“This is doing Maui the right way!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
San Antonio, Texas
“This is doing Maui the right way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Kapalua Villas are all individually owned but the one that we stayed in was EXCELLENT. It was a 1 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath that had a balcony overlooking the water, it's own kitchen with a bar to sit at, 4 seater table... There is a little shop/deli type store that you can purchase some food at by order or snacks as well as souvenir type things (this is on the main road/Office Road). We stayed at a golf villa which was awesome & there are pro golf tournaments held on the course that is alongside the villas.

Safeway is the place you can go to get groceries if you would like to save some money and cook in your villa. Also, the shopping is close. You can go to Ka'anapali beach for some great snorkeling or Lahaina for shopping along the street or to see the Banyan tree. All within about 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Desert Southwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed in 2721 at the Ridge Villas and it was the best stay we have had in Maui yet. The location is great for the true traveler. Out of the hustle and bustle of Lahaina and Kaanapali with great views of the channel. Nothing beats watching whales play while enjoying a fresh fruit plate on the patio first thing in the morning.
We have stayed in both a standard golf villa as well and it is definitely worth the money to stay in the gold villas, although both were great. The bed was very comfortable, the furnishings were up to date, and the floor plan is very roomy. About half of our party stayed at the Kapalua Villas. we were able to experience the gold one and two bedroomsat the Golf, Ridge, and Bay Villas. I personally thought the ridge villas had the best views, while the Bay Villas had the best soundtrack. I really felt at peace sipping a vodka tonic and twist while listening to the waves crash on the rocks.
We were married at Kapalua Bay beach so we definitely enjoyed the property. The nearby beaches are some of the best on Maui...great snorkeling at Kapalua Bay and a sick shore break for those brave enough to hit up Flemming. We ate at Sansei, the Iron Imu, the Plantation House and the Honolua store...all within a short walk except for the plantation house. They were all very different but very good. The access to the Ritz facilities and spa and the associated discounts were fantastic. My wife enjoyed the Spa and had her make up and hair done at the Ritz for the wedding.
Finally, the staff. All very friendly...right from the GM Mr Osterling and the Manager Mr Hill to the grounds people and the front desk were very friendly and cheery. They checked on us upon check in to make sure everything was in order...it was. After that, we did not here from the staff until check out, not because they weren't attentive, but because everything was perfect to begin with. We will be back!

Room Tip: The higher number ridge villas have great views. The Golf Villas are a little older, but a great va...
Victoria, BC, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked three separate units for our family group of 12 for March 2013. It was booked through Outrigger. It is not clear from the outrigger site that each unit has very different furnishings and is of very different quality. One of our three units was terrible. Stains on the ceilings, not updated in at least 20 years, musty smell. The smell was narrowed to a particular piece of furniture that we put out on the lanai. We complained and said the unit was unacceptable but the villas were sold out and we were given no options. My unit was definitely better appointed but again appliances that had to be 20 years old, the oven barely got hot at 500C. We left a list of deficiencies with housekeeping including a toilet that wouldn't stop running. We booked this based on a recommendation from a friend who's judgement we trust but it must be that you have to book a ocean front gold villa to get the quality that outrigger advertises. We have had good stays at outriggers before so was very disappointed in the misleading site info. While we still had a great vacation, we would never come back to the villas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ikena H, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Aloha AandB1015,

Mahalo for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you had some problems with your villas. Our villas are individually owned, and thus do have different furnishings from one to another. I would like to ask that you contact me personally with your reservation details as I would like to address the issues you mentioned in your comments. It's unfortunate that we were unable to find you another villa for you, as we always try our best to accommodate our guests requests, although occupancy constraints can be difficult to avoid.

I'm glad that regardless of the issues you encountered, you were still able to enjoy your vacation. If you choose to return to Maui one day, I hope that you will give us a chance to change your opinion about our villas to a positive one, as many fellow reviewers have testified to.

Mahalo,

Ikena Hill
ikena.hill@outrigger.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We've stayed in the Villas quite a few times. They used to allow access to the Ritz Pools but alas, no more. New this time was access to the Spa, which was nice but definitely not a place for kids. The Villas are an excellent value (and a Gold Villa is worth the price). We stay in the Fairway Villas which afford a great view of the 10th Fairway (Bay Course) as well as sunset over the ocean. The Villas allow us to cook our own meals if we want (or a simple breakfast and lunch while saving dining dollars for dinners out). The Kapalua Resort offers shuttle service anywhere in Kapalua so if you don't want to walk down to the Beach (it can be a hike), simply call for a shuttle. The golf is the best on the Island.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our two-bedroom villa was very nice, although not as luxurious as a 5 star hotel. It was set back a little on a low bluff overlooking the ocean, so that reaching an actual beach required a walk of about 2 minutes. The view from the dining area, kitchen, and master bedroom was lovely.

