“Stunning Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lopesan Baobab Resort

You added Lopesan Baobab Resort to your Saves list
Lopesan Baobab Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mar Adriatico, 1, 35100 Costa Meloneras, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Costa Meloneras
West Midlands
“Stunning Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is the first time I have gone Half board to a hotel abroad before, we normally go self catering but chose to do so as we were spending New Year here and wasn't disappointed.
On arriving at the Lopesan Baobab it is certainly has a stunning entrance, my 7 year old son was very impressed.
Reception checked us in quickly and were very friendly and helpful and we asked for a quiet room and got one, room 2139 which overlooked the quiet side road. Found the room a little dark and was very cold as it got no sun on it at all, we had to ask for extra quilts as we were frozen in bed.
Thats one fault I did find with the hotel as it was so open it sometimes felt like a wind tunnel seems very open to the element. The Richard burton bar was lovely but also very draughty to sit in. I wish I had took a thicker jacket.
Going back to the room, the shower was amazing best one I have ever been in, the wet room is a joy but I did notice some of the wood panelling is going mouldy which will be a problem in years to come if they don't sort it as the courtesy room we used had same problem.
Bed were comfy and the sofa bed my son slept in. Tv wasn't great if you fancied watching an english channel only news channels.....boring but a few people have commented on this.
Cleaners came into rooms everyday and left it spotless lovely service. It was my birthday while we were there and I had a note from management wishing me a Happy Birthday and some chocolates which I thought was a lovely touch.
We had the New year gala dinner which was fabulous well organised and free drinks while you ate. Then after we went up to a big conference room on the top floor with large glass windows either side to see the new year in
,we were given party bags on way in and were able to watch all the fireworks going off on the island, amazing views. Fantastic way to spend new year would defiantly recommend it.
The buffet food was good, 2 restaurants to choose from. I could not fault food yes sometimes some of it was lukewarm and I don't,t like it that you don,t all seem to sit down together to eat as having a 7 year old one of us had to help him getting his dinner, but thats just a personal thing. Lots of varied food, steaks and others meats and fish cooked fresh in front of you. Breakfast was brilliant everything you could want, my husband enjoyed a cheeky bucks fizz for breakfast too.
The pools are plentiful but sometimes a problem to get a sun bed in the sun as alot of them are in the shade and you still get people reserving them, twice we had to contend with 2 lots of rude German holiday makers hogging the beds. We tended to use the 2 pools at the front by the swim up rooms they were quieter, not so windy there and the one pool with the palms in middle was warmer than all the others. The other pools were too cold to swim in really.
The resort melonores is nice plenty of shops to look around and a few nice bars, however I do prefer the resort of Puerto Morgan hands down as have stayed there twice before, we went there for the day and it was considerably warmer than maspalomas.
Overall this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in for service, cleanness, decor, reasonable drink prices. My only gripes was the hotel seemed cold, I know it was December but seems more windy inside it than outside and the rooms were a little too dark with the lighting.
I would highly recommend this hotel to stay in over the christmas and new year period just take some warm clothes with you.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking lazy river and two pools on front look warmer rooms as get the sun on them and al...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I would like to recommend this hotel to everyone. I would like to thank all staff working in this hotel. Very plesant people, speaking very good English. The service is excellent and helpfull. Everything you need is done in 5 minutes. The hotel has its own character. It includes several buildings connected to each other. Hotel has several swimming pools, so you can always choose where you feel more comfortable. It is higly recommended for families with children. There are many activities organised for children. Hotel has several bars and restaurants where the food is excellent and various. In the morning charming staff is proposing you the glas of champagne and delicious fresh food. In the evening - enormous quantity of food (buffet). I should say too that the evening entertainments are very spectaculous and presented by professional artists and singers. About location. Hotel is situated very close to the Promenade, shopping center, Casino, Ocean. You can enjoy the evenings walking around. There many different kind of restaurants. You can find expensive or acceptable prices. If you want to see the island, you can use buse or rent a car which cost approximately 30 Euro per day. There are many things to visit. Moreover, there are many golf fields and if you like extreme sport, there is no far from the hotel the drop zone. If you like paragliding, this is good place to go. If you like to spend your day at spa, you can go to other hotel (which is located in front of Baobab hotel), pay 35 Euro and enjoy. Will, for sure, come back to this place.

Room Tip: I cant recommend to choose a good room, because we had a room on the first floor with a view to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, staff excellent. The food was fabulous. The pool area was lovely and clean although water cold, it is winter though. Only one bug bare too many children. Would have been nice to have a area in restaurant for adults only.i understand not the hotels fault . Also smoking should be a designated area and not all the outside space because I felt that I couldn't escape the smoke. All in all a great holiday.

