“home away from home - as cliche as that sounds, but it was wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kapalua Villas, Maui

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
De Smet, South Dakota
“home away from home - as cliche as that sounds, but it was wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We were "bounced off" to the villas because the Ritz-Carlton was over-booked for a week-long event. I was "disappointed" at first, but glad that we ended up staying here. We hardly considered it a hotel. Although we didn't get to use the villa to it's whole extent, it definitely felt better than the Ritz in terms of accommodations if you had kids - a kitchen, living room, TV in each bedroom of 2, one more in the living room, two baths plus 1/2, and laundry, if you care to have clean clothes on your way back to the mainland. 2 areas for BBQ and a million-dollar view of the golf course. Plus, since most flights left late at night, they allow you to use their spa which was better than some spas in the country that claim to be high-end. It was in an area where Maui-ans would say - "oh, yes, there". Access to restaurants was not bad - we went to a Chinese restaurant - off the beaten path, 3 times, for the best calamari we have ever had. And we are Asians. Best selling point - quiet, relaxing, exactly what you would expect, but not quiet that far from civilization, if you hunger for it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Aloha bebot1,

Mahalo for posting your review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! The Villas are ideal for families, lots of space, full kitchens and washers and dryers, some of the
conveniences of home all in a resort area!

I know of what restaurant that you are speaking of, though I have to admit I have not tried it yet, but calamari is one of my favorite things so I will make sure to do so!

I sincerely hope that you will let us host you and your family again on your next visit to Maui! Please let me know if there is anything at all we can do for you.

Kapalua Villas-Maui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Lufkin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have never written a review but I feel a need to. My wife, 14 year old daughter and I stayed eight nights in June 2014 at the Kapulua Villas. I had made reservation 6 or 7 months in advance. I reserved an "ocean front" gold villa and had requested to be as close to the ocean as possible on the second level. It was going to be a very special trip being our daughters first trip to Maui and other reasons. After making the reservations I called the Kapalua Villas 4 or 5 times to make sure everything was going to be perfect. About one month our, I called to ask which villa we would be staying in. I was told to call back one week before our trip. When I called one week before our trip and asked which villa I was told for security reasons they could not give me that information! I was told to call back the day before our trip. I did and was told by a not so nice woman she could not give me that information. now I am not happy. I waited 2 hours and called again. this time I talked to another woman and she was very nice. she told me for security reasons she could not tell me which villa we would be in, but she could tell me it was close to the ocean but on the first (ground) level. She also said that I would be happy with the view. When we checked in I was told that we would be in "19-B". Now, I had done my research and I knew the layout of all the "ocean front" gold villas. I told the girl that villa is not close to the ocean. she told me it was closest to the beach access (not true). Villa 19-B is farther away from the ocean than any other ocean front villa and it was on the second level. So in the last 24 hours, they had switched us to a different villa. Now I am really MAD!!! I called and talked to the manager "Dale." She was very nice but there was nothing she could do but give me a discounted rate. I accepted and tried to forget it. I also told Dale that the villa was not clean and there was a large dead roach in the dining room. No one ever came to clean. The main A/C unit was not cooling very well so I called maintenance. They were there in a few minutes and was very nice. He said the unit was working but was undersized for the space. My wife and I gave our daughter the upstairs master bedroom because it was hot and she is cold natured so it worked out. The day we were to leave, the clothes dryer stopped working. Maintenance came and changed out the timer. Only thing the dryer ran all night and never shut off. When I checked out, I was asked at the front desk if I wanted to put the charges on the credit card they were holding. I said no, I would like to use my personal debit card and not my company credit card if possible. He said it would be no problem. Don't get me wrong the villa was nice, the view was good and Kapalua was incredible. When I got back to my office two days later, my office manager told me that the credit card company had called. They were checking to see if the $4000.00 charge was legitimate and not fraud. My charge for the stay was $3000.00 on another card. 24 hours after we left, Kapulua Villas charged my company $4000.00. I called the villas and I told "Ernie" about the charge and he told me that they have no record of that card. I told him it was the same card I made the reservation with and the one they had on file during my stay. He said that he would check it out and call me back and he never did. I waited a week and called Dale and left two messages for her to call me. I has been over five weeks now, still not call!! I had to call the credit card company and cancel my card to stop the charges.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Aloha Gary A,

Thank you for posting your review. I am very sorry to hear of the complications you experienced during and after your stay with us.