The villas seemed to be about 15 years old, although generally well maintained. Furniture was in good condition, although not high end. Bedrooms and bathrooms were nice, and the kitchen was fine but small. The only significant complaint that I have about the villa is that the wall air conditioning unit in the master bedroom was very noisy, so running it at night wasn't possible. This wasn't a big deal for us since we were there after Christmas, but it would be a problem in the summer. The rest of the villa was on a central air conditioning unit that was fine.

Housekeeping service every three days was fine (more frequently for an extra charge), although the tile floors throughout the villa could have used more thorough cleaning. The bottoms of one's feet or socks would become brown after walking around for a while. I suspect that the maids only swept the floors and skipped mopping them in order to save time. When I asked that the floors be mopped, there was some improvement. I wouldn't say that this was a real problem unless you like things really clean. The rest of the unit was kept very clean.

The Kapalua Spa was quite nice. Staying in the Villas gives you free access to the spa's facilities including small pool, saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools, and sunning area.

There are a few things you should keep in mind if you are considering these villas. First, Kapalua is a little secluded, at the north end of the west side of Maui. If you are looking for seclusion, that's great, but if you want more action I would recommend going further south to Kaanapali, Lahaina, or Wailea. Second, it defintely is windier around Kapalua -- if you need less wind, go further south to Kaanapali or beyond. Third, the beaches around Kapalua are small, but fine. And last, the two pools at the Kapalua Bay Villas are relatively small and rectangular. They're not terribly crowded, and fine if you don't need a big pool complex, but I wouldn't recommend them for a family with active small children or teens.

My family enjoyed our stay here, and we would return, although not during the Christmas holidays when the rates were very high.

Room Tip: Ocean front units are located in the Bay Villas. They have lovely views and are indeed close to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I actually have only nice things to say about this place, except for the pools. So let's start with all the pros before I start complaining. :) We came here for a wedding and I thought I'd prefer to stay somewhere else because the pix they had online didn't really excite me. I like modern, updated, luxury and convenience. It sounded like some of their rooms/villas are updated and some are not. Then I looked at other alternatives to stay, and this was by far the cheapest with a kitchen/living room included so we decided to go for it. Then we decided to pay a little more for the upgrade to the Gold 1bedroom ocean view villa, and boy was it worth it!!! Everyone that came along for the wedding (and stayed in golf villas) was wishing they had our ocean view villa instead. We had the bottom floor so it had it's own large expansive patio with table/chairs and chaise lounge chairs, with a great lawn section (fantastic for our kids!) which overlooked the pool, which overlooked the ocean. The villa has wall-to-wall windows overlooking everything, which is just gorgeous! The living room/dining room is spacious and upgraded. The kitchen is fully stocked and roomy (also upgraded). We stopped at the Safeway grocery store in Lahaina on the drive up, and stocked up on a weeks worth of groceries so we could have breakfast and some lunches/snacks. Then we went out to the fabulous places for dinner all around us. There are great walking trails right there on the property that either take you to the lava cliffs, or to the beaches. The spa is walking distance, and oh my gosh what a great spa! I am a spa lover so I know a good spa when I'm in one. I had an outdoor massage, which is in a private little hut thing with 3 walls, so you basically only have one wall open to the gardens. Beautiful view and breeze and sounds of real nature while getting your massage. I did 80 min deep tissue and she was absolutely fantastic. Just the perfect amt of pressure to work on my knots, and no chit-chatting. Just total relaxation and enjoyment.

Ok, now for my one complaint...the pools. The good news is, there are a lot of them. We had one pool right in front of our villa and another behind us. The bad news, they are the most boring apartment-style pools you've ever seen. Just a rectangle. Nice temp, ok lawn furniture, and they have a BBQ area there where you can make lunch. If all you want to do is lay out and take a quick dip, it's just like being at an apt. What's worse, NO HOT TUBS. I mean, really? Hawaii does get cold, especially if you are in the pool for a little while. It would be nice to warm up instead of having to go inside. The work-around (if you're an adult), there is free spa access for every day of your stay, and the pool & hot tub at the spa is very nice. Luckily I was able to enjoy 2 days of that and leave the kids with my husband. But one day we had to go over to Kaanapali Villa's so they kids could have some good pool time. They have a little kids section with pirate ship you can climb on which is located in a shallow pool (18" deep maybe?), as well as a playground on fake grass. Plus water slides and a kind-of lazy river thing. Definitely I recommend you go there if you are all about the pools. But if you want beautiful views, whale watching (in March anyway), gorgeous spacious modern villas and rest/relaxation, I would come to Kapalua Villas again and again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an ocean view room. Worth while in Whale watching season!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Kapalua Villas, Maui exceeded our expectations. The villas were spacious, well maintained, well located and great views. Our time was relaxing and exactly what we wanted. The price was extremely reasonably for the quality villas that we rented. I can't wait until we return to Maui.

Room Tip: Bay Villas Gold Ocean View
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Kapalua Villas? Share your experiences!