First off: forget "value". It has no meaning at this level; all is in the eye of the beholder. Ynyshir is a refurbished very old farmhouse owned at one time by Queen Victoria. We were quite thrilled to be staying in her Wales hideaway (with Mr. Brown?) looking over a beautiful approach and garden with huge trees Vickie herself planted. We enjoyed the best room of nine in the house, the Matisse, at about 400 pounds a night, including breakfast. The entire house is decorated avant garde with bold colors everywhere as designed by the talented owner/artist. His paintings adorn every wall. His palette is almost entirely dark blue along with red. Subjects, almost entirely of sheep, are structured in yellow and white. Our room, fittingly, had a well done large painting by the owner of a nude on a Matisse derivative many-patterned bed covering.
Our room had a large attractive sitting area and a great (for the UK) bath with a stall shower.
The restaurant is excellent but a Michelin star is not in the cards until the chef subdues his reach for the salt-shaker. Service by all staff was excellent and friendly.
Other than a worthwhile half-day to walk the paths of the adjacent bird sanctuary, there are no nearby tourist attractions of note. The two nearby beach towns are of no interest. Don't bother with the Center for Alternative Technology, a memorial to 1960's hippie economics. You heard it all years ago.
- Also Known As:
- Ynyshir Hall Hotel
- Ynyshir Hall Hotel Eglwys Fach
- Ynyshir Hall Machynlleth
- Ynyshir Hall Hotel Machynlleth
- Hall Ynyshir
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The elegant candle-lit restaurant sparkles with its crystal glassware and polished cutlery. Its calm atmosphere against a scenic backdrop make it a very soothing room to enjoy the pleasures of the fine food. Our chef, Gareth Ward is one of Britain's rising stars. Formerly of Sat Bains in Nottingham and Hambleton Hall, he and his enthusiastic young team are dedicated to producing the best of Modern British Cuisine. They have a wealth of superb local ingredients to work with - Cardigan Bay teems with succulent seafood - There is wild salmon in the local rivers - There is Venison and Game in abundance - Welsh Black Beef is second to none - and of course we have tender sweet Welsh Mountain Lamb. The surrounding area is so unpolluted it is the perfect location for foraging the wonderful wild food available to us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Ynyshir Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.