“Best place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Kapalua
Cary, North Carolina
“Best place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

In February 2013, we made an online reservation for a "Gold 1 Bedroom Ocean View Villa" for 4 nights at The Kapalua Villas' website - for our honeymoon in May 2013 :)

Why did we book here: The great property reviews on tripadvisor, travelers' photos, and pricing fit our budget

When we got there: We reached the property and the front desk staff explained every detail about the property, expenses, spa locations, why the $25 resort fee, optional extra cleaning fee, etc. things in detail. It was all we knew from our online reservation - no new shocks or surprises.

We were given keys to Ridge Villa 1-24 and the moment we unlocked the door and stepped in - we fell in love with the Villa!! It was spacious, warm, welcoming, clean, offered a great view, had 2 bathrooms, air-conditioning worked great!
(And all this is coming from someone who is a picky traveler and travels atleast twice a month for work and stays in only 3-star and above hotels).

Because of all the previous bad reviews, I had my picky OCD glasses on - to find stains, roaches, smell - nothing found :)

The master bathroom was huge :O And the other bathroom was still a full bath, with laundry services and supplies in it. Great help!!

We shopped a lot of grocery items and gifts at Honolua Store (and a lunch to go once from the cafe indoors). Also has a coffee & smoothie shop inside with great menu :)

We used their spa every day except the first day - and we believe it is their hidden gem (not mentioned too often in the reviews). From the first tour we got when we went there first time to the last time we went in for jacuzzi, pool, steam, sauna and spa services, we were always welcomed with warm smiles. They provide you towels, bath robe, slippers, changing room, locker, shampoo, conditioner, body-wash, hair dryer, curling irons, hair brush, body mist.. literally everything you'd expect at a spa! They even had a swimsuit water extractor in the spa - so thoughtful! You can just go relax or go hit their gym which has the latest equipment in there. (I'm guessing) the spa is open 7 am to 7 pm - I would have loved it to be open little longer in the evening to come relax - but for that hubby and I used the pool next to our villa (there were 2 pools in Ridge Villas "neighborhood"). If people use the spa, they easily earn back that $25 resort fee they've been complaining about.

We were a 15 minute drive from Lahaina Historical District (which would be equivalent to downtown if you like to go hang out).

The internet/wi-fi was great and I could FaceTime and stream videos with no problems.

The Kapalua Villas provided us exactly what we were looking for - a quiet, serene, beautiful place where we could stay, relax and enjoy and make great memories. We will be back!! :)

Room Tip: Go for GOLD and use the spa atleast once!

576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

stayed at the kapalua golf villas with 3 other friends as part of a golfing trip.

we had a 3 bed villa overlooking the course whihc was fantastic. the villa was made more for a family by having a huge master with big walk in robe and desk and plenty of space, a smaller double room and a small twin room. it didnt work for our group too well being 4 adults.

the pool area was nice with bbqs.

you really need a car to get around the areas it would be quite a walk to get to the couple of restaurants in kapalua.

the course was in bad shape as it rained THE WHOLE DAY we played andf the greens and fairways had just been cored. therefore wait until july before you play.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The reviews of the villas on TA are varied and upon further reading, seems that the "gold" villas (which is the level we rented) fare well. And we would attest to that. All was as expected, and then some. We stayed 7 nights in a 1 bedroom Ridge villa and there was plenty of room for an extended stay. The master bath is the largest we have had in any hotel or condo. The kitchen and baths were very well done and furnishing better than usual in a rental villa. I booked a "partial" ocean view which was fine but next time would go for the full ocean view because we could see from the golf course that the views would be spectacular. Having a kitchen, we ordered takeout from nearby Sansei Japanese/sushi restaurant several nights as a break from dining out, and meals on the small lanai were secluded and relaxing. This was the best condo rental we have had anywhere and one of the best accomodations overall.

