“Gold, ocean-front Bay Villa” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Kapalua
Walnut Creek, California
“Gold, ocean-front Bay Villa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our two-bedroom villa was very nice, although not as luxurious as a 5 star hotel. It was set back a little on a low bluff overlooking the ocean, so that reaching an actual beach required a walk of about 2 minutes. The view from the dining area, kitchen, and master bedroom was lovely.

The villas seemed to be about 15 years old, although generally well maintained. Furniture was in good condition, although not high end. Bedrooms and bathrooms were nice, and the kitchen was fine but small. The only significant complaint that I have about the villa is that the wall air conditioning unit in the master bedroom was very noisy, so running it at night wasn't possible. This wasn't a big deal for us since we were there after Christmas, but it would be a problem in the summer. The rest of the villa was on a central air conditioning unit that was fine.

Housekeeping service every three days was fine (more frequently for an extra charge), although the tile floors throughout the villa could have used more thorough cleaning. The bottoms of one's feet or socks would become brown after walking around for a while. I suspect that the maids only swept the floors and skipped mopping them in order to save time. When I asked that the floors be mopped, there was some improvement. I wouldn't say that this was a real problem unless you like things really clean. The rest of the unit was kept very clean.

The Kapalua Spa was quite nice. Staying in the Villas gives you free access to the spa's facilities including small pool, saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools, and sunning area.

There are a few things you should keep in mind if you are considering these villas. First, Kapalua is a little secluded, at the north end of the west side of Maui. If you are looking for seclusion, that's great, but if you want more action I would recommend going further south to Kaanapali, Lahaina, or Wailea. Second, it defintely is windier around Kapalua -- if you need less wind, go further south to Kaanapali or beyond. Third, the beaches around Kapalua are small, but fine. And last, the two pools at the Kapalua Bay Villas are relatively small and rectangular. They're not terribly crowded, and fine if you don't need a big pool complex, but I wouldn't recommend them for a family with active small children or teens.

My family enjoyed our stay here, and we would return, although not during the Christmas holidays when the rates were very high.

Room Tip: Ocean front units are located in the Bay Villas. They have lovely views and are indeed close to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

554 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I actually have only nice things to say about this place, except for the pools. So let's start with all the pros before I start complaining. :) We came here for a wedding and I thought I'd prefer to stay somewhere else because the pix they had online didn't really excite me. I like modern, updated, luxury and convenience. It sounded like some of their rooms/villas are updated and some are not. Then I looked at other alternatives to stay, and this was by far the cheapest with a kitchen/living room included so we decided to go for it. Then we decided to pay a little more for the upgrade to the Gold 1bedroom ocean view villa, and boy was it worth it!!! Everyone that came along for the wedding (and stayed in golf villas) was wishing they had our ocean view villa instead. We had the bottom floor so it had it's own large expansive patio with table/chairs and chaise lounge chairs, with a great lawn section (fantastic for our kids!) which overlooked the pool, which overlooked the ocean. The villa has wall-to-wall windows overlooking everything, which is just gorgeous! The living room/dining room is spacious and upgraded. The kitchen is fully stocked and roomy (also upgraded). We stopped at the Safeway grocery store in Lahaina on the drive up, and stocked up on a weeks worth of groceries so we could have breakfast and some lunches/snacks. Then we went out to the fabulous places for dinner all around us. There are great walking trails right there on the property that either take you to the lava cliffs, or to the beaches. The spa is walking distance, and oh my gosh what a great spa! I am a spa lover so I know a good spa when I'm in one. I had an outdoor massage, which is in a private little hut thing with 3 walls, so you basically only have one wall open to the gardens. Beautiful view and breeze and sounds of real nature while getting your massage. I did 80 min deep tissue and she was absolutely fantastic. Just the perfect amt of pressure to work on my knots, and no chit-chatting. Just total relaxation and enjoyment.

