“Vilamendhoo do do do, it ticked all the boxes!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   South Ari Atoll, 20187   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Faringdon, United Kingdom
“Vilamendhoo do do do, it ticked all the boxes!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We have just returned from our 3rd trip to the Maldives. Vilamendhoo being the biggest island so far. Stayed in room 194 on the north side..excellent!! I had requested a south side beach villa but was so glad we were given a lovely room on the north. There was always a gentle breeze and the sea seemed calmer. Also it was safer for snorkeling as there were no boats or sea planes.
We had our own bit of sandy beach, and a few feet away, the coral with all the beautiful fish. Our room and room boy were great, mini bar stocked daily and also clean beach towels. The four poster bed was really comfy. We loved the open air bathroom, especially watching the fruit bats in the trees eating their fruit as we sat on the loo!!
The food was fantastic, we had curry every day, sometimes twice!! You dont have to share a table, in the bars and restaurants the seating is all geared up for couples. We asked to be moved as our table was by the waiters station so was a bit busy. At first we were told this was not possible, but when I said I work in a restaurant and that it is always best to keep customers happy, we were moved to a lovely table facing the beach. Most evening we had our meal ouside. Only moan on the food is that it could be warmer... a tip is to dig about and take it from the bottom.
Sunset bar was the best, never very busy and no children. Cocktail of the day was a bit ramdom, G & T on one day and whisky on another!!! Some were really nice tho. The Rose wine was one of the nicest I have ever tasted.We ate at the Hot Rocks (I had Kangaroo) and the Asian Wok, both brilliant. We also went on the free Sunset cruise on our last day and the Local Island trip. Worth going to the local island as some beautiful sarongs, and so cheap. Also good for gifts to take home.
So, main moan..... Children!! First week was great, the families seemed to be all in one area, so our Maldives dream was complete. We relaxed to the sound of....well, nothing really. (wondered why visitors from other countries felt the need to put their towels on the communal hammocks all day then hardly use them tho.) Second week a different story. The bucket and spade brigade arrived complete with blow up chairs, dolphins, lilo etc. The peace was shattered by squealing, crying, shouting, splashing and chasing around in the bar and restaurant. Now I love kids, I was one myself once, but I would not have thought it a suitable destination. When ours were young we took them to Spain, Greece, Canaries etc where there were facilities to keep them happy, so I cant understand taking them half way around the world when there are so many destinations geared up to children a little closer to home. Sorry if this upsets anyone, just my view, but also the view of other couples we spoke to on the island.
All in all though a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: No need to take books, excellent book swop room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for posting your report on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Vilamendhoo with others. We are happy that you all enjoyed your holiday. Around Easter time we had many young guest, but usury more Adults. We look forward to welcoming you back as a repeat guest. The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests. Warm Regards, your Vilamendhoo Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Having just returned from Vilamendhoo (we stayed 10-21 April) I felt I had to write our review. We booked our holiday well in advance, Sept 2010 and looked forward to visiting Vilamendhoo after reading good reports on trip advisor.

However, we had many niggly things go wrong, small things, but disappointed me after waiting so long for our holiday. Sri Lankan flight ok, but if you don’t like curry you won’t be eating the food. Water taxi delayed for well over 2 hours, watching people leave and you are still waiting in the air conditioned room is frustrating. We were the last group to leave. Finally arrived, only to be told that we couldn’t have our Jacuzzi Beach villa and we had to be downgraded to a garden bungalow for 1 night. Okay you might say it’s only one night, but I felt pretty peeved that you don’t get what you book even for 1 night and after a long flight and delays made me even more disappointed with start of holiday. We were compensated for this very well, but would rather have gone without all the extras and had my room that we booked.

The Jacuzzi beach villa was lovely, couldn’t fault it at all. This was our 4th visit to the Maldives and one of the best rooms. House reef great and food extremely varied and we enjoyed every meal.