Room Tip: At least in our case, "gold" standard really lived up to expectations. And while we did no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 wonderful nights at the Golf Villa at Kapalua Villas in a newly remodeled and furnished condo. On the last day we visited the Kapalua Spa. All personnel were friendly and we enjoyed the pools and saunas very much. For lunch while at poolside, I ordered a fresh Spinach/Strawberry salad. 1/4 of the spinach in the salad was wilted with black edges, so much so that I had to pick through the entire salad to find edible pieces that didn't smell old. The server did not return to poolside until I had picked through the salad and eaten what I could. When I told the server what had happened and showed her the salad, she simply said, "OK," that she will tell the kitchen. When I paid my bill at the spa's front desk and told them of my salad, the receptionist/cashier simply said "Oh, I heard that." There was never an apology and they simply took my money to pay for the salad and other food we had purchased. At a place that touts organic and fresh everything, it was very disappointing to not even get an apology. It left a very bad taste in my mouth (not only from the old spinach) about the resort as a whole. It seems everyone is friendly and helpful until there is a complaint.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Escondido
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Like so many others, we arrived early. We are at the mercy of airline schedules. We arrived at the complex at 12 PM and when we asked about an early check in we were told the unit was not ready to come back a 3PM. There was absolutely no effort to accommodate us. Just no. I asked if there was another villa they could put us in and again the answer was no. The desk person said they would ask housekeeping to expedite the cleaning and that she would call us when the villa was available. That call never came. After being awake since 3 in the morning and sitting in a plane for five and one half hours, we drove around aimlessly wasting time, energy and gas until 3 o'clock.
When we finally got to the villa, we discovered we had a perfect view of a vacant lot covered with dead vegetation and a exposed sprinkler system. Not what we had asked for. I drove back to the front desk to ask for another villa. Believe it or not, another vacant villa miraculously was available. By this time we were so disgusted I didn't bother to ask why we couldn't have been assigned that villa three hours ago.
We now move into the villa. We open the door and there in the middle of the floor to greet us was a dead cock roach. The unit was filthy. Hand prints all over the front door. Stains on the sofa, which by the way was purchased from good will in the 70's. So dirty and out of date. And this unit was pawned off on us as a "gold" unit. We were both so exhausted we just wanted to relax and go the sleep. Since the air conditioner unit was placed directly outside our bedroom and was shared with the villa above us, it ran continuously. Continuously. Right outside our bedroom.
Move ahead one day. After killing two more cock roaches, I called the front desk to report the infestation. The desk person said they would send maintenance in the morning to spray. They never showed up.
We decided to try to have a meal in the villa. I went to load the dishwasher when we finished, only to find that the handle to open it was missing, as if to let us know we were not to use it. Now I need a drink. Lets move to the blender. It would not mix. I removed the glass pitcher to find that all the plastic latches on the drive were missing. So it doesn't work.
This is only day two of an eight day vacation.

Lets talk about bait and switch. When I booked this vacation, I booked through my primary airline. When I did the sort to find where we wanted to stay, prices were shown as daily rates. These are the rates used to compose the package price so we can compare prices with all the available accommodations. Now I get to the fine print. 25 dollars a day resort fee. For what? I read the list if things included and the only thing we used was parking. We don't spa. We don't golf. We don't wifi. They charged us to park at the villa's. Maid service. For a one bedroom, $50 a day. That buys you trash removal and fresh towels. 50 bucks. If you want fresh bedding and clean towels, now its 130 dollars a day. I'm a retired salesman and I traveled for my business for 15 years and in all that time, I have never seen the likes of this. Hidden fees, surcharges and anything else to hide the true cost of a stay. Pathetic.
When we finally got home, I was checking charges on our credit cards to insure accuracy. After the experience I had at Kapalua Villas, I had to be sure they didn't add more double secret fees. To my amazement, there was a credit equal to one days stay. Now, after the experience we had, I thought that was a stand up gesture. A token to show some good will. I called my wife to the computer to show her and she agreed that it was a nice gesture and because of that gesture, we moved on. Now, I check our accounts every day. Guess what? The very next day the credit was removed with no trace of its existence. So much for their gesture of good will. We read in the paper that the occupancy rate in Muai has never been higher. I guess when that many people come to the islands, you can treat then any way you wish and not be concerned with repeat business. But lets be very clear here. If this is future of travel to the Hawaiian Islands, I guess its finally time to try a different destination.
We have been coming to Maui for over 14 years. This was our first stay at Kapalua Villa and I can guarantee, it will be out last. My wife works for one of the largest high line retailers in the US. She was questioned by several of her fellow employees regarding our vacation at the Kapalua Villas. Gee, I wonder what she told them.

Room Tip: My tip to fellow vacationers. Stay somewhere else.
Oakley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the kapalua golf villas unit 12p3. With my in laws my husband and 6 year old son.Idid a lot of researching before our stay. I am the type of person who goes directly to the bad reviwes so I can see what we COULD possibly be in for. I found some stories of roaches, bad smelling bed spreads and found they had two types of units. Gold and standard. I immediately called and requested an upgrade which they gave me. When we arrived it was perfect onky thing I would ask for is a few more pots and pans.. and the vaccuum belt was broken..other than that location is great practically had the pool to ourselves the entirectime which was right next to our villa. Beaches are beautiful and snorkeling was great at kapalua bay. Ate at the pineapple grill on the resort and did not feel we got what we paid for. Cooked in almost every other night of our 7 day stay. Yes I would retu Dr n again. Ps spa is beautiful!

