“In need of an upgrade.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
New York
“In need of an upgrade.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

First of all let me be clear- Maui is an incredible place to vacation. The view from our condo and the proximity to the beach is amazing. It had been 13 years since I've visited Maui and had stayed at Kapalua Villas when we were here last. For this return visit with my wife and two teenage boys I thought we would return to Kapalua. The Bay Villa condo we are in is long in the tooth and in serious need of an upgrade. There are no bureaus in either bedroom so there's no place to put your clothes. There are no hangers in the second bedroom closet. The kitchen supplies are slim with no salad or serving bowls. The air conditioner in the living room is broken and instead they have a portable unit which is incredibly loud. The washing machine is very noisy. The screen door on the back porch keeps coming off the track. When we first arrived I requested to change rooms and I was told by the person at the desk that she would check and get back to me, no one ever followed up. I know these issues all might sound like nit picking but when you choose a luxury resort these little things really do matter. Again, Maui is amazing and the beaches are fantastic but Kapalua Bay Villas need to demand that the owners of these condos maintain their units properly.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When mu hubby and I booked a villa, I thought- maybe the resort way to go would've been better. Decided to stick with our original idea. So glad we did. Kapalua is amazing. The villa is so much more than a "rental" it is a home. It is so comfy and has everything you could need. Way better than any hotel! The area is quiet and takes a little of driving to get around. But that is what makes it so nice. There aren't hundreds of people walking the sidewalks and running across the street like in Wailea. That place is like Disney World with volume of people. When we come back to Maui, we will stay here again and hopefully have the same villa with the amazing view and comfort.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Aloha enchilada 72,

Thank you for posting your kind review.

I am happy that you enjoyed yourself and that you really had a chance to relax during your stay with us. It is truly a wonderful thing to be able to recharge in peace and solitude. Kapalua offers many things, but the peacefulness here to me is the top feature!

Please feel free to contact me when schedule your next visit so that we can do our best to see that you get the same Villa again.

Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Kapalua Bay Villas condo was beautiful. Everything in the rooms was well kept and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We had an oceanfront villa and expected to be right on the ocean but were not. Our condo did have a beautiful oceanfront view, with one whole wall of windows opening to the ocean view.However, oceanfront here did not mean you are right on the beach-our condo was up on a hill and did not have direct, immediate access to the beach. When we inquired about it, the staff said that the beachfront places are privately owned and that our condo was one of the best of the oceanfront villas. That was disappointing.
That said, I really liked that Kapalua Bay Villas is not crowded and touristy. The grounds are beautiful and spacious with many wonderful walks. You never feel like one of the crowd there, and always feel like you have your own little piece of paradise.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha DebraKelley,

Thank you for posting your positive review about your experience here in beautiful Kapalua.

You are correct that we do not have "Beach Front" Villas. Our "Ocean Front" Villas sit on a bluff overlooking Oneloa Beach and Kapalua Bay. I apologize that this was not properly communicated to you. However, the views are beautiful and it is about 20 steps down to hit the actual sand.

I think that my favorite thing about it here in Kapalua is that is indeed very peaceful. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself!! That is what makes a perfect Hawaiian Holiday-peace and solitude!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I couldn't recommend this property more! The grounds are stunning, staff incredibly friendly and the most amazing villas on the island. Our gold two bedroom oceanview villa had 180 degrees of uninterrupted ocean views. Beautifully updated and enough space to fit 4-6 people. What an amazing experience to wake up in bed and all you see is the ocean! If you want a villa which had been recently updated I recommend booking a "gold" villa, otherwise you will end up with something older and possibly very worn. Each villa is different inside as the majority of them are owned privately but rented out through the hotel itself. The property is massive but very easy to gey around with the complimentary shuttle. If your a surfer this is the place to stay with Honolua Bay only 5 minutes down the road and views of the surf right from your room. Overall a wonderful stay and we will definitely be returning in the near future.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Aloha DLBRITT,

I am very pleased to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us on Maui! We are indeed a fantastic location for surfers (and snorkelers as well!) and folks who really want to get out and enjoy the ocean.