I liked the fact that the Ahima and sunset bar didn’t allow children – I work in a primary school and it’s nice to have a break from them especially for your holiday. We decided to go full board and glad we did. We were a party of 4 and 3 of us would not have drank wine that is on the AI menu. So even though we drank cocktails and bottles of fizzy wine we saved money, even had a spa treatment and it was still cheaper than AI for us.

This was the busiest island we have stayed on, it didn’t feel relaxing (especially with building work banging, sawing, drilling right next to our villa, and again we had to complain about the noise, which they would stop for a day, then start up again).

All in all, enjoyed my holiday, although I definitely would not return to this island. I feel there are many more to explore and I am already looking to book our next one. Don’t let this review put you off going, as I’m sure if you have not been to the Maldives before you will have a great time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting your report on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Vilamendhoo with others. Sorry you heard some construction noise and for the long Seaplane wait. Usually the seaplane wait is less than 2 hours. We sincerely hope to welcome you back as a repeat guest. The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests. Warm Regards, your Vilamendhoo Team
heathrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Vilamendhoo Island resort & spa
Accomadation was very nice and new following the refurb in Dec 2010, four poster bed and open air bathroom were great, All beach villas have a sea view and are near the ocean. A small sea wall is requried to stop the erosion of the island and is from rooms 131 to 170 north side and 101 to 120 south side. we stayed in room 144 and found the wall was no problem we still had a nice beach.
Food good variety and tasted great, Asian Wok food was amazing lobster / tiger prawns.
Snorkeling the house reef was amazing the coral formations near rhe water villa end of the island and fish were amazing (small sharks , puffer fish , angel fish ) to many to mention.
Spa the free massage was so good we return for a full massage and it was a great experience. The spa is located over the ocean near the water villas
Diving probably the best in the maldives (Manta Ray , Whale Shark, Reef Sharks, Turtles)
Special thanks to some of my diving friends for there help as i am new to diving ( Steve, Mark, Ken) Oliver (Euro Divers) the extra weight made all the difference good luck at Meedhurparru Island
Staff were very friendly and helpful never had an empty glass for long. Boashi pool barman was great thanks Sumeda
We had a great Holiday and would love to return in the future.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

This was our first trip to the Maldives and Vila did not let us down. In many areas we feel the resort is first class and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. However, there are a few niggles which prevent me from giving it a ‘5’.
The positives:
The food was of excellent quality, freshness and variety. You will not go hungry! If you like desserts (as I do!) you will be in heaven. At lunch and dinner, there is a choice of about 6 different desserts. Of course, you have to try a little of each! Everything was clean and well presented. All compliments to the chefs and kitchen staff. The service was also excellent. We never had to wait for a dirty plate to be removed or for a drink to be replenished.
Despite not being able to swim, I was still able to wade out to the reef or kayak around the island and with snorkel see the marine life – which was great. The beach on the west of the island is beautiful – everything you imagine from an Indian Ocean paradise.
The AI package we felt was very good. We took advantage of the sunset cruise and massage.
The spa was excellent – the whole experience is extremely relaxing with professional staff. The hot stones massage is to be recommended.
The moans:
Overbooking! We were one of those unfortunate couples who were given a garden room for the first night on arrival despite having booked a beach villa. We managed to negotiate extra compensation beyond their initial offering of a $100 Asian Wok voucher. The garden room was dated and nowhere near on par with the refurbished beach villas – but it was literally for a few hours. We were moved promptly the next morning. Unfortunately, we were also not given a beach villa anywhere near where we had requested.
Construction work. We witnessed three locations for this: a small outhouse next to the sunset bar, another near the inland pool and larger works near the football pitch. This should not cause major alarm, however, when walking past villas nearby I was aware of some noise.
Overall, you will have a great experience at Vila. Enjoy!

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I went to the island with my family in a party of 6. This was my first time to the maldives and my parents 5th. My parents picked the island because of the reef and were really pleased that they were not disappointed although we were a bit unsure at first about how to get to it!