Ok, now for my one complaint...the pools. The good news is, there are a lot of them. We had one pool right in front of our villa and another behind us. The bad news, they are the most boring apartment-style pools you've ever seen. Just a rectangle. Nice temp, ok lawn furniture, and they have a BBQ area there where you can make lunch. If all you want to do is lay out and take a quick dip, it's just like being at an apt. What's worse, NO HOT TUBS. I mean, really? Hawaii does get cold, especially if you are in the pool for a little while. It would be nice to warm up instead of having to go inside. The work-around (if you're an adult), there is free spa access for every day of your stay, and the pool & hot tub at the spa is very nice. Luckily I was able to enjoy 2 days of that and leave the kids with my husband. But one day we had to go over to Kaanapali Villa's so they kids could have some good pool time. They have a little kids section with pirate ship you can climb on which is located in a shallow pool (18" deep maybe?), as well as a playground on fake grass. Plus water slides and a kind-of lazy river thing. Definitely I recommend you go there if you are all about the pools. But if you want beautiful views, whale watching (in March anyway), gorgeous spacious modern villas and rest/relaxation, I would come to Kapalua Villas again and again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an ocean view room. Worth while in Whale watching season!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Kapalua Villas, Maui exceeded our expectations. The villas were spacious, well maintained, well located and great views. Our time was relaxing and exactly what we wanted. The price was extremely reasonably for the quality villas that we rented. I can't wait until we return to Maui.

Room Tip: Bay Villas Gold Ocean View
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here last year and were extremely happy with the villa we had in the Bay Villas, and thus very happy to return expecting something similar. To our dismay we arrived to find that we had been put into the Ridge Villas at the furthest point from all the amenities we had anticipated, such as morning swims in the ocean. The receptionist (Rochelle) was extremely helpful and attempted to find something more suitable for us, unfortunately there was nothing immediately available so we had to spend one night in Villa 1811. This Villa is very well appointed, apart from the noisy ancient air conditioning that should be condemned. It looks out over a golf green with a side view to the ocean, so it cannot really be described as the "Ocean View" room we had booked. For those in love with golf this would be an ideal villa as you can watch people mess up their shots on the approach to the green. Unfortunately the evening music serenade from the Ritz-Carlton and the morning wake up call from the green mowing was not for us, as we prefer the sounds of the ocean. Rochelle had arranged for us to be moved to unit 14G2 in the Bay Villas and as well as arranging for our luggage and other items to be removed also rang us when our new Villa was ready. Unit 14G2 is as well appointed as the unit we had last year 15G2 and exceeded all of our expectations, so much so that we will consider returning for longer next year. I just need to make sure I am very, very specific on where I wish to stay. If we had of been stuck in unit 1811, I don't think we would consider returning to Kapalua Villas as unit 1811 didn't meet any of our needs. Outrigger Hotels should thank Rochelle for her efforts in keeping a customer happy. Maybe they should also ask more questions on their website when booking rooms at this resort, so such a mix up never happens again. Unlike last year we also used the Kapalua spa, this spa is one of the better ones we have experienced and I can highly recommend that any guests at the Kapalua villas utilise this facility which is provided as part of the daily resort fee.

Room Tip: Make sure you request bay villas if you wish to be near the ocean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
British columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We rented a one bedroom villa through Expedia for a family of four. We had asked for twin beds and were very surprised to find that "they don't have them". We made due with the king bed, a very poor quality hide a bed and a futon. Other than that disappointment, the villa was well appointed, beautiful kitchen and lanai and the grounds were very lovely - it was an easy walk to the beach and once we got the hang of the roads, an easy place to get in and out of. It is bit of a drive from Lahaina and about and hour from Kihei and so you will want to be sure this suits you. Certainly a plus if you want to avoid the crowds and feel a sense of peace. There are some wonderful beaches in the area - DT Fleming and Napili Bay among them.

Room Tip: Check the bed situation thoroughly before booking if this is important to you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

By all accounts, this place exceeded my expectations during my second visit to Maui. This place was absolutely gorgeous, as well as quiet, private, away from the crowds in Lahaina, and I felt very much at home. I enjoyed the hiking/walking/running trails on the premises, and if you are a runner, be cautious of dangerous blind spots you will encounter if running away from the resort. I loved the decor in my condo - modern and updated furnishings - something I personally would have in my own home. I definitely would return and highly recommend this place - it was well worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

If you are interested in golfing, spa and not leaving the resort, this is a great place. Our 1 bedroom condo was very spacious, with great views, right next to the pool (26-T8). The kitchen was very modern, comfortable bed, living room and patio. The Honolua store, ample beaches, shuttles, golf courses, restaurants, etc... Make this a great place to kick back and relax. The condos are under renovation, which is great for future stays, but a little too noisy for our relaxing vacation. The weather in this part of Maui is known as being colder, windier and rainier than South Maui in winter. Loved the lack of crowds compared to Kaanapali and close by amenities. Booked it because of amenities associated with nearby Ritz Carlton, however, upon check in,found that those amenities had been discontinued with new management. Would stay here again, depending on the type of vacation I was looking to have.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kapalua Villas? Share your experiences!