“Deserves it's 5 stars” 5 of 5 stars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Deserves it's 5 stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

August 28th 2004
I just had to respond after reading the previous ridiculous "roaches galore" review. I think the only roaches there would be the one this person was smoking. I don't know what Ritz this person went to but it wasn't the one I stayed at. First of all the customer service was top notch, the rooms were very nicely appointed (e.g. feather beds) and cleaned twice daily, and the grounds were absolutely beautiful. We were greeted on arrival at the front desk with aromatherapy face clothes to refresh ourselves and the hostess placed leis on us and showed us to our room. My husband loved the morning jogging station set up with bottled ice water, towels and maps. The pool boys greeted us daily to set up our lounge chairs with covers and towels and brought us ice water. The dinner we had (tasting menu) at the Banyan Tree was fabulous, and the chef even took the time to come out to speak with us foodies. We travel a lot! There is no way anyone could justifiably put this place down. It deserves it's five stars.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2004

Horrible experience at this Ritz Carlton. We checked in, althought the grounds were very pretty, the hotel itself left MUCH to be desired.

We stayed here on our honeymoon & our travel agent recommended it. Our biggest problem was that the hotel was infested with roaches. We checked in and thought everything was fine. The food was a bit pricey, especially for the quality. I have stayed at many Ritz Carltons, but this has been the lowest in quality (not only from a Ritz Carlton standard, but from a hotel standard in general). The food was ok....nothing to rave about, at all.

Getting back to the main subject....we enjoyed the day travelling around, but when we came back to the "Ritz", we relaxed in the lobby- had a drink, then went back to our room. We turned on the lights in the room & we saw roaches scurrying to avoid the light. Then we tried to step on the ones on the floor, but there were at least 15 in sight (on the walls and ceiling). When we turned on the bathroom light, the same thing occured. I was livid and I complained to management, who told me that this has been a problem and they are trying to deal with it. They did not have another room, so my husband and had to sleep with the light on and take turns staying awake.

Needless to say, we left there in a hurry in the morning. I would not recommend staying here - what a poor choice for our honeymoon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2004

I find it incredible to have to write the following, but here is an account of what happened to us during our trip there. After spending 6 days at the Kea Lani, I thought what better way to cap off the vacation than 4 days at the Ritz?..( we had never stayed on that side of the island..so we book dinner at the Plantation, tee times and up the coast we go....

We arrived at the hotel and were met by the bellman, unloaded the car and proceeded to check in. When we arrived at the front desk we were met by a fairly unhappy young clerk, no smile, aloha, not even a hello...I gave her our name (we had reserved 2 ocean front suites) and waited while she typed into the computer for around 5 minutes and finally annouced that "Your rooms will not be ready until 7pm, just leave your bags with the bellman and stop by later tonite to get into your room" It was around 1pm at the time. I told her that this was not the type of service I had anticpated but Ok..would it be possible to have the same courtesy afforded to us when we checked out? Absolutley NOT! Late check out is not available that day as we are fully booked???? So we should amuse ourselves for 6 hours while we wait for the room...

Meanwhile at least 4 other guests were occupying the desk as well complaining about the view, rooms, hotel service charges etc...

I then asked to speak with the manager....20 minutes later.... she returns and states "great news! we found you a room...Is it deluxe ocean front? I ask, You'll like the room she says, I ask the question 3 more times, recieved the same responce. Not good at all...

I capitulate as any room is fine at the moment because spending any more time at the desk would obviously not be productive...

We arrive at the room...overlooking the golf course, not the ocean (never heard the clerk say anything about a room charge adjustment)... and low and behold..the room is surprise ...filthy...chocloate milk stains on the carpet, shoe polish stains all over the floor, looked like a crime scene out of CSI..The bellman to his credit was astonished as we were...but by that time I was beyond unhappy, picked up the phone, called the front desk and checked out..

Well, NOW the manager is finally interested...after explaining my disapointment with the check in process, room availability and then the room we recieved, he starts to negotiate! What can I do to make it up to you?... I explain to him that I am beyond negotiation and I would expect him to be proactive in offering a concession...for goodness sakes this is a Ritz Carlton...do the right thing, offer a spa treatment, dinner, find our two ocean front rooms, book a tee time...nothing but the question "what can I do to make it right?" I finally told him to call the Kea Lani and get me back in there (he never did call back with a status on that request).

For a marquee property in a marquee location the whole situation was exceptionally disapointing, unprofessionally handled and candidly not reflective of the other Ritz Carltons we have stayed at globally....thankfully the Kea Lani was able to accomidate us...

I would avoid this property and either go to the Four Seasons or the Kea Lani, competitive properties, who get it when it comes to a low stress check in, friendly, happy to see you, thanks for coming, sorry to see we disapointed you..here is what we are doing to make it right attitude that complements the level of service expectation.

