“Good accommodation, scuba diving offering a disappointment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Agulhas House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Umkomaas
Agulhas House
You added Agulhas House to your Saves list
30 Barrow Road, Umkomaas 4170, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Umkomaas B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good accommodation, scuba diving offering a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was presented with old rental gear and the PADI course was lacking - felt cheated. The selection of dive site presented as a choice to the group but the instructor always end up picking regardless. Agulhas house has good & clean accommodation but it is not worth when your dive experience turns sour.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I turned up with minutes to go before the boat was due to leave (I had booked a dive with blue vision, who turned out to be badly managed with dodgy equipment and a baked dive master!). Agulhas staff were accommodating sorting me out with equipment and paperwork quickly so that I could join the group.

As a visitor from the Caribbean where I dive a lot and regularly I couldn't help but notice a few things were slack. I rented all my equipment and when I asked 'what about a computer?' The response was 'yeah you can use one if you like.' I'm being perfectionist I know, but there was no mention of computers or tables or indeed safety stops in the briefing. Only me when I informed my buddy of the hand signals I would likely use as and when.

I felt at times there was a little too much assumption that if you've dived, you'll know how their operation works, so I found myself at times having to ask stupid questions and being left in a bit of a whirl. Again coming from the other side of the Atlantic where it's feet and Psi, the group positively laughed at me when I asked for a rundown on bar and the associated hand signals, which incidentally are totally different to what I am used to doing.

If you aren't used to a rough ride on a rubber ducky then think hard about diving in this area, the 15 minute journey to the dive site took the skin off my knuckles and once in the water it was every man for himself. The current was strong and it took a while for me to get my groove. However, all in it was a beautiful dive.

Diving in this area compared to the Caribe is hardcore. When they say there's a current they mean it. I had an enjoyable experience, but it could have been a whole lot less confusing with a better briefing both before and after the dive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I came here for a weekend diving with friends and I loved the place!

I was very impressed at the high level of service, a very professional team who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

I big thank you to Mickey (who ensures everything is running smoothly) Vegard & Brett (the DM's we went with who know the reef very well and are excellent to dive with) Ant (the skipper who seems to navigate anything the ocean throws at him with ease) & everybody in the team who made our stay so enjoyable, including the very friendly and helpful cleaning, cooking and carrying staff.

Highly Recommended!

Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My son and I have just completed a brilliant adventure holiday at this well-situated diving resort south of Durban near the spectacular Aliwal Shoal. As anxious near novices - this was our first dive in an ocean - our laid-back instructor Vegard did much to make our Adventure Diving Course an experience we will long remember with pleasure. Skipper Ant steered our rib expertly through the surf to our dive sites. And proprietor Mickey did much to ensure our comfort, especially with his early morning coffee an cake and the bacon and eggs awaiting out return, exhausted but exhilarated, from our first dive of the day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went away on a diving trip weekend at Agulhas house, they were very accommodating, helpful and had excellent service. The dive masters were all fantastic, and the skipper was amazing. We had fresh muffins and OJ every morning, and then bacon and eggs after dives - really so helpful and affordable. They really care about their customers individually and cater to everyone's needs. I highly recommend them :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As probably confirmed by the ever-mounting awesome reviews, its pretty obvious to see that this is THEE place to stay at and dive with!

Mickey and his team (Anthony the skipper, both divemasters Vegard and Brett, and the many behind-the-scenes people that all work together to make the stay so pleasurable) all deserve the accolades they have been given. The rooms far exceed what you should be getting for the price you pay (yes, you spoilt guest you). The friendliness and sense of humour of the staff are amazing. The pool area is a welcoming asset after a dive to wind down at and chat about who saw what during the dive.

So stop reading these reviews, book yourself into this amazing guest lodge and experience all this for yourself! you will NOT regret it!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The rooms are modern clean and large. The staff are so helpful and facilities are top notch. We rarely get to dive wherever we want at other dive centers but at agulhas we were accomodated in every dive by a great skipper and very knowledgeable dive masters. Food was amazing. Huge breakfasts waiting for you after a dive.
Couldnt find a single fault. Just amazing and awesome people

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Agulhas House? Share your experiences!