• Stayed May 2013
Windsor, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and so excited to get to Maui and get to Kapalua Villas. First when we booked the room we requested a noon check in time since we were arriving in Maui at 9AM and would have wanted to check in early, get changed and enjoy the beach for an afternoon after a long flight. When we arrived at noon the woman at the front desk was quite rude and surprised that we requested an early check in and were there at noon to check in. She called the housekeeping staff to check on our room and see if it was ready which it wasn't. Not sure how often they get early check in requests, but you think they'd try to meet their clients requests as much as they can. It just seemed like they don't make that effort. She told us she'd call us when the room was ready so we went off sightseeing and returned at 9PM and never received a call from her. Again, made it seem like they don't care about their clients.
When we got into our Ridge Villa it was beautifully updated and nice. We were happy with it although it was a little far from the beach but not a bad walk and they also had parking near the beach which was fine. The air conditioners make some rattling noises, but not too bad. This was the end of our good trip...next we saw roaches in our villa and some dead ones outside. Then one day we heard something shuffling around in the kitchen and didn't know what it was. My husband took a look under the stove and there were 2 mice on one of those sticky pads under there. We were shocked by this and didn't even think to call the front desk since it was our second to last day at the villa and frankly didn't want to move to another villa for 1 day. Upon checkout, my husband mentioned the roaches and mice to the front desk so they'd know there was a problem and they said they were surprised because people have never mentioned to them that their villas have roaches and mice in them. Well obivously they had to have known there was an issue with this villa since there was a terminex receipt in one of the kitchen drawers and there was 5 other mouse traps under the sink and who knows where else in that unit there were traps. They told us they'd take the villa off their list and get it checked out, but I am sorry to say, I don't think they would do that. From what I am reading on this site, there are plenty of other people who have seen bug issues in their units, so I am not buying that they aren't aware of any bug issues in their villas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ikena H, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Aloha Lissa727,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Although we have been in contact since your stay directly, I would like to take the time to explain some of the unfortunate circumstances that occurred during your stay with us for all of our valued Trip advisor readers.

When we receive early check-in requests, we do try our best to accommodate them. During an unusually busy April and May, many of the check-ins are also check-outs the same day. Our posted check-in time is 3pm, and it can prove to be very difficult to clean all villas checking in earlier then 3pm. Our general policy if guests check-in prior to 3pm, and their villa is not ready, is to take their phone number and call the guest if the villa is ready before 3pm. Often our cleaners require all the time available between these check-ins and check-outs, releasing the villas at 3pm. In these cases, we generally do not make the call out to our guests knowing that during the pre-registration process we confirmed that the villa would be ready no later then 3pm. I will take this opportunity to speak with the front desk staff and make sure that they are clear when they explain the early check-in process with our guests. It is important to note that in the event we are unable to accommodate an early check-in, our guests are welcome to drop off their luggage with the front desk, utilize the beautiful Kapalua Spa facilities, and start enjoying their day. In your case I'm glad that you were still able to go site seeing and enjoy the island until 9pm.

Pest control is a subject that we take extremely seriously, and is required to maintain pest free villa in our tropical climate where they would otherwise thrive. All villas are scheduled for regularly scheduled pest control, and when signs of additional treatments are needed (in your case) we take additional measures to put the villa out of order and address the issues. With that being said, I would like to apologize for the unacceptable conditions in your villa. I can assure you, your comments at check-out, as well as the detailed discontent of your stay with us is something that we both regret hearing, as well as utilize to better the quality of the accommodations and services we provide our guests.

This particular villa has been placed out of order, and to date has still not been placed back into our inventory. We are working closely with the property association, who schedules and maintains the pest control process, to assure that the villa is eliminated of any pests.

We want to express our sincere apologizes for allowing this to happen on your special occasion, and will do everything within our power to make up for our shortcomings. I will continue to work directly with you to find a solution to these problems, as we would relish in the opportunity to change your opinion about The Kapalua Villas, both our staff and our accommodations. Once again, mahalo for taking the time to leave these valuable comments regarding your stay. Congratulation on your wedding, and the best of wishes to you both.

Me ke aloha pumehana (with warm regards)

Ikena Hill
The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Front Office Manager

Been to The Kapalua Villas? Share your experiences!