“Rejuvenating, Refreshing, Invigorating and then.....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Fifth Night
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Maui, Hawaii
“Rejuvenating, Refreshing, Invigorating and then.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The first thing I notice when I am driving "into" Kapalua is the color green. The hot summer air of Lahaina/Kaanapali softens with the tropical breezes that bless Kapalua. Driving down the pine tree lined road to the entrance of the resort, gives the impression that you "have arrived". The backdrop, as you are driving down, is a wilder version of our tropical seas being tussled about by wind and currents - dancing whitecaps playing ceaselessly. Part of the beauty of Kapalua is it's tame wildness. Out of the hustle and bustle, a hundred shades of green soothe your soul and prepare you for being pampered, as that is how the staff at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua intends to and does treat you.

The Ritz Kapalua presents to you a gentle sophistication and understated elegance. I love the change they made to the lobby. Out with the old and in with the new, which was a divergence from Ritz Carlton's standard overstated elegance. The lobby is a fun place to hang out to relax, socialize, listen to live music, have a libation. Set aside some resort time to enjoy this part of the hotel. We did!

We had a residence suite during this visit. These are AWESOME rooms! They are the newest room/suite upgrade that was completed a few years ago. The hotel closed down for several months and converted a whole wing into these gorgeous esthetically pleasing and highly functional suites. Our one bedroom had a large flat screen TV in the bedroom and living room. The "kitchen" has almost everything you need. Sink, dish washer, refrigerator, microwave, all kitchenware. Absent are a stove or oven. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I bought eggs to make for breakfast!??!! I KNOW there is no stove top as I have stayed in these suites several times. Chock it up to "maturity" :) Have you ever made scrambled eggs in the microwave? Not very good! Don't buy frozen pizza either! Yup, I did that too! Not very good cooked in the microwave. (At this point you may have an idea of my lack of talent for cooking!)

Upon arriving in my room, the first thing I always do is open the big sliding glass doors to allow the fresh air to waft through the room and to take a look outside at the stunning beauty. Kapalua does get a bit more rain then, let's say, Ka'anapali. Hence the green AND rainbows! I prefer to have my room look "out" then look "in" towards the pool/other wing. This suite had no ocean view which was just fine to me. It offered a view of a "sea of green" with a tapestry of color rolling to and fro up the mountainside.

The Ritz Carlton Kapalua has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I am not a world traveler but I have slept in more than my fair share of 5 - 6 star beds. The Kapalua Ritz has been delivering this luxuriating experience longer than most resorts in Hawaii. Going to bed at night and waking up in the morning are both opportunities to let out that sigh of "OMG this bed is sooooooooooooo comfortable"!

My favorite culinary experience at the resort is the Banyan Tree with mouthwatering eclectic offerings. The sushi bar off the lobby is a fun tasty social experience.

I enjoyed a aromatherapy lomi lomi massage in the Spa on this trip. The Spa is extremely well designed with 2 relaxation rooms.

Although I live on Maui, I enjoy a good Mai Tai as much as the next visitor when I am enjoying one of our fabulous island resorts. Let me qualify....... Mai Tais at the pool! One of the reasons I like to go to resorts is to work on my suntan. Slather on Bain de Soilel #4 Red Gel and get semi horizontal with a good Mai Tai and I am in my element. The Ritz has GREAT Mai Tais. There are no bells and whistles at the Kapalua Ritz pool. It IS nicely designed with views of the ocean and great pool side service. If you feel like splurging you might want to rent a cabana. They are huge and extremely well appointed!

The Ritz Carlton Kapalua is an "oceanfront" not a beachfront property. You need to get a little exercise and saunter down to JT Fleming Beach. Early morning and sunset are awesome for walking. The waves/ocean can be a little precarious so get in the water with care. The hotel offers loungers on the grassy area near the beach. And, there is a bar and restaurant with the stunning ocean view for you to enjoy. This area is mostly shaded by swaying palms so be ready to be lulled into a gentle slumber as the fluttering breeze in the palm fronds whispers to you.

We really loved driving the "backside" of the west maui mountains over to Iao Valley. It's a stunning drive although a little "hairy" with some one way/one car wide areas. I highly recommend this drive. Give yourself lots of time to stop and take pictures and enjoy the views. If you plan on also visiting Iao Valley, you should plan this trip in the earlier AM before the clouds engulf the upper part of the Valley and Iao Needle. Although Iao is gorgeous under any circumstance, if you have the opportunity to walk along the stream to the back part of the forested area. If you venture off the beaten path you might also discover ancient hawaiian terrace walls on the right side of the trail.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Korean first
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Wd have stayed at the Ritz on Maui a couple of times over the years. It is a hotel that has both good and bad qualities. On this trip I give it 5 for everything.
We first visited the Ritz on our honeymoon several years ago and absolutly fell in love with the location, vistas, people, and service. Unlike some of the other hotels on the island, this hotel is a quiet and relaxing place in Maui,
On previous stays the Ritz Kapalua was not completely up to par with many of the other very high-end Ritz hotels. I have also had some problems with the service now and then. I attribute that to the union situation at this property.
This time, however, the resort was fantastic.
The ritz's hotel grounds are beautiful and there are many nice places to walk. If you want a relaxing vacation on Maui, this is the place to visit.
I'm glad the Ritz was better this trip.

