“shame about the food” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bedford, United Kingdom
“shame about the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

nice decor and pub shame about the food, we had sunday carvery, plates cold and veg very under cooked. under equipped for a carvery, below average and vastly overpriced. Pity as very nice village and setting.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hi Sabra,

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention, and I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Our carvery is a very popular format on a Sunday, with many returning customers. A few of these mentioned on Sunday the same issue you had; cold plates. There is absolutely no excuse for this, and the first problem we've had with this on a Sunday. I have taken action to ensure this will not happen again.

We pride ourselves on our cooking and the quality of our produce, and we always aim for our veg 'al dente'; maintaing that natural bite, colour and freshness. I do however appreciate this isn't always to everyones taste.

Our carvery is set at a price that reflects the quality of the produce we use; excellent Beef Sirloin & Local Pork on your visit, and at other times Free Range Bramfield Chickens, Turkeys and Maple-cured Smoked Gammon. Coupled with local seasonal veg, homemade gravy, Yorkshires, Sauces & Puddings, we believe it represents fair value.

Obviously on this occasion you were unhappy. I would really like to invite you back on a Sunday at your convenience, to prove to you that this was a one-off spoilt by the temperature of the plates.

On the bright side, I'm really glad you enjoyed our pub, decor and our village setting.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ipswich
“Good food, nice pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I regularly meet a friend here for a drink and a bite to eat in the evening. The staff are good, the food is nice. No complaints...except when people sit at our favorite table by the fireplace before we get there.

Visited January 2014
Hi Joffy,

Thanks for your review and your kind words. I'm really sorry about your regular table, its definitely a favourite in the pub - especially when the fires lit!

If your eating, ring ahead and we can always try and reserve that table for you.

Thanks again, see you soon.

Wallington, United Kingdom
“Tasty meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Spent a nice time her with relatives prior to going to a concert. Lovely old pub in a quant village. I had the best gammon steak I have ever had. Service and atmosphere was friendly and good.

Visited December 2013
Hi Joyce,

Thanks for your review, I was really glad to read you had a good meal, especially that Gammon steak. It is amazing - Rare breed Old Spot Gammon. Very tasty!

Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and service, and I really look forward to seeing you again.

ryde
“Slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a lovely village pub with a great choice of beer. The bar area has comfortable seating and although quite small is not crushed. The main eating area is a conservatory that lacks the ambiance of the bar area. We have eaten here a few times but only once since the new upgrade. The food is generally good although one of our party found the fish dry. The main problem we had was the slow service both at the bar and with the food even though it was not busy. Some of the staff appeared to be either new or undertrained causing queues at the bar and slow service to the table. As far as the food goes the chef has watched too many tv food programmes. The presentation was too fussy adding little to the overall taste. This could be one reason for the slow service i.e the plating up time in the kitchen.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Hardcore53,

Thanks very much for your feedback from your dining experience. I'm really glad you enjoyed our line up of beers; we spend a lot of time sourcing the best beers from great national, international, local and craft breweries, so it pays off when we get recognition for this.
I'm really sorry that this visit wasn't up to our usual standard; it sounds to me as if you came to dine on Friday (22nd Nov), which was unfortunately a bad service for us. A combination of communication problems and many bookings arriving at the same time meant there was a backlog of orders, and subsequently this led to a longer than acceptable waiting time for food.

We're still getting used to higher trading levels since the refurbishment, and although no excuse, this had led to a few staffing and speed issues. This week we have taken on an additional member of Kitchen Staff to help us through busy services, and we have stepped up our staffing levels Front of House too to provide better front line service. We think its very important that food is presented well, and this was not the fault for the food arriving slowly.

I'd love to learn a bit more about your visit, and the opportunity to invite you back, please contact me on 01438 714 366 at a time convenient to you.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and your issues have been duly noted and addressed.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely village pub with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I had heard that the pub had recently undergone a refurbishment so we thought we would go check it out. The new interior is lovely, not too much has changed it has just given it an uplift without losing its traditional pub feel. Friendly staff, homely atmosphere and most importantly tasty food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Alex B,

Thanks very much for your review of our new interior and food, its great to hear how many people are so happy with what we've done, its been quite overwhelming to hear such nice feedback.

I really hope you continue to frequent us, and I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit.

Thanks Again,