“Great location and hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho Cecilia Nicaragua

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Maderas
Rancho Cecilia Nicaragua
You added Rancho Cecilia Nicaragua to your Saves list
Las Marias, Playa Maderas, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Playa Maderas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carlsbad, California
“Great location and hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent a week with Scott and Liz in the casita, the one bd room house in the west side of the property. Even before we arrived Liz reached out to us to ask if she could grab groceries so they would be there when we arrived, very cool. Everything in Nic is a driving distance and the roads are pretty rugged, but that for us, was part of the fun.

Liz and Scott are both extremely welcoming hosts that do their utmost to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. Of course this was a surf trip, and they are ready to surf when ever and as often as you want to go.. what a great way to share the stoke.

Our week there was spent surfing, enjoying Liz's delicious cooking, drinking beer and sitting in hammocks.. really couldn't ask for more.

strongly recommend if you are planning a trip to Nic that you stay with those guy, we will be back

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We got back from our vacation at Rancho Cecilia a couple of weeks ago and are still missing it. Liz and Scott were amazing hosts.The casita is really comfortable and stocked with everything you need. Plus Liz will stock it with groceries for you if you send her your list before your arrival.
The entire place is off the grid which is pretty awesome. It does mean parting with some creature comforts like a/c and hot water but it grows on you when you feel the hillside breeze each night (which depending on when youre there may be much more than a breeze) and wake up to the sound of howler monkeys. Honestly, it's very refreshing embracing a simpler life. Also, something that I learned while I was there, is that places that do have a/c have tiny windows to keep in the cool air. This is fine except that black outs are common in that area and then you are left with no a/c in a room with tiny little windows that can't catch the cool outside breezes.
In terms of surfing, this is the place to stay. Traveling with boards nowadays can be a nightmare, and usually rentals are subpar. At Rancho Cecilia they have an amazing quiver of boards that you can choose from for a really fair price. Also, Liz and Scott surf everyday so they know each break really well, and can tell you when is the best time to go and where to paddle out. They'll probably be out there with you. Overall, I would highly recommend Rancho Cecilia for your stay in San Juan Del Sur. I am already trying to figure out when I can go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

Liz and Scott are wonderful to stay with. They taught us to surf, were flexible around whatever we wanted to do, were fun hosts, and helped arrange transportation and activities if we wanted. I have food allergies and they were awesome at remembering what I could and couldn't eat and helping me with that. The nearby beach is awesome - we surfed, body boarded, swam, etc. They gave awesome surf lessons and were available to take us and equipment to the beach whenever we wanted to head down there, and usually went surfing with us. Liz and Scott are flexible and helpful with transportation, however if you're renting your own car I would recommend getting 4-wheel-drive. The location is a bit remote, and our 2WD rental made going in and out of town slow. 4WD would solve that. This casita was fantastic. Very clean and peaceful place, charcoal grill on the back porch, coffee and fresh tortillas were waiting for us, fresh herbs growing on the porch and we could pick tomatoes and peppers from their garden when we wanted to cook. There weren't any mosquitoes at the casita which was a plus and every night we fell asleep to crickets and woke up to birds chirping. This place was an awesome pick for our vacation and we had an excellent time. Liz even took photos while we were there and emailed them to us later. I would definitely recommend the casita to others. And a huge thank you to Liz and Scott for their hospitality!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This was the second time I was staying at Liz and Scott's in less than a year. This tells you how much I love the place AND the surf there... Another full week of consistent great surf, kindness, good food, relaxation and dog love (there are adorable 3 dogs there, and 2 cats). This place is great for couples and for solo travelers, I could not recommend this pace more warmly...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Lovely accommodations, great service and amazing pizza close by...run by a super sweet couple who know all about the area - great surf tips - and were always spot on. Loved this place.

Ben & Brigitte

P.S. I'm a slightly better surfer. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

This was exactly as I had hoped. Liz and Scott are dialed in. They helped me with the logistics of getting to the Casita (I took a shuttle) and arranged for a shuttle back to Managua. This made logistics easy and it was a load off my mind. The Casita is very clean and comfortable; I spent a lot of time in the Hammock. I got a ride to and from the beach everyday - again...easy logistics which allows one to focus on the fun! I cooked my own food with some of the vegetable from the garden every day...delicious! Overall this was an amazing time and I am so thankful to Scott and Liz for providing such a fantastic set-up...if you want a comfortable casita with access to beautiful uncrowded beaches and easy logistics - this is your place. Thank you so much Rancho Cecilia.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Scott and Liz have an amazing set-up a couple minutes drive from the Beach- it is walkable but they were always keen to run us out to the beach- even for a dawn surf session on Christmas day!

They are so tuned into the local spots and conditions that if you are trying to find the best waves- all you have to do is get in the truck!

The cabin is super comfortable and quiet- unless the monkeys drop by- and its equipped with all the amenities that you can easily cook for yourself or have excellent meals prepared for you if you're too busy having fun.

If you are looking for the perfect Nicaraguan port of call, base yourself here. The service is great and Scott and Liz will either help you get the most out of your vacation or give you the tools and freedom to sort it out for yourself.

If only traveling everywhere was this easy and comfortable!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho Cecilia Nicaragua? Share your experiences!