“The perfect place for us” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Virginia Beach
“The perfect place for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I love nature, and being able to have privacy while still being able to enjoy staying in a nice place. What I liked about the Ritz Carlton was that it gave us just that privacy and nature.
The room was your typical Ritz Carlton room very nice and comfortable. The hotel made our room even nicer by upgrading us to a partial view of the ocean which is always an added bonus when staying somewhere by the ocean.
The pool area is large enough that you are able to find your own space without feeling like you are on top of others or swimming by the hotel restaurants. The grounds are so peaceful and connect to the Kapalua Coastal Trail. I loved walking on this trail in the mornings, and I highly recommend doing it. Both beaches by the hotel, D.T. Flemming and Oneloa Bay are pretty and provide lots of space to sit back on, but I felt when we were there that they were not the best swimming beaches. Oneloa is good for watching the sunrise and sunset also further up on the coastal trail you can find many areas to look at the sun do its thing too. I also liked that the road by the Ritz connected to the lower Honoapilani Road which in my opinion is one of the prettiest areas in West Maui. If you don’t like the beaches connected to the Ritz just drive 2 minutes down this road to Kapalua beach or Napili Beach. These beaches are so pretty with water that glows when the sun is out, just get there early before it gets too crowed. There are also so some good laid back restaurants near these beaches. If you like nature ride 5 minutes north of the hotel on upper Honoapilani Hwy your will find some beautiful places.
In truth this was the right hotel for us on this trip, but if you are looking for a lot of beach activity and sunny mornings I don’t know that I would recommend it for everybody. The resort is not one you go to and spend your whole day at. Too me it was refreshing to wake up at and come back to after a long day somewhere else on Maui.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
Douglass, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I usually stay at a Ritz-Carlton a couple times a year for company events. This property gave us the same excellent service we've come to expect. For me the best part was the Plantation Golf course . I love playing this course. It has some of the best views one can find while swinging a mashie. One drawback is that it is a pretty good hike down to the beach. All in all a great place to get some R&R.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Amaizing hotel with everything what you want to be in paradise, with nice pools and jacuzzi, near beach. Breakfast is perfect, hotel restaurant is very well. Room is very comfortable and clean, we had view to the sea with balcony.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Im really torn as to whether to give 3 or 4 stars. I give 3.5. This hotel, while beautiful, is overrated and needs to get over itself. Yes the pool is breathtaking. Yes the rooms are luxurious. But honestly, I removed 2 stars for (some of) the service. This was our 4th and final stop in Hawaii and of all places we stayed here the staff here just seems too "on". Its too formal. "ALOHA, MR. SO-and-SO". Like its an act theyre forced to put on. We arrived at 12:30 and our room wasnt ready (this is an enormous property and I am certain rooms were available like the previous THREE resorts on our trip, but check in time is 4pm so fair enough) they took my mobile number and said they'd call when our room was ready. In the meantime we retrieved our swimwear from our luggage so we could enjoy the beautiful pool. Come 4pm no phone call so at 4:30 went to reception and got the key to the room-ok, fine. Not sure if/when they had planned to call.. By the pool the drinks servers were overlooking us more than they should have..I don't know if you're supposed to wave a $20 bill to get them to come over. Our last day one guy in particular (Luke?) was the only one who was somewhat attentive, bringing us ice water throughout the day and refreshing our drinks. And the poolside lunch. Ok I get it it's a Ritz Carlton but $17 for a salad (greens and 4 grape tomatoes) and an ADDITIONAL $8 to add shrimp?! Give me a freaking break. The specialty cocktails ($13) are excellent, the breakfast buffet was very good, standard stuff nothing really exciting ($47 for a flute of Dom, a big LOL). Our server there one morning was like a zombie. The only seemingly genuine people we met were the breakfast hostess and the housekeeping staff. Everyone else was just too "on" and it seemed very fake to the point of pretentious. I wouldn't say don't stay here but be prepared to tip people left and right-between valet, luggage, drinks, pool chair setup (MOST COMFORTABLE EVER), it is obvious the staff here relies heavily on gratuity so be armed with lots of small bills at all times. It got overwhelming when you have one person unloading your luggage, another person opening your car door, yet another person bringing your luggage to your room, who do you tip or am I shelling out 20 bucks before I even walk through the door? It was just over the top. I kind of wonder whether all of the employees go home and curse for an hour just to get it out of their system.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Welcome to paradise!! When we arrived we were greeted with a welcome cocktail and a wooden lai!! Everywhere we went we were greeted with an "Aloha" and that is indicative of how friendly the staff is. While we were a little disappointed when we got to our room and there was champagne/chocolate dipped strawberries for "Happy Birthday Anita" which was not either of us, and we were there celebrating our honeymoon, it was more than made up for when the next night we had champagne in the room celebrating our honeymoon and beautiful flowers lining the path to the bed where there were more flowers in a heart shape! From then on, everywhere we went, service teams were congratulating us on our recent wedding and buying us drinks! Super impressive!

