“Most fantastic place” 5 of 5 stars

Gosford, Australia
“Most fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

for a most relaxing and refreshing stay this retreat has to be 10 stars +++++
the location is breathe taking and very romantic it is so quiet and peaceful
We would like to thank the owners very much
we would recommend this retreat to anyone in fact we in courage anyone to go and you wont be disappointed.
Thanks again
Terry & June Mobbs

Room Tip: Pick the sea scape for unforgettable views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My husband and I were married at Sacred Mountain in what can only be described as " perfect" surroundings. Hosts Penni and Toni acted as our witness's and went to great lengths to ensure our day was everything we could wish for. A wonderful luncheon was provided and even a cake! The Panorama was private and beautifully furnished. A fresh breakfast each morning of fruit, pastries ,juice , cereals,yogurt. delivered to our door so we could sit on the balcony and enjoy the vistas, birds and sunshine. The Retreat is a perfect base to explore the surrounding areas..beaches and towns.
We will definately be returning...sooner than later!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We were booked for a stopover on our way home from up north. But Had considered our booking due to a review we had read after booking. We decided to go ahead anyway. Soo glad we did. This is surely one of Australia's best kept secrets. What a beautiful place with stunning views, walks, beaches and the loveliest cottages which were very quaint and clean. So much more than we expected. The owners Penni and Tony do not intrude on your privacy unless you need something and the cottage was equipped with information of all the area and retreat have to offer. We enjoyed a lovely massage and fresh fruit platter. Followed by a fantastic seafood platter dinner on the verandah overlooking the stunning views. Most romantic night of our whole trip. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

As soon as we arrived here I was walking around speechless, the location is out of this world, I didn't know that there were places like this that were still a secret. Our beautiful little cottage was so comfortable, the furnishings and colours were very tasteful, and I just kept saying OMG its so beautiful, we stayed in the Seaview Cottage. The owners were really friendly and made us feel very welcome, we felt special. The views were amazing and the beach only a few minutes into the best cleanest beaches I have seen. We didn't want to go and had there been a vacancy beyond our booking, we would have stayed a few more days. We have booked ahead and will be spending a week there next month in a different cottage and plan to try them all.

Room Tip: We will try them all
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our experience at Sacred Mountain Retreat was such a mixed bag I dont really know where to start.

First of all, arriving at Sacred Mountain we were blown away by the beautiful setting of the cottages and the gorgeous views. The place was exceptionally peaceful and tranquil and we felt instantly relaxed.

Myself, my husband and my 1 year old son arrived after a long drive (we were driving from Sydney to the Gold Coast and this was a 1 night stop over). The cottage we stayed in (Seascape) was very spacious but quite dated and I found it to be pretty grubby. It was fine for one night however if we had been staying longer I would have had to do some cleaning in order to be comfortable.

However, our odd experience started after our stay. Despite the grubbiness we left feeling very happy with our stay and ready to recommend it to others. Upon arriving in QLD I realised I had left a couple of items in the fridge. I logged into my email account in order to ask the owners if we could collect the items on our way back and was surprised to find an email from them.

The email was complaining that I had not informed them we "were actually a party of 3" and that I should have told them as they usually charge $40 a night for an extra guest. Never before have I come across accommodation where I was required to pay extra for my 1 year old son! We have stayed many places with him and he is always classified as an infant. As I was planning to have him sleep in our bed and as I always bring his food with us we didnt see any reason to specifically mention him (there was not a section in the booking form for infants).

They went on to say that my son damaged a pack of cards. I recall moving the cards and anthing else I thought he might be able to damage out of his reach as I always do, and I do not recall any damage to them in the slightest. Apparently they were for sale, although this was not advertised anywhere, and we were then charged for the cards due to the "damage" my son supposedly did ($15 mind you!!).

All in all the whole tone of the email was extremely rude and insulting and I was quite shocked by this after our lovely time there. The underlying inference of the email was that I was trying to rip them off, both in the accommodation charge and for the cards.

I replied to them stating I wasn't sure what an extra charge for my son would be for given he slept in our bed and had his own towel and food. I also informed them that had I known the cards were damaged, and had I been aware that they were actually for sale, I would have offered the money to them, no hesitation, without them having to ask me for it.

I received absolutely no response from them - no explanation of why on earth they would have charged me for a third person for a 1 year old and no explanation of what the supposed damage to the cards had been.

I have to say, $220 is a lot of money for accommodation of that calibre and $260 would have been absolutely outrageous.

I know this is a long winded review, however I was very confused by this whole situation and am now left wondering about the people who run it. It certainly was not a way to invite business back and left me feeling very bitter about somewhere I had actually really enjoyed staying.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
CalliAustralia, Manager at Sacred Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
At Sacred Mountain Retreat we have always taken great pride in the presentation and cleanliness of our cottages and so, we have implemented into our cleaning routine, procedures for cross checking and double checking , to ensure the highest standards of cleanliness.
The ‘SeaScape’ cottage is less than 5 years old and a favourite with regular guests . The ‘SeaScape’ receives many compliments on its decor, so we will continue the existing theme.
In accordance with our policy, we do charge for older children but do not charge for infants.
In our past 10 years of operation we have not experienced a situation where we have needed to apply our policy for damages, and we understand that it can be extremely embarrassing for a guest who is discovered declaring less people than actually stay or where the stated ages of children is dubious, but we will retain our policy of charging for damages.
At Sacred Mountain Retreat, we welcome constructive feedback as we aim to maintain the highest possible standards and provide an exceptional holiday experience.
PERTH AUSTRALIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

The cottage we stayed in was spacious and had wonderful views to the ocean and the bed was comfortable . However it did not look anything like the brochure. Perhaps we stayed in one of the older cottages as it was somewhat run down,with torn flyscreens and curtains that didnt cover the windows.Our hosts were friendly but we hardly had any contact with them and there were no dinners or massages offered.
Having read all the wonderful reviews on trip advisor we did find this b&b rather disappointing and would not call it 4 star.

• Stayed December 2010
Richmond, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

It really was a mountain retreat. You get your own home on stilts overlooking the hills and the sea.. its extremely romantic and was perfect for our honeymoon... The service was lovely and the place really unique and fun.

Highly recommend to anyone wanting to experience something a little different...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Sacred Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!