“Amazing honeymoon at the best resort on the island.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
La Grange, Illinois
“Amazing honeymoon at the best resort on the island.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My wife and I just got through with a 7 night stay in Maui and absolutely loved this resort. Prior to our trip, we were going back and forth between the Ritz, Four Seasons, and the Fairmont. We decided to settle on the Ritz since they were offering us "Club Level" access to their lounge for free drinks, snacks, etc throughout our trip. A few weeks before we left, the Ritz notified us that they were eliminating the club level since the resort goes through a slow period during the months of October and November. This almost caused us to change hotels but the Ritz came through by upgrading us to a 900 SF room with a kitchen (refrigerator, garbage disposal, microwave, sink, dishwasher), family room (Plasma tvs with DVD players), two balconies, full bedroom and bathroom (shower, tub, and seperate toilet). They also reduced our hotel rate by $1,500 and gave us a $500 resort credit.

The hotel is located in Kapalua which is roughly 20 minutes away from Lahaina (main downtown area), 15 minutes from Ka'anapali (shopping, restaurants, hotels), and an hour from the Wailea and airport area. The location is somewhat a plus and a minus. You are nice and close to Lahaina and Ka'anapali which is where we spent a majority of our time. However, it is really far from Wailea (we never even made it there) and ways from the start of the road to Hana, Haleakala National Park, and airport. We had a car and managed to get place to place with no problem.

What the hotel lacks in location, they pick up in being a beautiful secluded resort. The resort is absolutely huge! You enter by driving in through a private drive to the hotel and pass by their exclusive golf academy/training center, and one of their golf courses. The hotel is extremely clean and very modern. The hotel staff is great and the pool and restaurants are amazing.

After reading the reviews, it appears most people complain about two things: the cost of Maui and the location of the beach at the Ritz. To be honest, my wife and I did not find Maui to be all that unreasonable. If you are from a major city (NYC, Chicago, LA) you will find the resort and dinner prices to be similar to a nice evening in the city. We stopped at a store and packed our room with some snacks, beer, and wine and that saved us a few bucks. You can also use the "Corner Store" which is located on the grounds to pick up some items. The store has a full grocery area, coffee bar and snack shop. The prices were the most reasonable of anything we encountered.

As for the beach, it is set away from the pool and a short walk down a hill. However, once you arrive it is essentially private and remote from everything. It's not crowded and is almost like your own private beach.

Overall, we loved the Ritz and would stay again. On a return visit we might visit Wailea since we never visited that area of the island and it is home to some nice resorts.

As for Maui, the food is unbelievable on the entire island. We are from Chicago and were blown away by how good everything was. We loved the burgers, fish, and fresh vegetables. Must stops are as follows:

- Mama's Fish House
- Lahaina Grill

... and some other good places we hit included:

- Basil Tomato
- Hula Grill

As for activities, the road to Hana is not as great as we envisioned. It's essentially a long drive on winding roads with some stops along the way. I highly suggest renting a Jeep Wrangler. Not the type of trip you want to do in a Mustang or rag top.

We enjoyed the ride down the Volcano, surf lessons in Ka'anapali (I suggest a private lesson), and the Old Lahaina Luau. I didn't get to play any golf due to two stress fractures in my foot.

P.S. If you choose to do the sunrise Volcano bike road I highly suggest bringing ample clothes to watch the sun come up. It was like a Chicago winter on top of the mountain. It was 40 degrees with a 40 MPH wind. It was freezing!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Korean first
Pflugerville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I am pretty picky about hotels. The was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. We went there on our Honeymoon last May 2009. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were waited on hand and foot. The pools were awesome and the beach was spectacular. Every morning we had the beach to ourselves. I would loved to stay there again. I hope I can splurge like that again someday.

My only real complaint was the prices of drinks and food there at the hotel. Just two drinks were $35. I would suggest if you are on a budget going down to the Honolua Bay general store and stocking up on snacks and groceries. Breakfast for the two of us there in the hotel was about $65 a morning. Granted to can have just about anything your hearts desire for breakfast, but the general store made a mighty fine breakfast for us regular humans and it was under $10 ea. I highly recommend the pineapple hamburger. Dinner at their restaurant is a min $200 per person. We did that the last night we were there. I was a nice experience.