4 of us stayed in jacuzzi beach villas (210 and 211 north side of the island) and I would say these were placed at the best location on the island - the beach was beautiful and we were really close to the dining area and bars. The cleanliness and overall standard of furnishings was excellent. We did have some problems with hot water as we seemed to run out but given the temperature whilst we were there (about 30 all week) we were not really bothered. The AI free drinks in the room were a real plus and handy for a days sunbathing. My parents stayed in a water villa which was outstanding - really spacious and became our meeting point each evening as their front terrace was positioned towards the sunset and there were loads of fish and sharks that paid us visits each evening!

The food sleection and quality was a really high standard. Im not a fan of all inclusive set ups and thought we would get bored of eating in the same place so we considered going to a different restaurant on the island (asian wok) but each night we were all really happy with the selection on offer and often had 4 and sometimes 5 courses (my brother ate about 70/80 bread rolls throughout the holiday as they were made fresh each morning). The beef wellington, fish fresh from the grill, celeriac soup, eton mess and hand made chocolates were just gorgeous. Our waiter was also really helpful and had lots of knowledge about the island etc.

The only minus points I would say were:
- overall service by thomsons cabin crew and in flight rip offs (I have complained about this and since received a voucher)
- you had to pay to hire snorkelling equipment. My parents said that this is not the case on other islands and I would have thought this would be complimentary particulary for the all inclusive package
- the putting green is a bit pointless and needs to be worked on
- the staff at the dive center were quite rude and abrupt with us (basically if you're not a professional diver, they're not interested)
- entertainment of an evening could be worked on a little more
- there is no water available in the gym
- the lighting within the outside bars is a little too dark which when you're in a group is a bit odd

However apart from the thomsons service I really am picking here!

Overall we had just an amazing time and I would recommend going to the new arrivals meeting as Pete (thomsons rep) is really friendly and you can sign up to the various excursions on offer and get a voucher for a free massage. We did the snorkelling one and the sunset cruise and would rate both as we got to see turtles and dolphins!

I think we would all love to go back to Vilamendhoo!

Room Tip: go to the spa!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2011

We sincerely hope that it was a memorable holiday for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back as a repeat guest

The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests.

Warm Regards
Your Vilamendhoo Team
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed on Vilamendhoo 6th - 20th March and loved every minute of it

This was our second trip to the Maldives – first one was a few years ago – in retrospect we wish we had come back sooner as we had forgotten how nice it is!!

Enjoyed the seaplane journey – which was a later flight than we had planned as I had to spend time at Male airport filling in paperwork re: my misplaced diving equipment bag (which appeared to have got lost somewhere in Dubai!). This minor irritation was soon forgotten after we arrived at Vilamendhoo and had been quickly checked in – immediately we felt relaxed and completely at peace with the world!

We stayed in a Beach Villa on the south side– we couldn’t justify the extra cost for the Jacuzzi Villas - as we had every intention of sunbathing, swimming, diving, eating and drinking (these expectations were all met) and no plans to sit in a Jacuzzi. Our Beach Villa was a detached unit and absolutely immaculate and well tended to for our whole stay

We avoided the Boashi Pool in the middle of the island for the first few days as, unlike the “Infinity” Sunset Bar Pool, it was open to children – we just wanted a quiet time I guess!! When we realised that there were very few children on the island we decided to try the Boashi Pool - wished we had gone to it sooner as it was so quiet and relaxing in the afternoon after a day’s diving!

The Sunset Bar was nice to sit in and watch the sunset – and like everywhere on the island once you sat down with a beer (usually a Tiger) or a glass of wine (local and very good) it became an effort to move! Incidentally I shudder to think what our food and bar bill would have been had we not gone all inclusive – prices appeared very expensive – when we return, which we will, we will go all inclusive again

We ate in the larger of the restaurants (the Funama) – the food was different every day and a huge, well presented, choice was available – we never ate in the two a-la-carte restaurants as there was no need to -- so we cannot comment on them

The bar staff in the Bonthi Bar were brilliant, very genuine – thanks to Robin and his crew for tending to our needs

The diving was excellent - as well as the deep water boat trips which I enjoyed, we also spent a lot of time diving the beautiful house reef – loads of different access points so you can make each dive different if you choose – all sites were full of colourful fish and coral

I went to Manta-point and saw about a dozen Mantas, as well as shark, turtle, barracuda etc. I managed to dive for about 20minutes with a Whale Shark on another trip – absolutely amazing

In summary – fantastic, relaxing, very clean, excellent service, - didn’t want to come home!