Room Tip: The larger rooms on the right side of the hotel are great for families.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in March 2013. The service was great and the rooms are extremely nice and large. Many of them are suites. The beach is a walk down the hill but they have a shuttle that will take you back up if you don't want to walk it. Walk up the hill to the Honolua store for cheaper breakfast or lunch (and great T-shirts). There are wonderful restaurants very close and often times the hotel will shuttle you to them. Just ask them...
Loved our stay! We will go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua at the end of February. The hotel itself was a lovely property with a beautiful view and very nice public areas. The guest rooms was nice as well, but the hallways were "tired". Time for new carpet, the elevators was seriously confused and slow and the overall hallway feel was dark and dingy. That's too bad, because the rest of the property felt very upscale. Our guestroom was very nice, with one big exception... there were NO hooks or towel hangers in the bathroom!! There were double bars over the tub for clean towels, (keep in mind there was a separate shower unit, not one in the tub) but no other place to hang towels, or wet bathing suits! Not even for a handtowel near the sinks! Is it me, or is that just strange for a hotel? With four of us in the room, it made for a very messy bathroom - all of the time!!

The pool at the Ritz is very nice, albeit drinks are very overpriced, but what would you expect at the Ritz? Two margaritas and two smoothies for the kids came to over $50 with tip. Yikes! The gym was very well appointed and clean. The beach at the Ritz, although pretty, is a very long walk and dangerous! I couldn't relax having the kids there, so we spent our "water time" at the pool.

No fault of the Ritz, but the weather in Kapalua was interesting. There was a perpetual rain cloud hanging over the Ritz and the winds were sometimes unbearable at the pool. The way the buildings are situated, makes for a perfect wind tunnel coming up off the ocean. Between that and the raincloud, made it less than desireable for a "Hawaiian" vacation. Each day you could drive 10 minutes down the road and be out of the rainclouds and wind... very strange. Also, if you are the type that wants to be convenient to off resort activities.. reconsider your stay at the Ritz. The hotel is a long way away from activities. We spent a lot of time in our car just driving, which isn't ideal on vacation.

My final beef... the $18 daily resort fee that is charged at check out on top of normal room fees. When I inquired I was told it was to cover the "complimentary" services such as internet, coffee and tea in the room, the van shuttle service etc. Not for nothing, but I thought the word "complimentary" generally meant it was just that. Wish I'd known, i would have been sure to use some of these services!!

Anyway, we were not unhappy with our stay, but there was enough negative that it is very unlikely that we would stay at the Ritz in Kapalua again.

Room Tip: Ocean View offered as good of view as Ocean Front
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I guess some people just enjoy complaining...we stayed at the Ritz for 5 days before moving on and had a wonderful time so I am not sure what the complaints have been about.

The hotel staff was attentive. The decor was beautiful and the rooms were nice and big. We enjoyed the pool and the ocean. We watched whales jumping in the distance and did a hike along the shoreline on the lava rocks. It is also just down the road from Lahania and Kaanapali.

The only thing I might suggest is to heat the pool a little warmer in the spring months. It was quite cold and unenjoyable.

We have a time share at the Marriot in Kaanapali so it was fun to try something different.

We really enjoyed our trip and would gladly return!

Room Tip: We had a garden suite...you could still see the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. This was the perfect place to spend it, they have a private beach, which is great because you don't have to deal with all the tourist. They also have nice lunch spot to eat at that overlooks the ocean, but it is a bit pricy for what it is. Each room has a balcony that is great for in the morning to sit out on. The location is great the area is not over crowded and you feel like your getting away.They also have some great pools to swim in and at night they have hammocks in the trees to look at the stars.The rooms are nice they have recently been remodeled and look great the bathroom is nice ad there shampoo smells amazing. Room service is wonderful and I told them ahead of time that we were here in our honeymoon and they had strawberries and champaign waiting when we arrived, and the staff is super friendly ad will help you with anything. Overall it was a wonder place to stay, again it is costly but then again it is the Ritz.

• Stayed October 2012
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have travelled to Maui several times for short vacations, before I had only stayed in vacation rental condos. This time I decided to live it up a bit and stay at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, and I am glad I made that choice. The rooms are nice and the property expansive, but the real difference was the services I received.

Upon my arrival I was greeted with a smile by the nice front desk person, he was very apologetic when he informed me that there was currently not a clean room available but promised to call me on my cell as soon as one opened up.

I decided to kill time at pool bar/café under a large shaded area and enjoy some of the local beers. My waiter, Maximus, was amazing from the start, he help steer me towards the Maui Brewing Companies Bikini Blonde ( I cannot believe that in all of my trips here I had never had a beer from this local brewery) and brought me out chips and salsa to help tide me over while I waited for my room. No sooner had the chips arrived than my cell was wringing, it was the front desk letting me know my room was ready. Maximus boxed up my chips and salsa and put my beer into a plastic cup so I could take them with me to my room.

I ended up having lunch at the pool bar/café each of my 3 days in Maui and was lucky to get Maximus as a server each time, I say lucky because he ended up being one of the best adventure guides I have ever had on a vacation. He directed me to 2 different snorkeling sites ( too special to share on trip advisor, lol) that we both less than 20 mins away by car and let me know where I could pick fresh guava on morning hikes. His attention to detail on my food order, I cant each dairy, made my food ordering a surprisingly easy task and he even got me to step out of my comfort zone and to try their signature Pina Colada’.

The trip was short but great, and made more enjoyable by the attention of one very kind and extremely helpful employee. The service I received throughout the hotel was superb and to be honest the only reason that I will spend this much money on a hotel in the future- the team here has made me a true believer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!