• Stayed June 2004
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is perhaps one of the most gorgeous resorts I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. One would expect outstanding service, amenities, food, and accomodations at a 5-star resort; and this resort not only met, but exceeded all of my expectations.

The last time I checked, which was today, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua was still rated 5 stars. I wonder if the complainers in some of these reviews know exactly what discriminating travelers like myself enjoy? Obviously those who rate the hotel know what they are talking about.

In my opinion, this is the best Ritz-Carlton in the world! It is located in the best place (Maui), near the most private beach (Kapalua), and employs a friendly staff which goes beyond their call of duty. This hotel is a complete universe, a place where I was able to happily sit by the ocean with a book all day one day, relax on my lanai enjoying the view another day, and rejuvinate by the pool eating fresh pineapple another day.

The Ritz is located on a knoll, in a spectacular setting between the rainforest and the sea. The 5-minute stroll from the pool down the path to the beach with the refreshing breeze blissfully blowing on your back is truly an invigorating awakening of the senses. Somewhere during that walk, even the most stressed-out traveler should come upon the realization that this is paradise! This is the way life should be!

When it rains, and it will (remember you are next to a rainforest), that is the perfect excuse to enjoy a relaxing afteroon nap in your room or suite. The sun will come out again soon. I found my suite to be up to par with the usual Ritz standard, complete with marble baths, separate showers, private lanais, and a decadently comfortable bed. There were 3 televisions in my suite, but I never once turned them on. I preferred enjoying the ocean vistas!

Finally, I must say that hospitality is the keynote at this elegant, yet non-imposing plantation-style resort. I found exemplary service topped off with good old-fashioned Hawaiian aloha!

If this doesn't sound like your type of resort, please stay elsewhere. That will leave even more privacy for those of us who know how to enjoy the finer things in life. In my opinion, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is a Maui Wowie!

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

We spent seven nights at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, and were absolutely blown away with every single aspect of our stay. The staff is incredibly friendly, totally accommodating, and willing to do almost anything you request (within reason). The hotel is beautiful, massive (yet the common areas are scaled in such a way so you don't feel lost in space). The beach access is just a short walk, and nowhere near the trek some make it out to be. Besides, the beach is well worth it: quite, clean, and with plenty of open space. The food is excellent, presentation in the restaurants is first class, and the views are picture-perfect. The rooms (we had a suite and a standard room) were both clean, and well furnished (the beds are great). If you golf, the three courses that surround the hotel are breathtaking... The concierge was able to get me on the courses last minute with no trouble. Ignore all the complaints about the wind. Most of Maui is windy, and the parts that are not, are muggy at best.

All in all, if you want a fantastic resort, with a great location, excellent service, and privacy you have to check out the Ritz. It is an expensive hotel, so if you are not willing to ignore the prices for the food and services, then I suggest you stay somewhere else. Aloha!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

We spent the first 5 days of our honeymoon at the Ritz, and I would certainly go back. Some of these reviews are ridiculous, people need to get off their high horses. To complain that the beach is a 10 min walk from the hotel??? Ridiculous. That the food trays were in the hallway too long? That the gym was a joke? That the pool is too small? That the plants smell? Come on. The staff bent over backwards for us, the breakfast was amazing, the pool area was beautiful, the beach was nice. Yes - the food was pricey, just like the rest of Maui. The room was clean, the towels and robes were plush, the verhanda was spacious and we had a great view. The staff was courtious and professional.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2004

I stayed at the Ritz Kapalua in September 2003, which was my second visit to the Ritz, and kabillionth time to Maui. After reading some of the recent reviews here, I had to post my own. I've relied on TripAdvisor reviews for the past year in making my travel choices, and haven't been steered wrong yet. I'm a very discriminating traveler - I look for 5 star resorts, and I expect high quality service and excellent food. The Ritz seemed an easy choice because you can count on consistent good service and beautiful surroundings. We love Kapalua because of the peace and quiet, great golf, and less-touristy feel than Wailea. Yes, it tends to be suffer from wind and rain more than Wailea, but every time we've gone in September/October, it's been lovely. This visit, the service at the Ritz was so fantastic. I had decided to take my mom on her first tropical vacation ever, and booked an ocean view room. Before leaving, I sent an email to the concierge, asking if they would try to secure us a really nice view, because (a) this was mom's first ever trip to an island, and (b) she had recently been diagnosed with a terrible illness... and I wanted to make the trip very special for her. When we checked in, we were shown to our room, which turned out had been upgraded to a full ocean view SUITE thanks to the lovely lady at the concierge desk! Plus, a gorgeous flower arrangement and a welcome basket of Hawaiian goodies. Talk about being impressed! We were overwhelmed. That kind of over-the-top service is amazing. The rest of our stay was also fabulous: service and food, both excellent. Yes, the food is expensive, but no more so than at the Kea Lani or Four Seasons. You just expect it, at a 5 star.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!