The other thing could be a plus or minus for people. It is set on the outskirts. It's about 10-15min to the restaurant area of town. There is no, "I am going to grab something and come back" kind of thing.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

We visited the Ritz in Kapalua for our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. In typical Ritz style, the service was nothing but exceptional. Our room was spectacular, a huge suite with a great view of the ocean. Kapalua is beautiful - I've spent quite a bit of time on Maui and I love the seclusion of the area. You really feel like you are getting away from it all here. Plus, the views are incredible. The times we've been there, we've lucked out with weather, but I know at times it can be rainy. The pool area is great - since it is tiered, it feels more private, like you get more space to yourself. The atmosphere is calm and relaxing. The beach is a short walk down from the hotel (there is a shuttle, but who doesn't enjoy a little stroll in Maui?), and it is a great beach. Compared to hotels in Kaanapali, the beach is fantastic. It is a big white sand beach, and the water is gorgeous. It feels much more private compared to the hustle and bustle of Kaanapali, so it depends on what you're looking for. Overall, we love the Ritz in Maui and we will return again and again (as a matter of fact, we already have another trip planned. Aloha!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

It was our first trip to Maui so we really had no idea where we wanted to stay. Luckily we came across a really good package deal (airfare + hotel + rental car) that placed us in the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua.

The hotel was simply breathtaking. From the Aloha welcome (with Kukui nut necklaces!) to the efficient service we received from everyone throughout the hotel, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit Maui and wants a place that's not too crowded.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights during the 1st part of our honeymoon. We could not have picked a better place. The hotel was elegant, had a great pool, fantastic golf courses, nice restaurants and phenomenal beach. While it is a little bit away from other hotels / towns, we loved that aspect of it. There are 4 or 5 nice restaurants nearby, and the hotel has a free shuttle service to them. The beach is essentially private, but about a 10 min walk - fine by us, but perhaps not for everyone. The best thing we did was book a Club-level room - we paid a little more per night, but with the free (and tasty) food and drinks all day long, we simply had breakfast and lunch in there, and later a glass of wine or 2 before heading out to dinner somewhere else. We were there for a while and never got tired of the hotel.

My wife and I travel a lot and were very pleased with our choice. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

This will be our 5th visit to this wonderful property, it is our favorite hotel in all the islands.
Location- Kapalua is unmatched, and the beach is spectacular
Hotel- Beautiful, on par with other RC properties
Service- Very Good, maybe a tad 'relaxed'' but you are in Hawaii
Pool area- Very nice
Rooms- Spectaular after the renovation. I love the new floors
Shuttle- Great for visiting local restaurants
Dining- Excellent but pricey

Possible drawbacks
- Steep walk down to the beach
-as another reviewer said, I too noticed a crowd with their own 12 pack (of like Old Milwaukee?) at the pool. Personally, I think that crosses the line. That needs to be kept at their room. However that was the exception, and it happened once the last trip.
-The main restaraunt no longer is open air. This was the only let down from the renovation
-I miss the complimentary lobby coffee. Now you must make your own in your room, or wait at the bar for coffee to be made

Tips-
Plantation House for breakfast
Sansei early bird and late night specials
Take advantage of resort activities if you have children
Price your vacation on the Ritz Carlton website- you now can get a great airfare to go with your hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Warren
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Well in planning our honeymoon my husband and I knew we wanted to go to Maui, so we began to look around, read reviews, and get input from our travel agent. We had never been to Hawaii before so it's a little hard to plan and know where to go when you have never been there before. I actually began to read reviews on this website regarding many hotels on the Island but we had decided on Either the Ritz Carlton or the Sheraton (which we heard were both very nice. After reading reviews on this website I was quite flustered and confused because some people said good things about the Ritz and some said bad things. BUT in my experience...
I have never stayed at a place so beautiful, or had better service, or had been treated so wonderfully as I was at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua!

The location of the Resort was perfect because it would be in the upper 80's and because of the ocean and mountain breeze you wouldn't even know it. There would be clouds from time to time but it would be a refreshing break from the sun for a minute.

I would highly recommend this Resort to anyone!!

I hope all enjoy like My husband and I did!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!