“Very bad way to start our trip” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Rural el Real de Siota to your Saves list
Hotel Rural el Real de Siota
Mayor, 91, 26240 Castanares de Rioja, Spain   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very bad way to start our trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wish someone had put a realistic review of this hotel on here as I pick my hotels by reviews among other things. This was the first of 5 places we stayed in on our trip around La Rioja. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at (never mind just on this trip). We speak enough Spanish to get around and really did not have any issues anywhere else on our journey. I did not know who was in charge, no one would talk to us, we were told to wait in the bar with our luggage as we were looked at up and down by everyone who worked there, and no one offered to help - no one could understand anything we were asking (I am quite sure we were being messed with by the "hotel staff" if you can even call them that because another guest came in and could understand perfectly what we were asking for). they were extremely unwelcoming, unfriendly and I was very uncomfortable the entire time I was there. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - ever. I was extremely disappointed as this was the first night on our trip - thank goodness this was the only bad experience we had. There were three of us - we all had the same feeling and experience here. Also - the bar is VERY noisy so if you are looking to sleep - good luck!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at this small "casa rural" in Castanares, La Rioja for three nights in October 2011. The proprietor speaks English, but his wife does not. The place had seven lovely rooms and baths in an old building right on the road. Everything was simple, tasteful and immaculately clean. The third floor had an open area for reading with good lighting and lots of skylights. I believe it is used for breakfast in the summer. Since there was little or no traffic, the location on the road was not a problem. On the ground floor is a bar with excellent tapas owned by the same family. The bar can get noisy, but I always travel with ear plugs in Spain so that wasn't a problem either. The room was reasonably priced and included a hearty breakfast.

The bar has a lovely outside area with a big olive tree and grape vines.

One night I wanted a recommendation to a local restaurant and Enrique, barman and owner, asked the whole bar to participate. It was great fun and one of the patrons even made the calls to the restaurants for me.

There is little or nothing in Castanares, but the location is great for traveling La Rioja. It is a few kilometers to the Monastery of Santo Domingo de la Calzada and a few in the other direction to the excellent Wine Museum in Briones.

Our only complaint was that the paella meal we had at 30 euros per person was excessive. We had much better paella at a lesser price in other places.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

This small hotel is run by a delightful Spanish couple, who cannot do enough to make your stay relaxing and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and cool, with a breakfast room on the top floor and a garden area where lunch can be taken. Very popular with local village people, this offers a real view of rural Spanish life, yet is very convenient for tours of the Rioja wineries etc.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rural el Real de Siota? Share your experiences!