Incidentally – my diving equipment turned up two days after us – happy ending!

Peter and Jane

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Despite Thompson's best efforts to delay us by 6hrs going out.(Which we were texted msg'd over 24hrs in advanced which seemed to of happened on other outbounds too all technical issues apparently.) It was a good flight out around 10.5hrs- Got to Male and transferred to our seaplane which i have to say was well organised and soon on our way to Vilamendhoo.
1st impressions were amazing the island looked stunning and the boat was on its way to pick us up from the Jetty which then took us to the island 5 mins max.

On getting to reception we were welcomed by Pete the rep and given a nice cool towel and a fruit cocktail where then we sat and filled the usuals in & then get the room key.

Now pay attention as this was my only real thing i could knock Vilamendhoo for.. There does seem to be a overbooking issue (whilst we were there) where we and a few others where affected. We did hear a bit of this for the 2wks we were there. We booked a beach villa but got put into garden villa for the night and they promised it would be all sorted the next day which in fairness they did. at this point dont be affraid to request a different room if you are not happy with the location as the further east you go down the north side of the island you struggle to have beach. so we did that and ended up in room 189.
Room - itself is spacious and nicely decorated. 4 poster bed, aircon, flatscreen tv with 40 channels and part open air bathroom which i thought was superb. Also your had the mini bar which was stocked daily and a card clearly shows you which is part of the AI package and not. basically all softdrinks and beer and water is free, choccies and wine chargable.
Beach - 25 yards and you were on it and it was great powdery white sand nice warm sea your own personal sunbeds so no running out putting the towels down. We couldnt moan at all you had all day sun and you left alone all day long it was great!!
Resturant - You are allocated a table for the whole 2 wks and also your waiter who was Abdulla in our case and he looked after us very well (Thank you). So no matter what time you turn up its all there wating for you.
Food/Drink- Good choice of food at all sittings plenty to suit all even if you fancy a curry in the morning you could have it yes you heard me right. Wine is part of the AI package too so although you sign for you drinks you will see no charge is made. The wine is good quality red,white or rose it was all good which made a change as most holidays you have cheap stuff is what you have.
Evening Entertainment - Its a little weak but to honest you dont care because your so relaxed sitting outside in nice comfy seats.
Trips - The trips were well organised no pressure no hard sell if you want to do one just put your name down and turn up at reception and your picked up from there it was great no people hassling you!! The trips we went on were fab we done the Manta/ Whale shark trips and they were great the guys are do there absolute best to find them by phoning around other contacts for tip offs. Sunset boat trip we also did which is free and a superb sunset we witnessed and to top it off we saw dolphins!!
Staff - These guys are so polite speak good English and will to chat to you and geniunly interested in you and not just looking at your wallet like turkey or eygpt say (Mohd Mum Dhooh was a star thank you my friend)
+ Points
Great sunset bar to watch the sun go down it was superb
Asian Wok just nice to go there for a change and watch the fish at night over a meal (Chargable) or drinks (Free)
Great beach and house reef so much to see the whole island pretty much you can snorkel.
Just plain perfect

- Points And im being v v picky with this that this resort is seems to be prone to overbooking

Overall a very very relaxing enjoyable holiday the place looks great after the recent refit. I would certainly go again Pete the rep was great with some very usefull info to help you enjoy your time there. This is a perfect getaway for couples loved it!!!

Thank you Vilamendhoo hope to see you again :)

I would not recommend this for kids and to be honest people who take there kids 10 hrs plus on a plane must be mad. And at this point would like to thank the child that pretty much screamed yelled etc for the whole 11hr40mins on the return flight it drove everybody nuts!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!