“Fantastic vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
“Fantastic vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife & I had a fantastic stay here. Wonderful location with great facilities and rooms. The restaurants are over-priced for the quality but perfectly fine if you're feeling lazy and don't want to leave the hotel. Plus, there are better restaurants very, very nearby so it's not a huge deal.

My biggest complaint was that they were replacing the wallpaper in our hallway the day we left but neglected to inform us so we had to basically trek through a construction zone on our way to check out. Again, not a huge deal but it would have been nice to be forewarned.

For finding restaurants or activities, talk to Anna at the concierge desk. Everyone there seems very knowledgeable but Anna was definitely a cut above everyone else.

Treat yourself to a massage and ask for Luke or Casey. Best massage ever!

Room Tip: I would try to be away from the pool. It's open 24 hours and typically fairly quiet but we did h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Hotel itself in in the secluded area of Kapalua, Maui. The staff, hotel room, and entire resort was gorgeous! The staff was super friendly, the beach was beautiful, and all the amenities were Awesome at the hotel.

I highly suggest staying at this hotel, when you go to Maui!

Baldwin, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first few nights of our honeymoon. We received a warm welcome and free room upgrade to a suite. The resort grounds are very beautiful and relaxing. The hotel staff were professional and courteous. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and the stay all in all was good. This is an awesome resort with 50+ acres property. I would recommend this in general, but came across some negative points that people should keep in mind before they book here and stay
1. 20 mins north of Kanapalli where all the action is and you might want to stay here ( unless you like more peace and quiet)
2. Since the property is elongated by design, our room in Ritz was very far (  5 min walk from the front reception) ..This was a pain doing it every day or twice a day. I would prefer having a room not too far from the front lobby. Besides, there was no direct back entrance to the room to save me some time.  I had to walk through the entire hotel to get to my room.
3. The floor # and room # are out of whack, because of some history in the design of the property. Example my room # is 2342 which is located on floor 3 which is below the lobby floor which is floor 6 which is actually called Floor L.
Most people I talked to could not figure this out.
4. Self - parking is far from Valet parking and it adds to the long walk back to your room
5. This place was too quiet and not happening for me. We would go back and stay closer to Lahaina and Kanapalli

3 stars given for
1. Great property which is well maintained
2. Rooms are spacious and adds to a nice stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrival / First Impressions (3.5/5):
Our flight landed in Maui around 10:30, and after getting our rental car and stopping at Safeway for snacks and drinks for the week, we headed off to the hotel. We arrived around 12:15, which we knew was early, so we decided to self-park and explore the property before taking our things out of the car. The view when you first walk in is absolutely stunning; the main lobby is open air looking out onto the palm tree lined pool and crisp blue ocean in the distance. We went over to inquire about check-in, knowing we were well before the 4pm checkin time. Someone came over with two leis as part of our greeting which was a nice touch. They noted we were there, took our phone number, and said they would call as soon as a room became available. Next, we walked around the entire property and stopped at the Beach House mini-restaurant/bar and enjoyed a few beers and took in the beautiful view. Around 2:30 we decided to head back to see the status of getting a room, but still nothing was ready. So, we went to the main bar and decided to get another beer thinking it wouldn't be much longer. The bartender, Mike, was awesome and gave us a TON of valuable advice on where to go on which days and validated some of the activities we had planned ahead of time. We kept checking in periodically with the staff to see if our room was ready. This went on until around 4:15pm, 15 minutes after the noted checkin time, and 4 hours after we had arrived. I know we were early, but I have never had to wait that long for a room to come available. We finally went to the desk again, and they said the reason for the wait was because a light bulb was out. At this point, we wanted to get in our bathing suits and swim before it got dark, so I insisted we get out room. Mike, the bartender, was extremely sympathetic and comped our drinks, definitely a nice gesture that made the wait suck a little less. The room was what we had expected, nicely furnished, very clean, and a nice balcony overlooking the golf-course (see my room recommendation tips for more info).

Property (5/5):
As noted in the title, the property is beautiful, and this is what meant the most to us. The landscaping is perfectly manicured with beautiful flowers, nicely cut green grass, and tall palm trees. It is large, but that didn't bother us. The week we chose, first week of school for kids, was perfect; there was always room at the pool and beach contrary to what I have read from some other reviews this week. Everything was pleasantly un-crowded. The inside of the resort is nice, having been re-done in 2008 I read. As I said, the rooms are furnished nice and kept very clean. We had a fridge in the room which was great for snacks/drinks of our own. The bathroom has a bathtub, which we didn't use, his and her sinks, and a decent sized shower. There were also two closets so we each could keep our clothing in one. The room itself had a chaise, a nice large bed with plenty of pillows, a table, two nightstands and one with the safe, and a good sized porch with two chairs and a table. Back outside, the pools were great. There are three pools, each at a different level, with small waterfalls connecting them. On the sides of the pools there are two hot-tub/spas. There's also a kid pool and play area. One of the pools and one of the hot-tubs are adults only, which is nice if there are a lot of kids during your stay (there weren't when we were there). There are cabanas for rent, and if you don't like a ton of sun I would get one (but they hold 4 people). During the day there is little to no shade around the pools. The water is clear and refreshing. After the pools, there is a very large lawn where there is shuffle board, bocce, and croquet. There are also hammocks scattered around the property in the lawn areas (AWESOME for star gazing at night). Walking down toward the beach, there are tennis courts. Some have complained about the walk down to the beach, but I actually enjoyed it. It's not that far, and if you do care about walking two tenths of a mile or have mobility issues, there is a golf cart that can drive you down. At the top of the beach area there are pool-type chairs and smaller cabanas, showers, and the Beach House restaurant. The beach itself is clean, quiet, and has nice water with light to moderate surf so swimming is generally safe. We also saw a family of turtles one day in the water! Overall, the property is wonderful and one of the most beautiful places I have been.