It is standard industry practice not to give out room numbers prior to a guests arrival. This is a security measure as we can never be sure who is actually calling. It is always better to go on the side with caution. I am sure that you understand and appreciate the need for this.

I am sorry that your room was not as close to the beach access as you would have like. 19b2 is actually one of our closest units to the beach access, (beach access is by building 21, building 20 was having exterior work done, you were in building 19 ). Keep in mind that not all of the Villas are in our rental pool, though it may appear there were other Villas closer, there very well might not have been.

I remember speaking with you and I did dispatch housekeeping out to your Villa. I am sorry to hear that no one arrived. I will be sure to look into that to see what had happened.

In regards to your messages, at the time you said that you had left them, I was hospitalized and was away from work for over a week. I did not have any messages from you after my return, I am not sure what happened to them. If you can be so kind to call me in my office direct at 808-856-2204 I would be happy to take a look at your account for you. I checked with accouting and they say that they did not see anything, so I suspect it was an authorization since it was the card that you checked in with, and those automatically come off 7-10 working days after your stay. Without looking at your account I can not be to sure so if you can reach out to me again I would appreciate it.

Again, thank you for posting your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Ashby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Firstly, the situation of the Bay villas is outstanding, they're large, well outfitted and the Gold ocean view has breath-taking views, especially from the bedroom. There are 3 superb beaches within easy walking distance offering great snorkelling and the grounds are beautifully maintained, however:
We booked 6 days at a Gold Ocean View villa through our UK travel agent as part of our ambitious 2 week honeymoon (New Orleans, Vegas and San Francisco), the travel agent made the resort aware that it was our honeymoon, confirmed the booking by email and had a response which they passed onto us. On arrival, Kapalua villas were very pleased to announce that they were offering us a free upgrade at no extra charge to a Gold Ocean View (which is what we'd paid for anyway) and were very surprised to hear it was our honeymoon. We were very surprised to hear about the $150+ taxes resort fee they hadn't informed our agent of, and even more surprised to hear about the $130 cleaning fee when we had 2 emails from our agents supplier telling them it was $50.
We didn't have time to visit the spa and had nothing to do with the golf, so the resort fee was extortionate. On top of the rest of our holiday this was something we could have done with some warning about to allow us to budget for it.
To be fair, they did send a bottle of fizzy wine to the villa to congratulate us, but the overall lack of communication about extra costs to anyone not booking direct on their website left a bitter taste to what would otherwise would have been absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Ocean view gold are definitely worth the extra
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Kirstie303,

Thank you for your review! First of all let me congratulate you on your recent marriage! Maui is certainly an ideal honeymoon destination and I am delighted that you chose to stay with us.
The Bay Villas are lovely with the close proximity to the beach below and breathtaking views.

I am sorry to hear that you were not made aware of the daily resort and checkout cleaning fees. We make sure in all of our communications with Travel Agents that these fees are part of the stay. I am disapointed to hear that this information was not passed on to you.

I do hope that you chose the "Valley Isle" again for an anniversary trip. Please feel free to contact me when you do and we will make sure that you are taken care of.

Allentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I'm sitting on the back porch of our villa having breakfast on the 8th day of a 9-day stay. We are situated on the 9th fairway and I'm looking at the green grass, the blue ocean and the Island of Lanai off in the distance. It is perfectly quiet with only the sound of the breeze and the birds. Our unit is a "Gold" partial ocean view. The view is not disappointing; it's lovely.
I'm here with my wife and two children ages 9 and 11. The unit is quite large and, in my mind, a fantastic value. Many of the single hotel rooms here cost as much as this unit. Suites at nearby hotels are double the nightly rate that we are paying. Here we have space, a yard, places to play ball and throw a frisbee. What we don't have is the big resort pool and resort activities that the kids like so much. I'm happier here though. There are a few pools on the complex and they are nice. There are quite a few activities available and the concierge has been excellent.
The condo is modern, well equipped, quite large, and very comfortable. Everything works too. I recommend the nearby Napili Market for groceries.
I've been all over the world but I have never been to Maui. When I've talked to people who have been here, they get this far away look in their eye and a relaxed posture. Now I know why. It's amazing here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha Chillman,

Thank you for taking time out of your day and posting your postive review! As your user name suggests, you like to have the oppourtunity to relax while you are on vacation and it sounds like the Golf Villas were a good fit for you and your familly! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again in beautiful "chill" Kapalua soon, please let me know what I can do to make your next stay even more memorable.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

OK, first my one complaint: the concierge told us things just to try to get us to book tours. I understand - she probably gets a commission, but that doesn't mean you should be misleading. She told us the Road to Hana was dangerous, and though we didn't drive the whole thing, what we did drive was no different than Highway 1 in California, which we mentioned we had done. She also told me I could just find the trails if I didn't want to take the shuttles, but I don't think she really knew where they were. OK. Enough of that. Resort was everything we could want.

