“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We just got back staying at the Ritz for spring break with our two teens. Two thumbs up even from the teens. The hotel is luxurious but not pretentious. We had a spacious room facing the golf course with ocean views. The beds were super comfortable, and sleeping the the sounds of the ocean was heavenly. The rooms were quiet we never heard any neighbors. The pool area was fantastic for energetic teens, three pools, one of them for adults and two hot tubs never felt too crowded even in the middle of this busy spring break season. The grounds are kept spotless, lots of green grass area for the kids to roam around. One sweet highlight was the Easter egg hunt put on for the kids. Tennis courts were a plus as well as two basketball hoops my kids enjoyed every day. The beach is a short stroll from the pool with a magnificent lunch restaurant overlooking the beach. There is a comfy towel service right at the beach so you don't have to log your pool towels around. Only negative is there is no boggie-boarding loaners for liability reasons. Since Flemming beach is great for that we had to drive to the nearby Naplili shopping center and rent out boards for the week. Highly recommend doing that at the beginning of your stay, we discovered that option late. The hotel sells the boards near the pool area but that seemed excessive and checking those onto the plane could turn Into a hassle.
We enjoyed the hotel restaurants, the sushi restaurant was great. The breakfast buffet is also good but very expensive for what it is, kids 12 under eat half price. Workout gym is terrific, well kept with good equipment. I did not try the classes was a little turned off paying extra for yoga classes. Spa is a must, had a terrific massage and the amenities are good. Dry sauna, spa tub, and steam room and my favorite: a quiet resting room. Usually an afterthought in most spas but I loved that there was a whole room designated to lounging! Super cosy, quiet and relaxing. The staff all around was friendly and helpful, I was impressed! From the maid to the bellman the staff deserves a big thumb up. Whoever we asked a question we got not only professional answers but a kind and welcoming attitude. Also very kid friendly! The concierge service team were terrific. We booked several tours as well as booked favorite restaurants and all of the recommendations were right for our family. We got a schedule for the week and follow up calls after the trips, wow! It made our stay very pleasant. There are walking trails all around and the picturesque Kapalua trail is not to be missed, starts right at the Ritz and guides you along a beautiful beach to Kapalua beach. We had a terrific week and will be back for sure.

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Korean first
Battle Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This is a fantastic hotel located in Kapalua. We recently vacationed in Maui and stayed in three different hotels (Hyatt, Marriott and Ritz). The Ritz was by far the best hotel in terms of quality, service, food, cleanliness and professionalism. It is more private and secluded than the other two as well. The service is top notch, you'll be treated like royalty. My only critique is that the nearest beaches are average but the pool more than makes up for it. If I did it the trip over again I'd just stay at the Ritz all week. Overall this is probably the best hotel experience I've ever had!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Sanfrancisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Loved it ! The grounds are beautiful, well kept.The beach area is awesome. The restaurants are wonderful . My grown up kids used the gym and said it was nice . Walking distance to Sansei restaurant . House keeping is excellent ; they change the towels 2/3 times a day . Have a separate pool for the adults which is wonderful ! I just loved it .....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here for my birthday in an ocean view room. I have stayed at many other R-C properties, and this one had all the service and charm I expect. The room (2 Queens) was very large, and I liked the huge bathroom with a separate toilet/WC. There was turn-down service every evening. WiFi was good. I liked the iPod/Phone docking station next to the beds.

I thought the location was great! I live in the city so I didn't need to feel like I was in the 'center of it all' (quite the opposite!). There are no adjoining hotels and nothing was crowded. It felt very exclusive. Yes, if you have plans to venture off-resort, plan to rent a car. It was about a 20-minute drive to Lahaina.

Travelers should also be aware that this isn't ocean front. It's a walk (downhill) to the beach. The staff will take you there and back in golf carts if you'd like. On your way to the sand you'll see a large open lawn. I was told that is sacred land and they couldn't build on it, which is why the hotel is set back from the water. The beach was windy, and at times the gusts really made me feel 'sandblasted,' but if I was in the water I didn't notice it at all. There is also a bar and a lounge area down by the water, which I really enjoyed.

It was just after Labor Day, so certain events during 'peak season' are closed (music performance at the beach, for example). However, this also meant less families and less-crowded facilities. The pool is huge--it's tiered and has more than enough chairs for everyone. It was very clean and relaxing. Service was outstanding-they will walk you to your chair, put on the chair cover, provide extra towels and serve drinks quickly.

Only ate on-site once, for brunch. The buffet is huge and the view is gorgeous. We also walked to the ABC store in the mornings to grab coffee before heading out for the day.

Also took a morning yoga class at the gym/spa. The instructor was very good an tailored the class to our (there were four of us) requests. A great way to wake up.

I would stay here again when visiting Maui and want to get away from it all. It's top-notch!

I read many of the reviews for this hotel before I arrived and found them very helpful. I hope mine provided some insight, too. :)

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view not facing construction.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Atherton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

This resort is an oasis. We had an ocean front room with tranquil, glorious ocean views. The furnishings and linens were lovely. There is a complimentary resort shuttle that can take you to neighboring beaches in 5 minutes that are more protected from the wind. The resort is both private and spacious which makes one feel as if you are on your own estate. This is old Hawaii with a high standard of service. All staff were spectacular- Mary Lou at the front desk and Daniel who was with room service were particularly outstanding.

• Stayed April 2014
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just married in March 2014 and went to the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua for our honeymoon. Wow, this hotel is perfect. They have top notch customer service. The grounds are beautifully kept. We had a fantastic room on the 8th floor with amazing view of the ocean, mountains and pool. We ate at only 2 of the hotel restaurants the Terrace and Kai, now my husband loves great food and gave both these places a thumbs up, the food was very delicious. Also need to eat at Honu and Mala on Front St, great food and ocean view... It is a little more rainy and windy this part of the island but we were ok with it. Regardless, we didn’t want to go back home… Absolutely beautiful…

Room Tip: I would choose a room between 7 - 9 th floor, a room near and on the same side as 2807
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were really spoilt by this hotel. The service, ambiance and our room were all truly outstanding. It was a 'secret hotel' so we paid way under rack rate. It is a bit out of the way on the wettest part of the island so it may not be for everybody. Lots of nice walking options with none of the mass tourism feel of Kapalani or even upscale Wailea. But therefore nearby shopping and eating options, while good, are limited. Only one and a half gripes: the swimming pool levels didn't suit me at all as I like around 1.6 metres; the concierge arranged for me to watch an ECL match in the bar before it was open without checking that anyone could summon the requisite channel. Thanks to a United supporting valet we got it but it was touch and go!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!