Thank you for posting your kind review and we look forward to hosting you again in beautiful Kapalua!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at Kapalua Villas for 6 nights in November 2014. I booked an Oceanfront "gold" Villa and based on the pictures of the oceanfront we saw online it looked gorgeous. We got there and were given a room that was very outdated with a musky smell. This definitely was NOT what we expected so we called the front desk who were very accomodating and moved us to a more updated suite right away. This was not on oceanfront condo but an oceanview in the "Ridge Villas" Secion. This was much better. We did find a dead grasshoper of some sort in our suite and at some point during our stay we came home to a note that pest control was in our unit doing cleaning (we did not get any notice of this). The condo itself was nice enough for a 6 night stay, the beach was great but you would have to drive to it, you can see turtles swimming very close to shore. All in all I would rather book at another resort where you are guaranteed the quality you expect. We wanted to go big for our honeymoon with the oceanfront gold, but didn't ended up happening, but the service and beach helped made up for some of our disspaointment.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Aloha Sasha J,

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review!

I am so sorry that the first Villa that you assigned did not meet your expectations. However, I am pleased that our staff was able to find you a more comfortable accomodations for your honeymoon. We do take our guest's observations to heart, and we pass the information on the the Villa's owners so the needed improvements are made.

I am glad that you got to see the sea turtles and enjoy our wonderful beaches! Kapalua honestly has some of my favorite beaches on Maui. It makes for a delightful island experience.

Please when you do return to Maui again contact me and I will make sure that the first Villa you are assigned is exactly what you are looking for.

Mahalo,.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Kapalua Villas is not what it used to be. Though the individual condos/villas are very nice they really lack in customer service and especially deficient in the "Aloha Spirit". I have stayed here 4 or 5 times, once every two years and since the sale of the property it is not the same as the old Kapalua Villas when it comes to customer service. At around $200 a night it is priced about right for what you get.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Aloha Michael P,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your experience here at Kapalua. Your comments are very imporant to us, however without more details I am unable address your concerns. I can not tell from your comments if you stayed in one of our managed Villas and where your bad experiences had taken place. Please feel free to contact me directly at 808-856-2204 so that you can tell me what happened.

Kapalua Villas, Maui
san jose, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in a one bedroom Kapalua Bay Villa (unit 22b4) and the views from the livingroom and kitchen area were stunning. Absolutely beautiful. Kapalua area is great, lots of stuff to do, great restaurants, beaches, etc. The beach directly below our condo was too rough to play in so we spent our time mostly at Kapalua Bay and Nipili Bay - both within about 5 minutes from our condo. The room we had was a GOLD OCEANFRONT VILLA and I'm sure that makes all the difference in the world. We literally couldn't get closer to the ocean and the views were totally unobstructed. Dale Mustard, the General Manager, was awesome and did what she could to ensure that we were happy with our accommodations. We had a welcome basket filled with lots of Hawaiian goodies. The shuttle service is a great service especially if you don't have a car. We only used it twice because we chose to drive everywhere else. We tried to have dinner at Sensai but the wait was too long. Everyone we know suggested that place. Our favorite meals were at the Pineapple Grill, located on the golf course. We had lunch the day we arrived, no ocean views but the place is beautiful if you sit on the patio. We also had dinner there one night.... out on the patio and it was awesome. Watch the waves at the beaches.... We got slammed by one totally unexpectedly. My whole purse, cell phone, clothes, towels, etc were completely drenched. Later that day, they issued a high surf warning for the next two days. We would love to return to this same condo again in the future.....but the winds we experienced may push us to try another island location. Not sure if it was the time of year we were there, or if it's typical for that area. We could go down to Lahaina which is only 10 minutes away, and the weather was totally different.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Aloha joetta2014,

Mahalo for joining us for your Thanksgiving Holiday! I am so happy that you had a wonderful time and that you and your family really enjoyed your time on Maui!

Kapalua is one of the windier (and cooler) locations on West Maui, but what you experienced had been a higher than the norm over your vacation. In fact, there was record high surf for a few days in a row! Even though it is an exciting change for us, it is not always what one wants on their vacation!

Thank you for posting your kind review, it was certainly a pleasure communicating with you. I do sincerley hope that we can host you again in the future. Feel free to reach out to me again when decide to return and we will make sure that your next visit is even better.

Kapalua Villas-Maui

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!