“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Breezy Point, Minnesota
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed here for 6 days, and would have liked to have stayed much longer. We stayed in a gold ocean view, and it was breath taking. The condo and the grounds were immaculate. If you like quiet, luxury accomadations, this is the place to stay. If you want the busier beach/hotel zone, then something a little closer to Lahaina might suit you better.
The Villas are actually close to everything. There are 2 nice snorkeling bays just 1-2 miles west, and Lahaina is a short 10-15 minute drive to the east. For us, this was the perfect place, and would certainly consider staying here if there is a next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
KVL-Management, Guest Relations Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Aloha Gary T,

thank you for posting your delightful review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the property. You have noted a couple of good tips for guests who are debating on staying here.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

reservations@kapaluavillas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just returned from a week long stay here. It was our first time to Maui and we liked it. The resort is great. Great location, clean, etc... We had a Gold villa with ocean view and we were steps away from the communal pool. There are three or so pools in and among the villas. They are small, but they do the trick. There are NO hot tubs in any of these pools though. I thought that was a HUGE miss on their part. We all would have liked daily access to a hot tub, but the only hot tub at the entire resort is at the Spa, where you have to be an adult (older than 16) to use it. Our unit was a single level, 2 bedroom. It was perfect for our family of 5. Two kids slept in the first bedroom and the third slept on the pullout couch in the living room. The living room is quite large as is the master suite so we were able to close the door to our suite and not feel like we were locked in a tiny room. After paying for lots of 2 queen bed hotel rooms, I will never do it again after having 2 bedrooms. This is the way to go if you've got kids who go to bed at 8:30. You can actually have some down time and not wake everyone else up.

What did I not like?

First, it's just about the windiest place on the planet. For 6 out of the 7 days, we had what felt like hurricane force winds. Seriously! Yes, you can drive elsewhere to escape the winds, but that's kind of a pain, especially when you're paying this much.

Second, there are NO towels at the pools. Pretty much every hotel I've ever been to has towels for use at the pool. I was actually kind of stunned. They do supply you with a ton of bath towels in your unit, but bath towels are kind of inadequate as beach/pool towels and it takes up a lot of room in your bags if you pack beach towels.

Third, you get ZERO room service during your entire stay. By room service, I don't mean food delivered to your unit, I mean replenishing towels, making beds, etc...We have 3 kids. One of them had a nighttime accident and so we went to the resort office and asked if we could have a replacement set of sheets. We were told that they normally cost $60. What??? Things are expensive in Hawaii, but in what universe is it acceptable to charge guests $60 for a spare set of sheets??? They ended up waiving the fee for us, but for other families with children, you should know this. There is, we discovered later, a washer/dryer in the closet of the guest bedroom. Sucks to have to do wash on your vacation, but it beats getting charged $60.

Finally, there is a $25/day resort fee and for the life of me, I don't understand what you get for it. If I'm paying $25/day, I would expect a maid to come in daily (similar to a hotel room) and tidy up the place. They tell you it gets you advanced tee times (I don't play golf), access to the spa (I didn't go), and towels at the beach (I used them one day).

I think I'd go back, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm tempted to try somewhere else where you might get room service daily and which was less windy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aloha E K,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your villa and have realized you enjoy some aspects of condominium travel.

I apologize that you were not informed of some of the features and services ahead of time. There is a washer and dryer in each of the units and guests are able to wash and dry their clothes, linen and towels. We also provide detergent for the first few loads in the unit for guest use. The $60.00 fee you are referencing is for the towels and linen to be replaced as well as the other amenities in the unit, i.e. detergent, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in a future booking at the property.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

It was just perfect--- The day we arrived. The next day the weather made us run to Kaanapali or elsewhere on the island for sunshine and calm waters. In Kapalua, it was consistently windy and rainy for about 7 of our 9 days. So sadly we never did swim at one of the three lovely beaches.
But if you have good weather- it would be heaven. Our unit had an amazing view of Oneola Beach (waves crashing!) and was oceanfront above the beachside trail. The kitchen had everything you could want, with nice furnishings and a great layout- generous master suite upstairs, and kitchen, living dining downstairs with generous patio, with fabulous view. Did I mention the amazing whales we saw breaching from our patio! Beautiful.
So if weather could be guaranteed, I would definitely come back, but since it can't be, I would probably choose Kaanapali- a bit crowded, but the sun was magically always shining there.

Room Tip: Be sure to get oceanfront, "gold" level, which has updated kitchens and baths and new furn...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aloha AppaGirl,

thank you for taking the time to post your delightful review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately we had some very unusual weather in all of Maui in April and I'm sorry that put a damper on your stay. I'm sure you would have enjoyed the beaches on property very much.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in kapalua villas 3 times. For a family of four it is lots of space we had 2 master suites and a pull out couch. Full kitchen and patio overlooking the bay golf course with a view of the ocean. Seriously you get luxury for what you would pay to stay at the Maui holiday inn. Weekly rentals and making some simple meals enable us to stay 2 weeks. The best 2 beaches are less then a 5 min drive: DT Fleming for great waves to boogie board and kapalua bay for calm snorkeling. Grocery stores are 10 min drive even a Safeway for pure comfort. We are golfing ( combination of kid rate, twilight and villa rate makes it very reasonable) surfing and tanning.
Very few people bc of the space during what is the busiest time of year ( spring break)
Dare I say great savings and still luxurious in Maui
This is NOT a resort but your own townhouse!!

• Stayed March 2014
Aloha Roadtrip,

thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review and thank you for staying with us once again. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and it seems as though you are the type of traveler who truly embraces the condo travel lifestyle.

Thank you for noting some information that is helpful for our future guests. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Beautiful two-bedroom two-story condo with lanais on 2 levels. Well furnished and kitchen well stocked with pots, pans and appliances. We loved the view. That said, we reserved a beachfront unit which was taken away from us after it was too late to find another place. The coastal trail below the development is nice. I did not enjoy having to drive at least 30 minutes one-way to get to a restaurant, grocery store or activity other than Kapalua Beach (or golf of course). Though beautiful, this crowded development far from everything was not the place for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ikena H, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Aloha Susan M.

Mahalo for your review of your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your villa and your view. While Kapalua can be a bit remote, many of our guests come to Kapalua to enjoy a quiet atmosphere. It is surprising to hear your description of Kapalua as a crowded development, as most of the comments we receive reflect the exact opposite. Many of the larger grocery stores are located approximately 15 minute drive away in Lahaina; we hope that you were aware of the Napili Market, which is located within a few minutes’ drive south of Kapalua. I'm concerned to hear that your beach front condo was taken away from you, as I cannot find any records of downgrading any guest in 2014. Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would be interested in discussing your particular situation to see what happened.

Mahalo for your comments and we hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Ikena Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Very nice and comfortable accommodations. Has 4 pools on the property but only the main pool is heated. The two pools we went to were both nice and clean. Our unit had a nice view of the golf course and the ocean. Would definitely stay here again. Is close to many nice beaches, restaurants and other amenities.

Stayed March 2014
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This property is wonderful. The grounds are immaculate. When renting, choose the term Gold room for sure as they will be newly renovated. While we were there we saw many more units getting a facelift. We stayed in the Fairway view villas for seven nights and were not disappointed. The property is over 23 thousand acres of lush grounds with a world class golf course. A special treat is the free shuttle that takes you anywhere on the property including any of the three gorgeous beaches. Yes, there was some termite action but that was easily overlooked. We will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!