“Improving but still a bit chavy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Shoeburyness
Cuisines: British
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
“Improving but still a bit chavy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Four of us ate here on Sunday the 19th and we all enjoyed the meals which we found more than enough. We had to ask for hot plates so had to wait for a few minutes and I am surprised that with the layout hot plates were not available, also after getting our food there was no gravy which we waited for ( glad we waited for the hot plates ). The staff were very friendly but we had kept getting asked by different staff if we wanted deserts, coffee etc... I think they should have designated waiters to tables.

There is still an element of people who drink in the bar who look like they have been in the TV program shameless with the odd ' F ' word in their conversation and crowding round the doors outside smoking.

I and our friends would go again but would not bring children here owing to the swearing and some chaviness.

It would be nice if the restaurant could be closed off a bit more.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Barking, United Kingdom
“Not too sure ! - Nice, but .................................”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were rather aprenhsive about trying this pub, bearing in mind the past history of this establishment, but were pleasently surprised.
Three of us arrived for an early Sunday lunch.
We were immediately shown to our table and after a short wait ordered our drinks.
We then ordered our foood and promptly joined the queue for the Sunday roast.
A nice choice of rare roast beef, turkey and a gammon joint with a good selection of freshly cooked vegetables which included crispy roast potatoes - lovely.
All very nice, no complaints regarding the food.
Perhaps he young waiters could have been more aware that food dropped on the floor by babies in high chairs, (and there were lots) should have been cleared away as soon as possible and not left on the floor for new customers to walk over.
We were of the opinion that it was all very nice, but the waiters although attentive were possibly a bit slow.
We will try again - not too sure when !!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Essex
“Good value, but not a place for "foodies"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The outside looks smart and the indoor decor was ok too. The staff were helpful and my son's odd off-menu request was willingly met. The play area was enclosed and secure.

The food was exceptionally good value. Five of us ate and drank for £60 and the food was ok. Personally I'd prefer to pay more and have better quality. It was the type of food you'd expect in a cheap pub chain.

Vegetarians were not catered for at all - they count fish as vegetarian which of course it isn't. Overall, it was fine and we got what we paid for from friendly staff in pleasant surroundings.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southend on Sea
“Lunch with Mum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have not been in this pub for a long time. I was recommend to go has it is under new management. It was very quiet, but we were given a warm welcome and great service. The menu is not exciting, but the food is presented well and cooked to perfection. What more can you ask for. I will be back again for my Mum and the carvery too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Sadly Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had heard good things about this pub/restaurant and were eager to try its delights. It was a hot sunny day so, we did not mind that we could not sit inside and took a table outside. We both went for the Fish & Chips even though there was a run on "BBQ" food being cooked in the beer garden.

Our food arrived and I was suspicious the fact that my fish was bowed and could stand upright. The fat had been turned up to high so rather than salivate over the delights, I had to crunch my way through the Fish AND the chips which were well done. Fortunately, the portions were not that generous so there wasn't much to crunch through! That was the only saving grace to the meal. This so wasnt worth the £7.50 odd they charged for my dish! After this, I went home and had a sandwich as I was still left hungry :o(

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere