“Incredible destination!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Florence, Oregon
“Incredible destination!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my wife's and my second time here. The room was immaculate and well appointed with conveniences such as nice toiletries and a charging station for all your gadgets on the side of the TV stand (I wish they told us about that and we didn't have to find it). The pool area is the best laid out pool complex that we have ever been to as it can accomodate many people, but still feels intimate due to the tiered levels and many pools (three large pools, one adults only, two jacuzzis, one childrens pool). There is a walk to the beach, but there are golf carts that will pick you up at the restaurants at either side (pool bar, beach bar). DT Fleming beach is perfect for the family. The restaurants, in general are very good, although there is a somewhat limited variety from each. One really nice touch is they pipe in a mild pineapple smell into the main lobby area!

The only reasons I did not rate this five stars is there are some maintenance issues such as carpet looking old, the pools are dirty and have some cracked and loose tiles and some of the restaurants are understaffed (we waiting for 15 minutes in the Aloha Lounge and were never even greeted so we went elsewhere).

All things considered, this was a wonderful place to stay for a relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Closer to lobby area for shorter walks. All rooms have great views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just completed our stay a the Ritz and what can I say? It's a Ritz! Everything about the place is top notch. The staff is some of the friendliest and most helpful staff I have seen in my years of travel.
The hotel itself is very beautiful and in a great location. The property itself is well maintained and the hotel has a gorgeous view of the water and a nice beach area at the bottom of the property. They say it's about a mile walk to the beach, and it doesn't look that far, but I guess it is. On the entrance road to the hotel are a number of shops including a general market where you can buy souvenirs, snacks and groceries. I think they also had prepared food. The pool is beautiful! We are pool people and love to hang by the pool in the afternoon. It was relaxing and there were plenty of chaises available. There is pool side service providing drinks and food. (the server was a real charmer! LOL!) There is also a play area for kids near the kiddie pool for those with small children.
The room itself was very comfortable. It was a basic room and was not huge, but was very comfortable. The bedding and furniture was very nice. It was also immaculately clean! (I don't say that often) Other than one small mark on the chair, I couldn't find anything unclean about the place! They mopped the floors regularly and you could tell they had recently cleaned the drawers of the dresser as it looked like someone had just used furniture polish in it! The only complaint we had a bout the room was that the bedside lights 'flickered'...we requested the staff to look into this, but forgot to remove the DND sign and so they didn't enter to check it out. However, the staff left us a message to this effect and checked that we didn't want to have it looked into. We were only a day away from leaving at this point, so we didn't bother, but this was really our fault for not persuing it further.
My husband however, didn't care for the condition of the carpeting in the hallways. I felt that was 'picking' a bit. Yes, it is well worn and even a bit discolored, but you could tell the vacuum and shampoo it often so it didn't upset me at all. Besides, I wasn't sleeping on the hallway carpet! :)
We ate breakfast a few of the days at their restaurant and enjoyed it very much, however it's a bit pricy! It was $32/pp but offered a wide variety of breakfast items and included made to order eggs benedict - which made hubby happy! Oh and great coffee! Once or twice we ventured a few miles down the road to McDonalds...and got breakfast there.
Within a few miles (south) of the hotel are a couple of supermarkets. You could easily stock up on a few snacks and such and keep them in the mini fridge in the room.
Overall a fantastic stay! Relaxing, not over crowded feeling...nothing bad to say here! They deffinetely pay attention to the 'little' details.

Room Tip: The property is HUGE...if you are not up to the maze of hallways and a lot of walking, I would sugge...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiddleAgedTravlrs
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a top notch establishment that understands the meaning of hospitality and quality. I am writing this review before my stay is even over because I am so confident in this place.
Everything has exceeded my expectations. I have dietary restrictions and all have been accommodated. I have really not had to ask for anything because they understand the needs and comforts of their guests and provide for them. Location is gorgeous, amenities are first class. If I could give this resort a sixth diamond, I would!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank CaLiberty1
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went to Maui over Thanksgiving with friends. The Ritz Carlton is what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton-- luxurious, great service and expensive.

The room was beautiful, the property is a true paradise, Spa was heavenly, golf had great views (I didn't even care how bad I played!).

I only wish it wasn't as far to everything else as it is.

Love it!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luisa_SF
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nicely laid out Ritz carlton resort in Maui. It is in Kapalua, so away from all the hustle and bustle, has a private beach, the hotel is spaced out nicely so its not overcrowded especially when you have families around. The pool is big, they have a nice ground for golf, walking and jogging. Overall a good property.

Room Tip: Try to get the club room, you get practically everything for free, they have a good afternoon tea an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adrah
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just returned from a 5-night vacation over Thanksgiving in Maui (purchased as part of a Costco travel package). The Ritz was our home away from home. I think the luxury properties have a tough hill to climb with review sites like TA because as a traveler, my expectations are much higher than they are with a budget or mid-range property. So we arrived in Kapalua with expectations high and I am happy to report the Ritz did not disappoint. They met and exceeded expectations our entire stay. Every point of contact we had at the hotel was friendly, efficient and hospitable. Due to flight delays we arrived very early on Maui and the property immediately offered to have our room ready early as they knew we were tired from the trip. On every outing we embarked on, they had either helpful suggestions or in the case of our sunrise crater trip, very warm blankets for us which you should definitely take them up on! We did use the spa and both of us found our therapists to be quite good and the facilities excellent. Kudos to the Ritz - you lived up to the brand values you present to us travelers.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one-bedroom suite with a partial ocean view and loved it. Two sitting areas on the pa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sstrauss51
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

With a brand name like Ritz Carlton and the prices that are charged to stay there, you have a certain expectation that you will get what you pay for - which should be a lot. Well this definitely is not the case. It seems as though the hotel relies on the location and physical aspects of the hotel (because it is gorgeous) to wow the guests. The service was mediocre to say the least. The check in process was fast however, no information about the hotel, facilities or anything was mentioned. Nor was the process of holding money on the credit card for incidentals. I am aware of the process of holding money because I work as a receptionist in a large brand name hotel, and trust me, you need to notify people of this process to save everyone a lot of headaches and trouble. We were told somebody would show us to our room however that didn't happen so we had to walk aimlessly around the massive property to ask someone where our room was. Pretty poor after traveling for 24 hours. The room itself is absolutely gorgeous, as is the property itself. The breakfast was decent but took quite sometime to get extra hot water an so on. Also a note, you have to hire a car if staying here because it is literally in the middle of nowhere so be warned. A magnificent property and room that was let down by its service, such a shame for a mother and daughter who saved for the last six months to stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank MissBecca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!