We booked a partial ocean view, and the only slight negative I would offer is that the "partial" view was quite partial, but that was simply due to beautiful pines lining the fairways of the plantation course at Kapalua. We got upgraded to "gold" golf villa, which I think means that it has been remodeled because everything was fresh and new. We were with our two young daughters, and though we could have gotten by with only one bedroom, the girls (10 and 11) were thrilled to have their own room with a TV! (Now they want one at home, but no way; that's a vacation-only perk.) The bathrooms had huge showers with great water pressure and quick hot water to wash away sand from the beaches. The lanai picked up breezes that made it the perfect place to relax in the morning or the evening. The kitchen was stocked with plenty of glassware and cooking utensils so that we managed to cook most of the nights we were there and saved a little money, which is vital for those of us on a budget in Maui. Then again, my husband used some of that saved money to play golf, but who can blame him. Their courses are immaculate.

Everything on the resort is walkable, but they also have a shuttle to take you where you need to go, and the little Honolua Store on site has food and necessities you might need. We enjoyed all the beaches on the property and still fit in time to refresh in the pool near our condo, which was the perfect temp. Heck, lots of things seem darn near perfect in Maui. If we go back, we may have to try the Bay Villas so we can be on the water.

Room Tip: Golf Villas are just that - a view of the golf course. If you want ocean view, you'll need to g...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha TexasMargs,

Thank you for posting your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Kapalua Villas. The Golf Villas are very nice and relaxing. I love the pine trees up there.

I am sorry to hear that you felt that did not get accurate information from the concierge service. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to them for you. I really enjoy the road to Hana, it is lovely and it is something that you really want to take your time to do.

Please let me know personally next time you and your family will be returing to Kapalua. I wold be very pleased to take care of you.

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Words just can’t do this place justice. We were in a Ridge Villa, a free upgrade from a Golf Villa due to early booking & it was incredible. A full ocean view with an absolutely wonderfully laid out villa, all ‘mod cons’, free Wi-Fi, everything about it was just fabulous. Super location & better if you like golf with an excellent course. To wake up in the morning to the views was just incredible. Beaches are idyllic & there is a free courtesy shuttle service upon request, which takes you around the resort. There is a very well stocked General Store on site which has everything you would need for a self-catering stay, at excellent prices – made better with the strength of the £ against the $ - however if you do prefer eating out then there are options, we especially liked the Pineapple Grill. Whatever you do just make sure you get a Villa with at least a partial ocean view or a Ridge Villa if possible, you won’t regret it trust me.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Aloha J0seyWhales,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day in posting your favorable review! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Kapalua Villas! We are honored that you chose to stay with us during your vacation on Maui.

The Pineapple Grill is one of my favorites as well. Excellent food with beautiful views of the Bay Golf Course, you can't beat that!

Please let us know when you decide to jump across "the pond" again (or two!) and visit Maui, we would be happy to see you again!

Unknown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our family of five had a great time at Kapalua Villas. When we arrived, we realized we were upgraded to a gold villas partial ocean view from a gold villas golf course view. Such a surprising upgrade for both hubby and I and our three girls (their first time to Maui)... Having the home-like feeling while away was really nice. We were able to cook and do laundry (detergent supplied by Kapalua Villas). I really would stay here again.

The only reason why I am not giving the resort 5*s is because of the pool situation... I so wish there was a main pool with fancy slides... Other than that, the resort was fabulous!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha spa_mama_ca,

Thank you for your favorable review! I am happy to here that you enjoyed your stay here at the Kapalua Villas and the you appreciated your upgrade!

Our villas are very handy for families traveling being that they are well appointed with full kitchens so that you do not have the hassle and expense of dining out for every meal.

Indeed, we are not a full service resort with a large pool equipped with slides. However, we do have eight small pools located throughout our resort for guest use. Having a large pool as such would take away from the peacefulness of our location.

We look forward to hosting you and your family again at the Kapalua Villas soon!

Kapalua Villas-Maui

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!