “hot rocks”, for adults only; and 3 other “optional” á la carte choices; a Snack Menu at the Bars and Pools; Room Service and a selection of special Dinners served on the Beach! BARSThe Bonthi Bar, on the beach beside the Funama Restaurant, with satellite TV coverage of international sporting events and a Disco; the Boashi Bar beside the Boashi Bar Pool, at the Eastern end of the island;the Sunset Bar beside the Ahima Restaurant for adults only; and the over-the-water Asian Wok Bar at the Eastern end of the island for adults onlyENTERTAINMENT:includes a nighttime program of Maldives Culture & History Presentation, Marine Preservation Slide Show, Bodu Beru Cultural Dance Show, DJ Disco, Divers’ Video, Movies, Crab Races, Live Band, Table Tennis Tournament, a Lending Library where you can take or donate a book and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Otel so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.