“Breathtaking views” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Fifth Night
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Kapalua
“Breathtaking views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

You definitely won't be disappointed. They packed a picnic for us for our day in the high country. The breakfasts were amazing with wonderful natural condiments. The staff was very friendly and so helpful in many ways,, definitely go there if you are considering this hotel!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

1,841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed here 4 or 5 times in the past and always try to stay here when I am in Maui. While it is not the top hotel in Hawaii, it is by far better than anything you would find in Oahu with the exception of the Royal Hawaiian. If you are coming to lay around the pool or beach there are probably better choices. When the trade winds are blowing it can be quite windy. The beach is pretty non existent, but there is one of the finest public beaches next to it. The wind does make a nice surf to play in and also keeps it cooler than Wailea.
The grounds are very nice and the paths can take you on a nice 1 to 1 1/2 mi. walk/run. The breakfast buffet is very nicely done and the bed and breakfast package is a great value. The three golf courses are the best in the state and include the world class Plantation course.
Even if you are not catholic attending mass at the chapel on the grounds is an unforgettable experience. The sides open up and the hymns are sung in Hawaiian. Consider a day trip to Molokai to tour the old lepper colony. It is a short flight out of the Kapalua airport. Also Kaanapali and Lanai are just up the road and offer great shopping.
For the most part the physical property is in pretty good shape with the exception of the filthy worn out hall carpeting. The pool area is very pretty with the exception of the awful cabana's. They are falling apart and I don't understand the TV's.
When visiting Maui, Kapalua offers something not found on other parts of the island, and a no brainier if you are a golfer.

Room Tip: Bed and Breakfast great value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

With the range of opinions stated here about this hotel, it was hard to get a "fix" on what to expect before I arrived. I can only speak for my husband and me, but we really loved it. Staying on Marriott points, we feared we might be treated as second class citizens, but the contrary was true. The entire staff went out of their way to make sure we were warmly welcomed and happy with our room. These folks are really genuinely good people. Not a single hint of pretentiousness or stuffiness.

We especially enjoyed the comfortable bed. The frette linens were the smoothest I have ever encountered. We slept like babies, and that's saying something because we are really OLD and usually full of aches and pains. Room was kept really clean. Absolutely no complaints.

Another thing we enjoyed was the new restaurant down the large staircase from the main lobby. It's called the Terrace. Apparently it's only been open for a few weeks for dinner (has always been the breakfast buffet location). We just happened upon it our first night because we were too tired to drive anywhere. We liked it so much that we ate there every night they were open (3 of the 5 nights we were there). We found the service really top-notch and the food exceptional. Fresh local ingredients and even their own restaurant-made ice cream (the Kona coffee ice cream was addictive!) I loved the lobster veloute soup, too. From what we were able to learn, the folks from the recently-closed Banyan Tree restaurant have transitioned to this new one. I never ate at the Banyan Tree, so I can't compare the two. I just know we loved the food and felt really at home here (a variety of options, from fine dining to flatbreads and salads).

Speaking of food, I can honestly say I never had a bad meal at any of the venues here. Ate two lunches at the Pool Restaurant and several other snacks and lunch items at the Lobby Bar and Cafe. Things take awhile to be prepared, but truly a cut above. (You can tell that I focused a lot on eating while I was here, can't you? It's kind of embarrassing as I read back over this review, sigh)

Enjoyed the hot tub and pool. Didn't use the beach. We patronized the Aina coffee shop in the morning instead of the pricey $32.00 breakfast buffet. Found the folks there delightful! (There I go, talking about food again).

Would return to this hotel in a New York minute and feel that some of the criticisms here are based on unrealistic expectations. This is Hawaii and there is just a different vibe and a different way of living. It is more laid back. That is a GOOD thing. You might find a mainland Ritz-Carlton in a metropolitan area more formal and --- perhaps --- more spiffy, but that would be out of place here. This is a wonderful hotel in a beautiful setting, with lovely people and ultra comfortable rooms. The food is really good. If some of the carpets are a bit worn, etc. etc. etc., I don't think it detracts in any way from the experience. The physical plant takes more of a beating in the tropics and it's almost impossible to keep things totally pristine all the time. Between renovations, some things may show a little wear and tear. I've found that to be the case wherever I've stayed in Hawaii. I will say that groundskeepers and maintenance people were always working while we were there...it's obvious to us that the hotel takes great care.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Last night in Hawaii after 2 at Halekulani and 5 on Lanai. This place is way too big to have any kind of intimate service. Tons of kids, families and groups. Nice grounds and landscaping but way too crazy to qualify for a relaxing vacay. Go to Lanai.
Room is standard Ritz. Recently updated and nice. Off label amenities look cheap.
Not upset we are leaving this place tomorrow. Probably great for golf or family. Otherwise, keep it.

Stayed April 2013
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Late in posting, but stayed here about 2 yrs ago in April for 3 nights. Got a good deal through Orbitz, where I booked flight, hotel, and rental car. Grounds were very nice, staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable with nice amenities. We were supposed to have an "ocean view" but it was more like a sliver of a view. There was a pretty well equipped gym. There were definitely a lot of families with small kids, which was fine, but if you're expecting a quiet getaway with mostly adults, I would say this was not it. The beach was small, and definitely not as nice as those on the western side of the island. If you rent a car, the hotel is a short drive away from Lahaina where there are a lot of nice restaurants to eat at. If I had to stay in Maui again, I would probably try somewhere on the west side of the island, so that I'd have closer access to the beaches there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brentwood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Well, what can I say. Wow!! This was my 2nd year on an assignment in Hawaii. Last year I wrote a wonderful story about my stay in Kauai. This year we were placed at the Ritz-Carlton in beautiful Maui. Folks, all I can say is now I know what heaven will look like. Everything about this property is heavenly! The staff are very attentive. And their security team was amongst one of the best! Kudos to the team. The scenery is right out of the pages of what the Garden of Eden would look like. All I can say is this: “If planning a trip to Hawaii and you want to be in EDEN, then stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Maui!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed 4 nights for a work function. The hotel is "nice" but I kind of expected more from a Ritz - not sure why but, I did. There was nothing particularly exceptional about the hotel. From the grounds to the service it was okay. The food was mediocre at best - in fairness the meals were for a rather large group but, a number of dishes were very poorly executed and the breakfast was terrible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!