“Loved Every Minute” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Atlanta, Ga
“Loved Every Minute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband is a Platinum rewards Marriott member so when we take family vacations we try to stay at the Marriott brand. My husband and I have previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua so we knew that it was windier on the beach than Wailea. We therefore decided to split our 9 night vacation into 2: 4 nights at the Marriott in Wailea and 5 nights at the Ritz. If you are trying to decide on which area to stay while at Maui this review may help.

We should have stayed at the Ritz Carlton for our whole vacation. I think our blood pressure went down 10 points as soon as we entered the lobby. After being at the Marriott for 4 nights, I realized how exceptional the service is at this hotel. Every staff member is friendly and eager to help. The pool is beautiful and it was easy to find chairs to lay out in, even though there were very few in the shade. Our room, a residential suite, was warm and comfortable, and housekeeping kept our towels and shampoo products in ample supply for a family of 4. I never had to ask twice for anything I needed or any question I had. Some ideas:

- went snorkeling on the Hula Girl catamaran in Hololua Bay per a recommendation from the Ritz....highly recommend! The crew was terrific and there was so much room on the catamaran. The food (extra $) was excellent and very unexpected. Also try their $5 Mai Tai - the best we had in Maui. Oh, and the snorkeling was great too...my husband and son swam with sea turtles.

-There is a coastal walking path in Kapalua that takes you to Kapalua Bay. It was hard to find at first but the views are amazing! It is mostly concrete and boardwalk but it does take you on a dirt and rock path for a short distance along the rocks by the water. Leave early and bring your camera!

- During the summer months the hotel keeps the beach restaurant open for dinner on Tuesday nights and offers a traditional Hawaiian dinner. It was excellent - one of the best meals we had on our trip - and we were also able to sit and watch the sunset.

It is true that the beach is not as accommodating at the Ritz Carlton - and I think that is the only drawback to this hotel. That is, after all, the reason why we chose not to stay the whole time in Kapalua, but there is a trade-off. The Marriott was a nice hotel, and I have nothing really negative to say about it, but we found Wailea to be extremely busy and faster-paced. The beach at the Grand Wailea was great for my 10 year old son, as he was able to paddle-board, and jump on an inflatable trampoline in the water. However, in order to reserve beach chairs on the front row by the water, you had to arrive early (before 9am) to reserve your chairs. I didn't connect with the Marriott or Wailea like I did with this hotel or Kapalua. I think it's because I was always trying to plan ahead or keep track of something - such as towel cards, resort cards, trying to stake my claim on a pool chair with a decent view before they were all taken, and housekeeping was not generous with shampoo or towels. We had to track down housekeeping a few times. The Ritz Carlton requires none of this and I was able to just "be." And that's what we needed on this vacation in Hawaii, and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have stayed here twice over the past year and look forward to returning in the near future. The rooms are beautiful, especially if you're able to get one of the suites (which are enormous apartments with kitchens and two separate patio balconies).

The service was excellent. We never met a single staffperson, from the front desk to the concierges to the housekeeping staff to the maintenance workers, who didn't greet us with a smile and go out of his/her way to ask if he/she could help us. Everyone was warm and friendly. The server in the restaurant even remembered us from a visit a few months before, which really amazed us.

Restaurants on site are pretty good but very expensive (but that's what you should expect when staying at the Ritz Carlton). I recommend the breakfast buffet, but be sure to show up early to get the best dishes and selection. We were disappointed with the dinner options and much preferred to drive off the property to find something to eat in Lahaina.

I very highly recommend this property. Aside from its limited dining options, the only downside is its location as it's far away from anything else. You'll need a car if you want to get to Lahaina, let alone South Maui. You can rent a car very inexpensively, however, so I'd recommend doing so. That will allow you to get out and see more than just Kapalua. The main problem with Kapalua is that it is VERY windy; the beaches here are nice but a bit rough because of the wind.

