“Mouse in my room - ripped off when I left” 2 of 5 stars

You added The Lazy Hostel to your Saves list
The Lazy Hostel
61A Calle Orquideas, Esperanza 00765, Puerto Rico   |
Morristown, New Jersey
“Mouse in my room - ripped off when I left”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Let me start with the good - the place is in a good location and the food and drinks were enjoyable. Its a good party spot.

When I arrived there were mice in my room. I let the place know and they came and looked for them under the bed, but couldn't find them. They didnt have another room to give me - so thats it - you just deal. I made the best of it - no worries.

What really got me though was that when I arrived they take a $20 deposit for the key. When leaving there was no one there (I didnt leave that early - 9:30 am). So I left the key with a note to refund my card or mail me the deposit back. Nothing. Then after several email exchanges and over a month and half they still never mailed it back. Pretty much ripped off at the end for no reason. I wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here for a few days last January on a last minute deal. Charlie was an amazing host and linked us with the right tours and was pretty knowledgeable about places around the area. Although at times the bar may get loud, the rooms were pretty sound proof and we still got to sleep through the music. Had a great time, and will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: The room closest to the corner exit next tot the pub is a bit tiny, there are a couple more rooms t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed in a private room and it was very basic. Not unexpected for a hostel, but compared to the price of other hostels for what you get this place was overpriced. Our room had 2 twin beds, that's it, and cost $65. You have to share a bathroom. The bar is also attached, so it was VERY loud all night with yelling, slamming doors, etc. The location was great, though! If we return we will probably stay at Trade Winds, a hotel just a block away, that looks very nice with breakfast included for a mere $20-30 more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hostel is attached to a bar so it can be loud. But the bar closed at midnight so it can't be that bad unless you end up with fellow guests like my friend and I who met two new friends and we stayed up till 3 am chatting it up in the common area. Sorry fellow travelers! Andrea, who works there, is super nice so say hi for us!

Charlie, the tall blond guy, is the one you talk to to book your room. Ask for him at the bar. It took only a few minutes, fill out a quick form, pay for your room ($25 per person for a single bunk in an 8-bed room (female only or co-ed) or $65 per room for a private room with two beds). $20 cash towel deposit. (It might be $10 per person, not sure) The beds were comfy, air conditioned rooms, really cute rock floor common area with tables, couches and a hammock. There is a fridge you can use. Bathrooms are clean enough. Showers were lukewarm and pressure not the best but not horrible.

Walking distance to more bars and restaurants. (Don't expect local food, though). Don't be afraid to jump off the pier and swim to the island. It's shallow enough to walk once you get halfway. If you don't have a car it's easy enough to hitch a ride to most places on the island or get a taxi. You do not need to rent a car.

Finally, be warned: if you go outside at 1:30 a.m. to smoke a cigarette you will probably be approached..."Watchu need, honey? Coke? Weed?" But the hostel is locked and we felt perfectly safe there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Pros - Great location on the malecon, friendly staff, near many different bars and restaurants, comfy enough beds, nice common room.

Cons - I wouldn't recommend coming here if you're looking for a place to stay as a couple and can afford something else. Lazy Jack's can get pretty rowdy on any night of the week. The beds were just a hair too small for me (6'3") and we had a neon EXIT sign in our room, which was bizarre.

Well worth the money if you're looking for a nice, cheap spot in the middle of Esperanza.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Comfy beds, rustic and easy ambiance. Charlie was a great host/manager. The honest guy sent me $20 in the mail (key deposit) after I had already left.

Downside, charlie seems to be the only guy around. And if you want to leave before 10am, there is no one around to check out. Hence the $20 cash in the mail.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hostel is comfortable and the location is good!
They have wifi and there is a bar just near by.
Close to beach and restaurants.
Also, I got my swim short there when I left the island and then they send it back. Great service!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Lazy Hostel? Share your experiences!