“lovley B&B for couples” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Park Guest House

Ocean Park Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Umkomaas
Ocean Park Guest House
You added Ocean Park Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   No 12 Robinson Street, Umkomaas 4170, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Umkomaas B&B and Inns
Houston, United States
“lovley B&B for couples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

stayed there in 2008. beautiful B&B for couples. room quality was good. location was good and security wasok.
the manager was a pleasent lady called Lana Pollock.
really enjoyed the breafast prepared by some of the local ladies.
you need a rental car if you want to stay in this hotel. remember they drive on the wrong side in South Africa :-)

Room Tip: you need a rental car if you want to stay in this hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Langebaan, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Under the leading supervision of Lana, the staff really made us feel at home away from home. We really enjoyed a Braai at the sparkling clean pool after weeks on the road. The menu and service was way above expectation.

• Stayed November 2013
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Good place for weekend away. Not sure about a long stay because the area does not have much activities. The rooms were clean and spacious. It was quite private. The room is just a single room with a bar fridge and a bathroom. Eating out is basically a must. The food at the guest house is amazing! It was some of the best food I have ever eaten. The guest house has a small putting green which is quite fun. There isn't much restaurants around and the area seemed a bit dangerous because many locals warned us not to be out late. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I arrived to umkomaas for diving, as I didn't want to miss this diving opportunity in my visit to South Africa. The problem was the personal security. I was told this is not a place for a lonely woman traveller. Gaynor at Ocean Park have treated me with exceptional help to ensure I am safe. She was ready to drop me off and pick me up from anywhere I wanted to go, for lunch or dinner for example. She even took me to the market for buying some staff. She arranged that the working ladies will arrive one hour earlier every day so that I can have proper breakfast before my morning dives. She rally took care of everything for me. This is on the top of very nice room, super clean, comfortable and spacious. The room is cleaned every day, includes aircon, free coffee and tea. There is a nice pool which I didn't use but definitely enjoyed sitting under the sun around it. It is peaceful nice place. If you have a car I would definitely recommend, if you are traveling without a car than you will be happily helped as I was, you just need to ask for it before you get here.

• Stayed October 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here for a week on our scuba trip to Aliwal Shoal.

Rooms
are spacious, clean and functional. There is airco and heating. Good curtains that will keep the room dark untill well after sunrise. and also free DSTV, minibar, sofa and a small desk. There are no free plugs and/or european connectors for charging your phone etc. so bring your own or pick one up from the local Spar for 35 rand.

Financials
Lana requires payment up front and takes no american express cards. my european maestro card was accepted without a hitch.

Internet and Mobile
the Wifi connection provided by the guesthouse is crap. bad reception, very (!) limited bandwidth, time out errors, down for several days. Forget about up/downloading pictures to facebook, If you really need a connection, this is a bit of an issue since none of the local bars provide wifi. and the mobile data rates in SA are quite high (euro 2.40 / mb at Vodafone). Mobile reception is perfect with 5 bars all the time.

Parking
Spacious parking, and, if you are lucky like us, the gardener will give your car a free cleanup

Location
is practical (if you have a car). walking after dark (1830) is not recommended. Downtown is 500m away. The highway is a 5 minute drive.

Breakfast
is fantastic. Normally served from 0700 onwards, the cook adapted to our scuba schedule and did a 5-star performance every morning at 0630. Delicious scrambled eggs, warm muffins, fruits, yoghurt, .... you name it.

Pool
is freezing (in early spring) and quite small. But nice to sit beside it and catch the last afternoon rays of sun. The garden has many trees with colourful flowers and is nicely kept.

De hotel manager is extremely nice and forthcoming. Feels like coming home every day.

Room Tip: room #2 is the best. Corner room with windows on two sides, far away from kitchen (and early morning...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
wallington England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this guesthouse for 4 nights, we stayed in rooms 8 and 9, which are very small, but comfortable and well equipped, with TV with DSTV channels, a fridge with mini bar, a kettle and tea/coffee making facilities, and a very small but adequate shower room. The bed was a double and although a little hard for my liking, not too bad. It was very clean and the maid was excellent, although did tend to hide things in drawers and put things away for you. But there is a big but coming, these rooms were situated next to the living quarters of Lana, the live in Manager, who has a three year old child, my room was directly next door to hers, and one morning I was woken at 04.30 by her child crying, also they tended to be up and outside there room which was directly outside my window by 7am, which I found very annoying, as I'm usually a late sleeper, these rooms are also backing onto a very busy road, which was very noisy in the early hours of the morning, and late at night. I didnt get a good nights sleep for all the time I was there,
Lana also had friends over, who sat outside her room, drinking and smoking, and with my window open, I could clearly smell the smoke. Lana would also smoke out there.
The breakfasts were excellent, the cook was a brilliant egg maker, and very nice. The pool was incredibly cold, I don't mind a cold pool, but it was very off putting, being cold, and a little messy, with plants and insects floating in it.
The beach was a good walk away, about 1km and you definately wouldn't want to be walking around after dark.
There was a large car park, and the premises were protected by electric fencing, but this didn't stop a car being broken into overnight on the Saturday, the window was smashed and the GPS stolen, there were several other cars in the car park that night, but that was the only one broken into, and it was a small hire car.
I found the beach at Umkomaas not very nice, it was very sloping and the ocean was rough, not at all child friendly. Umkomass itself was miserable. The only bright spot was a restaurant called Sebastians, which was excellent. Great food, atmosphere, and service.
All in all I would not return to Umkomaas, or this guesthouse. Although the rooms in the main house, did seem much nicer, just make sure you don't get 8 or 9.
I have to also state that Lana the Manager was very very nice, she was very friendly, and would go out of her way to help you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Annemasse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Lana's place is quite charming, the rooms comfortable and well decorated, the pool is very nice, the landscaping quite lovely. Concerning the honeymoon suite review, I'll say that our tyin room had a great walk in shower.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Park Guest House? Share your experiences!