“Beautiful and brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Harp Inn

The Harp Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Radnor
The Harp Inn
You added The Harp Inn to your Saves list
Old Radnor LD8 2RH, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Old Radnor B&B and Inns
“Beautiful and brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

The Harp is a Lovely B&B and Pub, the owners Chris and Angela and all of the staff there are very hospitable and make you feel at home. The food is practically fine dining as the chef is award winning, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the building overall has a wonderful history and breath taking views over the Welsh countryside. It is a beautifully simple and well established pub and B&B and I would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone, for couples looking for a romantic retreat of for large families on holiday, this is the place to be.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed here just for two nights and thought the owners Chris and Angela were very friendly, also a lovely lady that helped at breakfast. The breakfast was good quality..proper bacon and sausage from a local butcher and crusty bread which makes a change from the horrible cheap sliced brea we have experienced before. Would recommend a visit especially if you are keen on walking as the views form this place are amazing.

Room Tip: Double room has a bath and a shower ensuite
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Came here twice for dinner. Very friendly bar , good food, service attentive but inexperienced. Old Radnor is a marvellous location with wonderful views. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was looking for somewhere different to hold a suprise 40th birthday party for a group of twelve. After some research I came across the Harp Inn. Prior to the event I visited the pub and spoke with the landlords, Angela and Chris, who are relatively new to the trade. After an inspection I took the five rooms at the pub and a local B&B. Angela said that they were first and foremost a pub serving good food, I asked for an extra fish option on the menu, a cake to be organised and for a specific seating area within the pub which was always going to be a squeeze.
From the moment the guests arrived at the venue they felt relaxed and content. You walk into a lovely bar area with a blazing log fire. Although it was June it was a chilly day. The beer was good and people had to be ushered to their rooms to get ready for the evening as they were enjoying the atmosphere too much.
Once the evening began Angela and Chris did everything they could to ensure the evening went well. The food was good and the cake was excellent. At the end of the evening all of our guests joined in with the locals drinking in the bar.
The rooms were warm and comfortable, some having lovely views over the valley. Breakfast was arranged for 9.30 and was just what we needed, good thick bacon and sausage and excellent local bread that made wonderful toast.
Try it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Friendly hardworking people who deserve to do well in this lovely place. The rooms were fine - the front has great views and the bathroom across the landing had everything - a view, fluffy white towels, plenty of hotwater and was immaculately clean. Our evening meal we all agreed was perfect - good portion sizes and the standard of ingredients, preparation and presentation were of a very high standard. Wine resonably priced and all in all a great stay. Niggles? Could follow through the high standards at breakfast and ditch the packeted marmalade etc in exchange for local products (same with bath goodies).

Room Tip: Go for Room 1
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I can only comment on the food as we didn't stay here, yet!

I have to disagree with the review below, sorry! My boyfriend and I were on our way back from visiting friends in Wales and were looking for somewhere to stop for lunch. We saw the sign and decided to give it a go. What we found was teh most beautifulyl positioned pub I have ever seen. Situated at the top of a hill, next to lovely old church and facing a stunning view, this pub is very impressive at first sight.

We went inside to a very busy pub, crammed full of character and charm. There appeared to be a good mix of locals and tourists in the pub. A log fire was burning, despite it being a sunny day, which gave a wonderful feeling of welcome as it was a little blowy outside!

The barman was very friendly and showed us the menu on the blackboards. All mains were £11, starters were about £5 to £6 and I believe the desserts were similar in price to the starters. My boyfriend and I both chose the slow roasted shoulder of lamb, and to drink , I had a locally pressed apple juice and the boyfriend had an ale which I gather was rather nice!

The food arrived promptly, was delicious and utterly unpretentious, just good home-cooked grub; no delicate drizzling of grazy or artfully presented cabbage. We only had main courses and were too full for dessert so, again, I have to disagree with previous reviews. The yorkshire wasn't great, a little thick and overcooked, but a tiny complaint!

The mens' loo is outside which I guess isn't perfect, but it's a 15th century country pub and that's just what I love about The Harp. We liked it so much that we're planning to go back to stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Leominster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

The Harp is in a beautiful location in the heart of Radnorshire - sat on top of a hill next to a church and enjoying lovely views across the Welsh countryside (when it's not raining at least). The place is quaint, and the staff all very helpful and friendly. I cannot comment on the Harp as a hotel, but purely as an eating establishment (having been there a few times). Generally the food is actually quite good, and nicely presented, but it represents poor value for money considering the portion sizes. Average starter £5 - £6, main course £13 - £16 and £5 - £7 puddings. The one thing I would strongly advise you to steer well clear of is the goats cheese - without pulling any punches, it tasted like vomit - I have never actually had anything in my mouth that tasted so disgusting unless it had come back up from inside me. Oh - and don't sit to the left of the door, or you'll enjoy an icy blast every time it opens - not nice in winter or when there's a storm raging outside.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Harp Inn? Share your experiences!