“Iconic old hotel/restaurant enjoys revival” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Whitchurch
“Iconic old hotel/restaurant enjoys revival”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was always a lovely old building but endured a chequered history in recent years. The pub group that now owns it has done a great job in the restyling saving many lovely features whilst offering a good and spacious blend of bars and restaurant.
Decent menu, not very innovative but safe and reliable. Big bar but not really welcoming and thereby hangs the key, nobody seems in charge. You can wander in and meander around and nobody will great you and ask what you want. Similar to the restaurant , tricky to catch attentiaon from staff who avoid eye contact at all costs.

It does all happen eventualy but you have to work hard for it,
So in summary the ambiance decor and style and the solid food delivers and makes people return despite the service.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Aylesbury, Bucks
“Interseting Menu - Traditional Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went for my birthday. Had a lovely meal, plenty to choose from on the menu, an interesting and eclectic mix, with something for everyone, whether you like fine dining or pie and chips.

Started with cocktails, a great menu to choose from, from sophisticated 'fizz' to longer, more colourful ones. Thoroughly recommended.

I had scallops followed by duck breast, perfectly cooked with a delicious orange sauce. My companions had pate and slow roast pork belly to start with, followed by Gammon and chips and Pie and chips. Fabulous chips! I had to steal one, they looked sooooo good!

In addition there is a very big wine list, which includes some interesting wines. But what I enjoyed most was the 'flight' of Rothschild wines. For a modest £6.00 you could enjoy 50ml each of different whites or reds. I chose the whites, delicious. Then I had a full glass of the wine I liked best. What an excellent idea.

We had a pudding 'sharing plate' For those who love their puds but can't make up your minds, then this is the perfect dish for you! We shared a cheese and biscuits board as well, nice selection of cheeses and a chutney. Perfect end to the meal.

The venue is a quaint 'olde English' inn, complete with springy floorboards. Perfect for entertaining visitors from abroad. A fine example of new 'British' cuisine in a traditional setting.

Service was excellent too. There is an outside eating area, lovely in the summer.

The only reason I'm not awarding an excellent is a number of little things. My cocktail glass was a little sticky where the peach purée for my Bellini had appeared to slop a little. We were a little late dining (finishing at 10.30 pm) and we were not really offered tea and coffee at the end of the meal. They were laying up for breakfast behind us as we finished our desserts, I felt we were rushed out a little.

But apart from that this was a great meal in a lovely setting and good value for money, I would definitely go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Interesting and Varied Menu”

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“1st date lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Had a first date here recently. Very atmospheric and cosy. Welcoming staff and lovely food. Was treated to sharing fish mezze....lovely...bit over praised for 2. Definate return with or with out date!!!! Hope with
Great big car park over the road

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great pub!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic meal here last night the food is brilliant and nothing is too much trouble from the staff. Also came here for Christmas lunch which was very very nice. I have a three year old who we having been taking here for a couple of years and he has been very comfortable here from the first visit. A proper pub restaurant with great genuine character, great food and proper beer!!