“A nice family friendly condo, but it needs a better pool” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Mercer Island, Washington
“A nice family friendly condo, but it needs a better pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here in a two bedroom, ocean view gold condo, which was very nice. The view was great and the furnishings were adequate. This was a loft unit, where the second floor was a master suite with nice en suite bathroom and covered lanai with a panoramic view of Molokai.

We brought our 2 year old daughter who slept / took naps in the downstairs bedroom which was very comfortable -- the upstairs bedroom got a little stuffy due to weak air conditioning and was hard to keep dark when the sun was coming up. Overall the accommodations were a great value.

We did find that the pool etc. was lacking. You used to be able to hang out at the Ritz Carlton which is nice enough. We tried that one day, but we couldn't get towels without a room and we felt like we were trespassing. We spent a lot of time at the nearby beach which was beautiful and great fun for me but a little rough for my little girl. Next time we'll probably stay at the Westin, where the rooms aren't as nice, but where they have a great pool scene for little kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

There are several restaurants nearby, as well as beaches and other activities. Just call the shuttle and they will take you where you need to go. Check-in took only five minutes. There are beaches to snorkel or dive. I never heard a peep in this neighborhood.
The condo was two levels and the bedroom patio overlooked the ocean. It was decorated very generously and with good quality, clean furniture.
The fresh pineapple was a great touch.
(Full kitchen, microwave, coffee maker, his/her upstairs bath, full downstairs bath, TV, washer and dryer, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I waited to write this review after we stayed here the second time. We have been to Hawaii more than 10 times and at least 6 times to Maui. This is by far the best place to stay. The condos are large and have modern amenities. They are on the luxurious side if you select the gold package with partial ocean view. They are walking distance to Napili bay, Kapalua Bay and the Ritz Carlton beach. Their is also a great board walk along the beaches and of course a magnificent golf course. The property has beautiful landscaping and you are totally away from any street noise. The management is very helpful and shows plenty of the Hawaiien hospitality. It is well worth for the money. You also get free access to a fabulous spa and gym.

Room Tip: Ask for the gold rooms they have been upgraded
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My brother was getting married in Maui. We stayed in 20G4 at the Kapalua Bay Villas and would definitely stay there again. The condo was awesome. Upon arrival our room was not ready. A little disappointing as we had been traveling all day. We were told it would be ready at 4 when checkin was at 3. The reason being was the previous tenants had not vacated the property. When we got to our room we were extremely satisfied. The view was absolutely breath taking. The bathroom could have been a little more accommodating. The water pressure in the shower was very weak, there were no hooks for our wet swimsuits or our towels, the shampoo and lotion had been used (not by us), the toilet leaked. Other then that our stay was great. When we checked out, we asked for a later check out as our flight did not leave till 9:35 that night. They told us that 11 would be the latest as there was someone else checking into our room. I argued that time as we had to wait till 4 to check in. We were extended till noon. I feel that the hotels should allow for later check out as we still pay $25 a day to use the property. So in actuality they get $50 for that day from the previous and incoming customer.

VITORIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The villa we got was awesome. It was huge, with a complete kitchen, perfectly equiped. The living room was very big. The bed was confortable and clean. The views were very nice, our lanai faced the golf course, and then the ocean. We had a swimming pool right next to our villa. The beach (Kapalua Beach) is not very big, but nice anyway.
The only problem we had was that the third day of our stay, we found one roach in the bathroom. We called housekeeping and they inmediatly sent one person to spray the whole villa. We had no more "surprises" during our stay.
Despite that incident, I must say that the villa is super clean, as well as the rest of the resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our family of five stayed in the Ridge Villas for two weeks. The good news is that the 3-bedroom unit was very spacious, has a fabulous 180-degree ocean view, and was equipped with everything we needed (except a tea pot for adults and sandtoys for the tot).

I agree with other posters that there is deferred maintaince. Our first day I called and asked for a screen door for the master bedroom slider and it was delivered that afternoon. I also called housekeeping and asked them to remove the paint cans from the shelves in the laundry area and they did immediately.

I liked the furnishings throughout the unit and was impressed with the quality of the bed and bath linens. Housekeeping came every three days and did a good job. The wi-fi didn't work well and my engineer husband finallly hooked it up so we got cable access that was much better.

My main crticism about Kapalua Villas was about the two pools in the Ridge Villas area. (I didn't see any others.) The pools were clean, but the deck looked like it hadn't been resurfaced since the '80s. There just was nothing appealing about the pool area. No ocean view, no great furniture, and tired landscaping. Worst of all - no jacuzzi and no kiddie pool.

We spent most of our days at Kapalua Bay, which is gorgeous and perfect for little kids who need minimal wave action and adults who like to snorkel. Because we rented through Outrigger, we could get free lounge chairs and beach towels from the Activity Center at this beach and that was a huge convenience.

Room Tip: The Gold Ocean View units are the best. I recommend booking through Outrigger (see review).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was very apprehensive about my stay at the Kapalua Villas. I think a lot of it came from the reviews I had read on this site. But all my concerns were laid to rest upon my arrival. I've traveled to Maui several times but this was the first time I'd arrived so late in the evening... 8:36. After securing our luggage and car, we arrived at about 9:45. The receptionist was very personable and provided driving directions to our unit. Getting to the unit at night was simple and not a problem at all. We stayed in the Bay Villas and our unit was 19G5. It was awesome. The living quarters, kitchen, and half bath were downstairs. All the lights were on and all the windows were open when we came in. Our villa had a lot of large windows on the ground floor and upstairs bedroom area. The upstairs master suite and lower living areas were great with breathtaking views of the ocean. The villa was clean and well appointed. Towels, kitchen utensils, everything; even free WiFi! Parking was right outside in the street across from the unit. Cable television was provided with acces to several channels. And did I mention the views? I also had a concern about the quality of sleep I'd experience. The mattress was great! There were extra pillows and covers provided in the closet. There's an iron and ironing board too. The only other amenity that wasn't provided was a washer and dryer.

If you are familiar with the island, you know that Kapalua is a little cooler than the other areas like Lahaina, Kehei, Wailea, and Kahului. It's also quite a bit windy but this is great as you really don't need to use the AC; just enjoy the trade winds. Staying at the villas puts you in close proximity to all types of stores. This is a good thing when you want to stock the fridge. The maid service for our unit was provided once every three days. This was adequate timing and they did an excellent job.

As for the price? I can tell you from experience, you'll save thousands when compared to luxury suites on the island. We normally get a full luxury suite when we come to Maui. We literally saved over 65% on this trip. You get far more room and amenities like a full kitchen, much larger living areas and two baths (one a downstairs half bath). The master suite and full bath are upstairs. If you are a golfer, one of the best courses in the world is next door.... Kapalua Bay Course. But book your tee time for early morning as the trade winds come in at about 9:00. Will I stay here again? You betcha. Kapalua Villas gets a full 5 stars from the Jacksons! I gave the spa three stars because I didn't go there so I figured this would be a fair rating.

Room Tip: Ground floor villas are really downstair villas. Street level villas are easier to access.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!