Service (3.5/5):
Sometimes the service was awesome. I mentioned Mike, the bartender. We had one awesome waitress at the Beach House. The housekeeping folk are friendly and attentive. People generally say "aloha" as you pass them or give a smile. But some people really seem to care less. I got a few "what's up?"s when I went to the pool towel shack and bars. Even though I'm younger and maybe that seemed appropriate, I know when I worked in customer service that type of greeting was unacceptable. For food service, things generally took really long. They have few servers working, so I can see why it took a while, but sometimes we wouldn't see our waiter/waitress for 15-20 minutes and be in need of a new drink, ketchup, or something like that. Overall, there were a few gems, but I would say the service is not what I would expect from a resort, let alone a Ritz Carlton.

Food/Drinks (3.5/5):
Insanely hit or miss food. LUNCH: We loved a few of the appetizers, like the lemongrass cocoanut shrimp rolls, and some lunch items like the fresh fish (grilled and served in a sandwich when we had it). But other things, like the burgers, were absolutely sub-par. Aside from being overcooked, they just were nothing special. The choices were pretty limited during the day, too. Something like 2 salad choices, 2 entree choices, 2 sandwich choices, a few appetizers. I expected more variety. The prices were pretty steep, too, given the quality ($60-80 for food and 1-2 drinks each with tip). DINNER: We ate off the property for dinner most nights, with the exception of one where we ate at the Terrace restaurant. The restaurant itself is well decorated and has wonderful views at night. The wine selection was good, and so was the list of entrees. We both decided to have the fresh fish, which was served in a very unique way. It turned out to be delicious and exactly what we had hoped for. Overall, this was probably my favorite meal of the trip. BREAKFAST: Never had breakfast, although I heard the buffet is good (it should be for $30 per person). We went to the coffee shop each day and got something small like croissants/muffins/scones/donuts along with house coffee/tea. DRINKS: Any mixed or specialty drink will run you $30 for two with tip; the pina coladas are awesome though. We stuck to beer and wine. Beers are the best value, running $5-6. Wine (5oz pour) is real steep, most glass prices were double what you would expect for the same wine. But this is expected.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 6 are actually the Lobby level so you get a lot of the foot traffic entering and exit...
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was our second visit to the Ritz-Carlton, always a sign that the first visit must have been a happy one! Nothing much has changed, except that this time we unwittingly coincided our visit with the mainland school vacation. We have nothing against children (used to be children ourselves, actually, and have four of our own!!) but the noise level was higher than we would like. As other reviewers have noted, it's a very large hotel, and if many of the guests are under twelve it starts to look and sound like a holiday camp. We were given a great upgrade, which helped compensate. All that aside, the restaurants and bars are great - excellent food, and service. Our room overlooked the pools and the ocean - couldn't be any better really. One small gripe, on a very personal level - my title is Dr, not Mrs and for some reason almost every staff member referred to my husband as Dr and myself as Mrs. Despite our continued correction of the mistake the gender stereotyping persisted. Boohoo!

Room Tip: The higher the better - above the noise and with great views across the ocean towards the horizon.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The property is very nice but is very large over 700 rooms and not enough staff or service for a RC. This was my second stay at this property which felt much different than about 5 years prior. The rooms are nice, well appointed and still in good condition for not being renovated since opening. However, this time the property was very full and it just felt like they didn't have enough staff to properly take care of guests. This is even more important considering the room rate being charge.
When this full, there's not enough restaurants on the property for guests and food quality was okay...not bad but not great.
A sad part is their beach area with lounge chairs accommodates about 25 to maybe 40 people if squeezed in. It has limited beverage service, one person and not very quick. They allow guest to reserve the lounges ahead of time which is okay but makes it difficult to impossible because of the limited space....don't count on getting one on your first day or unless you get up very early. This is a grass area because they said the hotel isn't allowed to bring the lounge chairs or serve food on the beach, plus they will not hire another company to do this.
Also, the beach is about a 10 minute walk down a steep path. So unless you have a porter drive you in a cart, best to be okay for the walk.
Again, the property is nice but I feel only if there are not too many guests staying there. Otherwise I would consider it a RC experience and certainly not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!