“Nice atmosphere, food a bit basic” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Buck House Hotel to your Saves list
Buck House Hotel
Buck House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   High Street, Bangor On Dee, Wrexham LL13 0BU, Wales   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere, food a bit basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We popped in for a family meal as the kids wanted to see the teapots ( see a previous review ). It was busy - the races had been on - so we were directed to a large restaurant area at the back.
Choice of food was as expected, service was prompt and the portions were large, just a shame it was overcooked and not particularly nice!
Other members of our party had been previously and had no complaints, so I can only assume it was due to the number of people that night.
Needless to say we ate further up the road, the next evening.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we arrived very late on a friday night and were greeted by a friendly bar man who when we rang to say we were running late asked if we would like a sandwich making up for us when we did arrive,we declined as it would have been way to late to eat.the next morning myself my partner and my 2 year old grandson went for breakfast we were greeted by a very friendly lady who asked us what we wanted to eat,then she checked we were happy with what we had making sure everything was satisfactory which it was.The shower was loose so i reported this and it was rectified by the time we came back that night.On our second morning it was the same we booked into the restaurant that night and the meal was satisfactory .we would stop again as it was value for money .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Booked through hotel.com, where it had a 4.5 overall rating. I wonder if I stayed in the same place! I arrived late, driving from Kent and being stuck on the M 25, and asked if a meal was available. I was told that service stopped at 9pm. When I asked if there was anywhere else to eat in the village a table was suddenly found! The door leading to the hotel rooms was kept locked, for insurance reasons, meaning you have to access the stairs via either the door from the car park or through the bar. Either way there is a very narrow corridor to navigate. Lights come on automatically, but unfortunately a little late, a little dangerous when coming down stairs.
I was in a room with a view over the very pretty church. The church clock striking was lovely, to begin with. Unfortunately it continued through the night, on every hour and quarter hour. With the window open it was disturbingly loud and I’m not a light sleeper. The room was very small and the bathroom even smaller. The towel rail was broken and there was only 1 loo roll. The shower is electric. It took ages to come warm and the temperature varied depending on whether other people were running water. The room was quite dated and although clean wasn’t very inviting, the door had to be really shoved to open. On Saturday night the noise from downstairs was unacceptably loud.
The bed was comfortable enough.
The Menu was acceptable. Breakfast was no more than average. One day came with black pudding and mushrooms, another day without. Unexpectedly it came with beautifully poached eggs! Yes, in one bar there are very, very many teapots! The decor is very dated; the ceiling in the main restaurant should be a listed version of 1970’s kitch!
Whether linked to the food or not I was quite ill one night.
After the rather unfriendly welcome on the Friday night the staff were friendly and chatty.
I need somewhere to stay while visting my Father, who is now in a local nursing home. This is always a stressful time and I want somewhere where I can relax for a few nights. Buck House wasn’t the place for me.
I feel that £60 a night was rather a lot compared to other hotels I’ve stayed at when dad was in another home.
I’m afraid Buck House will not be getting my repeat custom.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Unique....
Teapots galore.
( hung from the ceiling and in cabinets )
1200,
only one the same.( spot the one ),
We turned up very early.
All the staff were so welcoming
.It was one of the busiest days of the Bangor racing year.
Room was average,
Breakfast was lovely.
especially the sausages.
(The hardest place l have had to rate.)
Facilities 6/10
Staff; 10/10
Location; lovely.

Room Tip: l am sure if you avoid race days, you will have an even nicer experiance