“Nice two weeks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of West Lodge Hotel

You added West Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
West Lodge Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 London Road, Aston Clinton, Aylesbury HP22 5HL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aston Clinton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Nice two weeks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed there for two weeks, the service and food was excellent.
The owners make you feel welcome and treat you as a person not just as a number.
Very flexible variations on meal times.
The room I was in, for single person is just fine, very clean and fresh.
Fantastic back garden.
I would go back any time and i would take my family for a nice break .
There is a map in every room , it tell you where about you could to go in the village.
The breakfast is brilliant.
In general i was enjoying the stay.
Thank you for a great service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mikeb29, Owner at West Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi, thank you for the review and kind comments. Very much appreciated. Cheers Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Clean room and good service. The breakfast was very good, fresh orange, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts, waffles, Then full breakfast, wood smoked bacon, sausage, eggs mushrooms & tomato.
(I would have liked 2 pieces of bacon)Toast and lots of tea or coffee. We had a room at the bottom of the garden, very nice but the heating was not working but the owner did bring down a heater for us as the night was a bit on the cold side. The shower had not a lot of pressure, and we had to have it on full to get any hot water! There was papers if you wanted to read them while having breakfast?? Overall not too bad

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mikeb29, Owner at West Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review and we are really pleased that you appreciated the quality of our breakfasts. The bacon is traditionally smoked, thick cut and usually huge slices! Extra is always available on request!. Regarding our hotel rating, we are in the "small hotel" category and are rated/inspected by the tourist board so that guests can be confident that we are comfortably meeting (and often exceeding) the requirements of a three star hotel. Naturally, the comparison to a B&B is due to the size and the personal supervision of the owners and local staff. We hope guests enjoy the attention to detail and peace and quiet resulting from the exclusive environment of a 19C Rothschild lodge. Very best regards Mike
West Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Good room and service. Clean and tidy. Nice breakfast in the morning with plenty to choose from buffet and also an English breakfast with local woodsmoked sausages and eggs etc. Will stay again when in area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Burton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here on a couple of occasions, both times for business.
I thought I was staying at a B & B but it is run more like a hotel and hence lacks a little of the flexibility I need when working away.
The rooms are clean and tidy, and the beds in the 2 rooms I stayed were comfortable enough.
Showers are not great, lack of water pressure prevents them from being a nice refreshing shower in a morning.
Breakfast is OK, tried a full English first time I stayed, it was very typical but in my opinion a little sparse. (I would expect to have 2 sausages normally on a full English, not 1).
The dining room is laid out for people to sit at their own tables, makes it feel quite clinical. I prefer a communal table or tables, at least you can have a conversation with people if they are at the same table.
I had an evening meal 1 night, and whilst the food was quite good, I thought the price was too expensive.
This place is OK, and may be good for a holiday trip, but it just feels like it's lacking something, although it's hard to put your finger on what it is.

Will struggle to want to stay here again whilst on business, there are better B & B's in the area for the same price or less.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms not in the main house.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mikeb29, Owner at West Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that West Lodge Hotel was not as you expected and that this caused you some disappointment and a little confusion.

We do everything we can to promote our Hotel clearly and this includes accreditation by the tourist board as a three star Small Hotel. In the Small Hotel category, we are expected to offer all the services for our three star rating and it would not be acceptable for guests to share tables (unless they chose to do so!).

Our breakfasts are award winning and consistently rated highly with the emphasis on quality of the ingredients and fresh preparation, along with an extensive buffet table. We have aimed for a well balanced breakfast plate with traditionally smoked thick cut bacon, butchers pork sausage, free range eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms. We always offer guests top ups of tea/coffee/toast and check they have everything they need. We are always able to accommodate variations and extra portions. What a shame we did not know of your desire for an extra sausage (there are never extra charges!).

As a small independent hotel we are able to offer a great deal of flexibility and are usually able to meet most requests. Unfortunately we were not made aware of any particular needs.

We appreciate the feedback and I apologise once again that we were not able to meet your expectations.
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked this hotel due to its convenient location and arrived late due to work commitments, it was raining and dark when I arrived but struggled to park.

I was let in by another guest as the door was locked and then rang the bell for reception, I was greeted by a lady who I presume was the owner and was given some keys and said that the room key and the other is for the front door !!

I was taken out the back of the hotel to what looked like converted stables and shown inside, it looked clean and tidy and returned to collect my belongings from the car only to be locked out and couldn't get back in and had to disturb the owner again by ringing the bell and looked a bit put out!!

The room was indeed warm and clean, the bed was a little firm and the walls were a bit thin as I could hear the couple next door talking quite clearly. The toilet kept filling for water for some reason??

I was disappointed not to be asked if I had eaten or given advise where to eat if they had finished serving, also unsure if they had a bar as I could have done with a drink ..oh well lesson learned.

Breakfast was great and staff friendly and at £69 for the night reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mikeb29, Owner at West Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We really appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback and the opportunity to address any issues which may help us to improve our service.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you felt your arrival was in any way unsatisfactory and that the parking and key system caused you some confusion. There is additional onsite parking along the side of the hotel but I appreciate that guests prefer the front of the hotel particularly when it's raining! By way of explanation, as a small hotel we have found that guests enjoy the additional security of a locked door with key entry, and this is approved by the tourist board at our rating (3* small hotel). We are always staffed to answer the front door for guests but unfortunately the second door you came to was for the private accommodation at the other end of the building. This was the only reason for asking you to meet me back at the front door where you could gain access to the hotel.

It is good to hear that you found the room and breakfast to be of a good standard. We also a offer very good dinner menu on request and room service menu as in the guest handbook. Although there are time constraints, we are very willing to be flexible if at all possible and can accept room service pre- orders for late arrivals. I do apologise that I was unaware of your late requirements and due to the late hour did not enquire further. We have a number of good local pubs and restaurants which are listed in the guest information.

We hope that you will consider returning, booking for dinner and enjoying more of the positive aspects noted by the majority of our reviewers!
Innerleithen, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We've visited West Lodge four times now, and Julie and Mike have made us thoroughly welcome every time. There is a wonderfully homely and old-fashioned feel to the hotel, and at the same time the rooms are bright, spotless and very well-equipped. The full English breakfast was delicious, and accompanied by some of the best coffee I've ever tasted (of course tea is available too), and all served in a conservatory-style dining room with a wonderful view of the garden. We've only visited in the autumn, but even then we've been able to enjoy a profusion of roses as well as a tantalising glimpse of wisteria which must look spectacular in the spring and summer. We learnt that everyone staying the weekend we were there was a repeat visitor, and it's not difficult to see why - we're already planning our next visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

From arrival the friendly helpful reception we had., the room very was comfortable chinzty n quaint very clean. Beautiful settings well kept old english style house n garden. Although we did not spend a lot of time there we wished we had. The breakfast was muliple choice n fresh and nothing was to much touble. We were made to feel welcome x would definately use this hotel again.

(only fault he was an everton supporter) only joking all was fabulous xx

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to West Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!