The trade off, however, is that you will typically pay a lot less to stay at the Ritz in Kapalua then you will to stay at its main competitors down in South Maui (such as the Four Seasons). The Four Seasons is a stunning property, but you will often pay more than twice the cost as the Ritz, and in my opinion it just isn't worth it. This is a fantastic hotel and everyone that we have come across when staying there also remarks upon how much they're enjoying their stay. You won't regret your decision to stay here!

Room Tip: The suites with a garden view (in lieu of an ocean view) are an excellent value. You get an enormous...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the Ritz while we were in Maui for our Honeymoon. Maui, to begin with, is a vacationer's paradise, unlike the hustle and bustle of Oahu. It's known for its resorts, golf courses, and beautiful scenery: beaches, greenery, and waterfalls.

The resort is gorgeous - pools, private beach access, spacious rooms w/high-end appliances. The staff was very friendly.

The Ritz-Carlton is located in Kapalua, a more secluded part of the island. It is quite a drive from some places like Wailea, Kihei, and Hana, but it is definitely worth it, if you want pure relaxation. Though, Kaanapali and Lahaina isn't too far of a drive from here.

We chose this hotel because it seemed to have the serenity (i.e. less kids, family-oriented) that we were looking for. Some of the other 5 star hotels such as the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea seemed to be more kid/family-friendly (i.e. waterslides, kids' play areas) - which we wouldn't mind in the future once we have a family of our own.

We went in early September, so most Summer vacationers had left for school/work. Just a warning, this side of the island tends to be really windy, so be prepared to bring a light sweater especially if you plan on going towards the colder months.

This is one of the pricer hotels, but the amount we paid is worth it. We definitely wouldn't mind splurging again to come back for on our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Spent a week here in June and absolutely loved it. Spent half as much on rooms as we would have at the Four Seasons and was SO glad we did. The resort is beautiful, the rooms were better than described (our "garden view" had a perfectly lovely ocean view) and the staff was always accommodating. Kapalua is definitely quieter than Wailea, so if you're looking for see-and-be-seen, this may be something of a disappointment.

The trip may not have been as much fun without a rental car. We spent lots of time exploring the little resort communities between Kapalua and Lahaina and fell in love with Lahaina.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work, we are sent all pver the world and try to splurge every few months for a nice hotel.

Figuring this is my honeymoon, I chose this hotel for 10 nights. To say that this hotel is horrible would be untrue, however- at this price, this is just another hotel. This is not a hotel that is worth anywhere near the price charged for the rooms. The hotel is in a bad location that isnt really near anything else. The beach is a very small strip that is so windy, you are constantly pelted with sand, in 8 days- I havent seen more than a dozen people on the beach at one time.

Let's talk service: The management at this hotel is just plainly a disappointment. I booked this honeymoon weeks ago and even called and emailed several times to assure an oceanview room. Guess what we got? A first floor view of the golf course. I called immediately when we arrived and was given the "runaround" despite assurance in email and via phone previously that we would get oceanview. I called again and each time I stated that I would pay extra for a better room and was basically dismissed.

We went by the Four Seasons and Marriot to see friends a few times. They BLOW this place out of the water. Waterslides, huge beachfrontss, nice restaurants, a mall, clubs, etc.

I wish I would have known better before booking this overrated hotel. My family and I always stay at "The Ritz" on vacations, I will assure that this never happens again. This review will be repeated at the State Department and DoD's boards for reference.

• Stayed July 2012
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our family of four stayed at the Ritz during Spring break, we have a GREAT time. Hotel and grounds are beautiful, yes of course you in Maui everything is beautiful!

YES the wind does blow a lot in the area and YES it does rain just about every day in March. This did not hamper our vacation one bit, on the days it did rain; we drove down to Lahaina/Ka'anapali where it’s always warm and sunny.

They have a great snorkeling area just a few short blocks down the road, Hotel offers a free shuttle service and you can rent snorkel gear at the beach.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, I prefer to stay in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area. Always sunny and warm.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Nice property - it is a Ritz. Views are beautiful, nice beach - take the golf cart shuttle back (up hill on the return). Upgrade to suite is nice with kitchenette, living room area and high square table.

Room Tip: Same level as lobby provides easy access and nice views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!