“really enjoyable meal.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Essex, united kingdom
“really enjoyable meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having driven past this pub/restaurant hundreds of times I eventually went in and enjoyed a lovely meal with a friend.
I chose a Beef Ragu speciality of the day and my friend had Scampi/chips and salad. My Ragu was beautiful. I'm a little bit fussy because I don't like any threads of chewy fat in my meat but this beef just melted in my mouth it was very good value at about 7 pounds.
Also the whole decor of the place is very well done. It can be cosy and intimate while also being very busy. It is tastefully modern inside but still in complete harmony with the character of the building, The staff were friendly and helpful without being over the top. Apparently they are doing barbeques during the summer as well.
I'm not sure about all the other facilities available which is why I havn't filled them all in.
I wil definately be going back to this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Just what's needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've been to the Garrison on several occasions now. The new management have worked wonders, the beer's good, the food's good and the Sunday carvery is exceptional. Now the finer weather seems to be on the way let's hope they start putting on BBQ's at weekends!! If they hit the same standards they have with the rest of their food they'll be fantastic

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“No Atmosphere - only the food has changed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

THIS PUB HAS HAD A BAD REPUTATION OVER THE YEARS BUT HEARD RECENTLY THAT IT WAS "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" SO THOUGHT WE WOULD GIVE IT A GO,

We went during the weekin the afternoon (1pm)because even though it's changed management it's still a pub for mainly drinkers and i don't like that enviroment, (ESPECIALLY IF IT'S STILL THE SORT OF UNPLEASANT DRINKERS THAT GAVE THIS PUB ITS BAD REPUTATION PREVIOUSLY).

We ordered our meal with the waiter, drinks arrived pretty quickly, but then the pub wasn't busy as besides us there was only a table of 4 in the whole restaurant, which is why i was a little upset the food order took so long to arrive????? I only ordered the gammon (which came up more like ham) and my partner had the burger so not too difficult to make I thought, but i must say the presentation was lovely which is probably what took the time. No one came to see if we wanted more drinks, so we paid our bill and left.
*OVERALL THE FOOD WAS NICE A LITTLE OVER PRICED

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Post office ladies/gents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have been to the Garrison several times to have somethong to eat and a drink and I am more impressed everytime. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, the food is absolutely wonderful it is proper home cooked food and they are very generous portions. I would recommend everything on the menu, and the sponge pudding is to die for. We have already recommended the Garrison to our family and friends. We give it 10/10. The carvery is very well recommended too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“1st Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have been to the Sunday carvery several times with different friends and everyone has been delighted with the service and the food has been 1st class. The Old Garrison is under new management and what a great job they are all doing. Look no further and give it a try.

• Visited March 2013