Stayed December 2012
Alcudia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Strangely second visit for ten days and they put us in the same room. No complaints. Had a nice stay weather better in December 2012 than January 2012. My feelings about the hotel are pretty much the same. The same issues, wifi, balustrade, safe, television, mirror could be improved on
but the management choose to ignore them which is a shame. My main problem is the wifi, even the paid variety is just not good enough. This must be improved. Lack of UK television channels is not a big problem for me, but why? Other than that everything was perfect. Staff excel in many ways. Food always interesting. Rooms are kept spotlessly clean, and that bathroom is fantastic, especially the power shower. Two small complaints this time. No more turndown? Christmas carols, non stop was much too much. Other than that I expect we will be back. Many thanks again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have just spent a wonderful Christmas here. The food was very good the facilities excellent and the pools were lovely (although I only tried out 4 of the 9!) Plenty of sunbeds in sun or shade as you want. I love all the trees and plants around the hotel not quite so sure about the fake/plastic animals but the children did seem to like them. Bars were good with a good choice of lively or quiet and relaxing. I thought the prices were reasonable as well.
Good location short walk to the beach, shops, bus station or bars and restaurants.
What really made this an excellent hotel were the staff without exception we found them all to be helpful, friendly, pleasant and very efficient, from Reception to bar staff to cleaners to waiters - I couldn't find fault with one we encountered.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family - I think children would love it particularly.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and had one overlooking the front entrance and it was very quiet we didn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northumberland, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We travelled with our 1 year old, 5 year old and my parents. On arrival at the Baobab you can't fail to be impressed and a welcome drink and hassle free check-in was a great bonus. This hotel is still relatively new and it shows. The gardens are stunning and my little toddler loved spotting the safari animals hidden away. I loved the way that plants and trees were discreetly labelled too and my son liked spotting all the fruit growing. The rooms are stunning with a fantastic shower in a wetroom/bathroom though it is a little tight with a sofa bed for my son and a cot it was still perfectly fine and who goes on holiday to stay in their room anyway?! A kettle would have been a bonus but I think this is pretty typical of Canarian hotels.
The pools are the best I've experienced and we've been to some good hotels around the world. We particularly loved the lazy river. Hotel activities were great - unusually for me I did quite a few of the workouts and my son joined in with a few of the kids club activities.
Location is great - yes it's a little walk to the beach but it didn't bother us and the pool was so great we were reluctant to leave it. The hotel is close to some great shopping too and there are lots of bars and restaurants nearby too although they've priced similarly to the hotel bars and some are more expensive. We are all foodies apart from my picky son so we were apprehensive about the food - we needn't have been - the food was very good, always something we fancied. My son particularly liked the chocolate fountain! We had such a good time that we're now booking a return visit to the same hotel which is a first for us!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

You'll not find a prettier hotel in Europe. It's had so much money invested in the aesthetics of the whole place, you'll be taken back the second you go in! (see pics). I went with my missus and it suited us down to the ground. Lush, a very nice room and all brand new.

Mainly English tourists but there were also a fair few German - which actually turned out to be a lot more pleasant half the time than our nation dwelling counterparts.

Good points - There are so many pools, all landscaped beautifully. Just make sure you get up early as, as with any resort - there weren't always enough sunbeds.

The food looks amazing, although sometimes is a tad bland, but overall it's good and always plentiful.

Bad - Drinks are expensive - you really miss the option of Full Inclusive when you order 2 cocktails and it comes to over a tenner. It seems trivial, but when you're there for over a week it all adds up.

No english TV! I know I'm on holiday but sometimes it's nice to sit back and put something you can understand on in the background. We had BBC World news, CNN, something else newsy maybe and about 40 german and french channels. Not a big issue, just would've liked to have been told this in advance via the website.

Also, while we're being niggly, there IS wifi but it costs a bomb to use it from anywhere in the resort. There is however free wifi in the central bar area - which was pretty well used by what I saw.

The surrounding area is amazing, made for tourists with plenty of shops - from gift ones to Mango etc. There is also a mall nearby! If you're good with buses etc there is a bus terminal right outside the hotel. There's a hugeeeee mall 20 minutes away that has every shop in the world in it, we loved it and we're used to westfield etc! We got a taxi and it cost about 25 euros.

There is a waterpark on the island called AquaLand that you will see signs for - DO NOT GO THERE! I've literally never felt so mugged in my life. It's like something you'd see from an old episode of 'Benidorm'. Cheap, run down, poor. The 'raging river ride' was literally 50 sunburnt kids bobbing about in a donut and slowly moving around a nigh-on cylindrical pool of water, barely a current. Just bobbing there, all surrounded by a beautifully crafted chanlink fence with a warning side on it. It might be alright for toddlers, but for someone my age (and the sizable entry fee) - I can't tell you to stay away enough - especially after going to Siam Park on Tenerife - which is absolutely amazing.

There is also a nature reserve called Palmitos Park which is brilliant, a bit of a trek but brilliant. Worth it for the views alone.

We stayed away from the big beach as it got a bit chavvy. It's much nicer in the resort itself but the dunes are worth a look.

Playa Del Ingles is EXACTLY how you'd picture a beach for the english to be. Think Blackpool but with a bit of decent weather and a lot more people selling sunglasses from a large suitcase. It's alright for a look around but I certainly wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there.

Overall though, this is a great resort, only second (in my opinion) in the canary islands to the Sandos San Blas in Tenerife but they're both brilliant truth be told! Certainly the prettiest hotel you'll find on such a scale Europe. Go here! :)

Room Tip: Go for one in the middle if you can, looking over the resort. We were tucked around the side overloo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lopesan Baobab Resort? Share your experiences!