I forgot the old adage from my mother about wearing sunscreen even when cloudy and I paid the price on Day 2 as I got pretty burnt so don't forget to wear lots of sunblock!! The pool staff is amazing with attentive servers bringing cocktails and snacks (chips and salsa, sushi, sandwiches etc). Towels and comfortable loungers poolside. The pools are beautiful and the hot tubs at night (pool and hot tub are 24 hours) were romantic!

We had the Wine pairing dinner at the Banyan Tree restaurant ($140/per person so pricy but definitely worth it). The Executive Chef is JoJo Vasquez who has worked closely with celebrity and Iron Chef Morimoto!! He came out to meet us and was so friendly and told us all about the menu. I don't think this is a regular occurence but nonetheless, it was a nice touch! Seafood was very fresh at this restaurant (I had Kampachi fish, calamari and lobster with my 4 course Duckhorn Wine pairing dinner) and my husband said the ribeye steak (14 0z!!) was one of the best he's ever had!!

We only had breakfast once at 'The Terrace' as it was pretty lackluster, especially for $32/pp and it's more food than we'd normally have in the mornings so we went grocery shopping for the morning essentials. We were in the Residential Suites which was nice because it meant having a fridge, toaster, blender, plates, cutlery, dishwasher).

All in all, service is top notch (The F&B Director went out of his way to ensure we had a fabulous honeymoon) as is expected at a Ritz Carlton. The people are so genuine and everything about this trip has been 1st class!

Room Tip: We booked the Residential Garden View Suite which overlooked the pools and was on the 7th floor whic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Absolutely breathtaking! The hotel was beautifully appointed, the views were beautiful, the bed was comfortable and no way NOT to relax. There was something for everyone. We were greeted with "Aloha" by every staff member. Several different restaurants on the property to choose from and one right on the beach. All served delicious meals and the atmosphere was wonderful. A little breezy but after the first hour - who cares. It kept the heat away and just added to the sights and sounds. Hotel has a small art gallery, jewelry store, convenience store and clothes store. There is also a little bigger deli, grocery store and conenience store across the parking lot to pick up goodies to take home or fix a snack for later while you lounge by the fantastic pool. Oh - don't forget to take advantage of the spa as it is so relaxing and melts away the day to day hectic.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a very nice, large hotel in a lovely out-of-the-way location with wild, delicious weather. In the interest of full disclosure, we arrived from Lana'i, which blew us away, so the bar was set quite high and it took us a couple of days to fully appreciate this resort. Our room was well appointed but somewhat small, with a partial ocean view and small lanai overlooking the very noisy (and this was September) kiddie pool. We had booked an ocean view room at about $600/night, so there was that initial disappointment. The room had lovely hardwood floors, but no slippers were provided, another disappointment. On to what we loved--

First, the weather. Yes, it did rain for one or two brief periods each day but the sun came right back out. And the exquisite breeze that results from the weather in Kapalua is like nothing else. Just delicious. The downside is that there were no umbrellas at the pools (except for two at the kiddie pool). Shade is hard to find, and ephemeral--not great if you can't spend too much time without it. We got some differing stories about what was going on with umbrellas (e.g. they were all "out for warranty service" or they are "a work in progress"), but even in the best case scenario, there are stantions for only about a dozen umbrellas for three non-kiddie pools. Bring a hat and lots of sunscreen (they also provide sunscreen at the pools). Obviously, the resort needs to address this.

Second, food and drink. With the exception of the dreary and cafeteria-like restaurant where average-at-best breakfast was served, the restaurants were teriffic. The sushi in the lobby bar was wonderful, as was the food/wine pairing dinner at the Banyan Tree. Regarding the latter, the chef at the Banyan Tree is structuring dinners around wines from particular wineries. We had dinner with wine pairings from ZD, one of my favorite wineries in Napa, and next up is pairings with wines from Duckhorn, just up the Silverado Trail and equally wonderful. I am picky about wine, but these are top notch. The pool and beach bars served very good food and Mai Tais.

Third, the spa. It is gorgeous, relaxing and luxurious. We had a couples massage that was sorely (haha) needed and just to die for. We really don't care if we have male or female therapists as long as they are good at what they do (tip!), and that made it easy for the spa to find us the perfect people.

Fourth, the beach. Lovely, with warm water.

Last, the location. Kapalua is really out of the way, more so than I had thought from looking at a map. Personally, I find that to be more a feature than a bug, but a word to the wise... We were a good hour from the airport.

A couple of restaurant recommendations outside the resort--
Sensei Sushi, which you can walk to.
The General Store in Hali'imaile, well over an hour's drive but a contender for the best food I've ever had.

Another recommendation--self park. The resort charges $25/day to valet park ON TOP OF their $25/day "resort fee." Really??? The self-parking lot is $10/day and pretty much right there.

Room Tip: If you can't walk far, let them know at booking--we got most of our exercise walking to and from...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!