“Relaxing and Welcoming” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clarence Town
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Relaxing and Welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My hubby and I stayed at the Gems in February 2014 and were pleasantly surprised to find how quiet this place was. We were in town for a dive class, and stayed at the Gems for 8 nights. It was a very relaxing and welcoming experience; Hance made us feel more like special guests in his home than customers at a hotel.

Our room was very well decorated, and I liked the bath products provided. We had a great view and our own balcony with steps to a path leading to the beach. We actually ended up being the only guests on a couple days of our stay, and basically had the beach to ourselves. While snorkeling, we even saw a couple sting rays!

Sandy's cooking is as legendary as the other reviews say, and I highly recommend her curried mutton for dinner. It was awesome.

This was a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi DizzyViv C, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased your trip was relaxing and that Hance and the ladies were able to make it special for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had the place to ourselves for our stay. Hance was wonderful and the food was great, Sandy is an excellent chef. We travel the Caribbean often and have never seen such a beautiful island and beaches as we did on this Island, everyone is so friendly. We rented a car (SUV) and went all over the island. It was gorgeous. I am not going to give away where the best spots are on the island, you will have to find them for yourself. It will be worth it.

We will be back next year and hopefully will get our same room, it had an awesome view. Hopefully Domino will remember us.

See you next year Hance!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hi Dawn D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Gems experience and the complimentary words on our service, accommodations and food. The hint to visit to discover the many gems of Long Island was great. Domino will certainly remember your loving attention and Hance, Sandy and team will look forward to your next stay.
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The room you see on tripadviser with the red bed spread was our room. Oh, the views, the owners, the facilities. And! Outside this resort. The island and it's residence itself. Just down home good old folks everywhere you go. And I mean everywhere from the far south to the north end of the island. Everybody is a little shy before they get to know you. No different then you would be meeting new people. But once they know you and you know them. You will feel like you went home for Christmas and mom was waiting for you to pull in the driveway. So much to do and see. If you like a Norman Rockewell holiday experience. Don't pass this one up. Do a lot of research. We did. But don't pass this place up. Hance we miss you, Frank and Janet. PS., use BahamaGo.com works like a charm.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Hi Fobn(F&J),

Thank you for taking the time to share your Gems experience. We're so pleased you had the "best time of your life" and describe your Gems experience like a Norman Rockewell holiday. Hance really misses your chats and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Wainwright, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

our stay was beyond words , Hance will go out of his way to help you find anything you want to do or hidden beaches to snorkle , swim or just soak up the beautiful island breeze.
If you are looking for a resort that offers all the perks of an all inclusive then my advise is to stay away from here or even Long Island for that matter.
A holiday experience in the out islands in the Bahamas is one for someone who wants to get away and just turn the key off and throw it away for a while , the beaches , the water , the food , and most of all the people draw you back here time after time and you never get tired of it , it is a special place and Gems at Paradise is just another "Gem" to find on this beautiful island.
If you like to explore and give up a life style of being catered to then I challenge you to take a trip to Long Island and stay at Gems , bring your snorkle stuff , jump in the kayak and go around the corner and swim with the turtles and rays all with in a stone throw of the quiet hammocks at Gems.
Then rent a vehicle and travel from one end to the other and discover a breath taking beach at the end of a rocky dirt road and chances are you will be the only one there all day.
Let The wonderful ,beautiful people at the Gems show you what they can offer or do for you and I will bet you can't wait to book for next year, I know we are .
To all at the Gems thank you for making our visit what it was ....and Sandi you are the best cook on the Island !!!!!!! :)
Terry and Shauna . Alberta Can.

Room Tip: any of the rooms are have great views , we stayed in # 5 and was awesome . watched sunrises in bed...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi Terry E, Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing that your stay was beyond words. The accolades for Hance who goes out of his way to make guests' vacation experience superb ,Sandy as the best cook on the island and the rest of the Gems team is greatly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Great value for money. Clean, friendly service. Second time staying here and we always love it. We appreciated having the kitchen, which allowed us to make breakfast every morning
Very accessible and conveniently located to Clarence town and beaches

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for coming back yet again and taking the time to commend Gems at Paradise for our excellent service! See you soon.
Toronto,Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Pros: service and accommodation quality & genuine hospitality, view/beaches, tranquility, food, safety
Cons: damn sand flies

Perhaps a bit subjective but this was my best vacation ever, felt almost unreal or a dream coming true. And that stands true even though we missed the first day (lost a connecting flight) and got riddled by the sand flies on the last day.

What is more objective (or maybe not :)) is that the island and this little resort is just what I would use to explain someone the word beautiful. To enjoy such a place you also need hospitality and that’s where Shavonne and Hance come into the picture. I can’t thank them enough for the level of service and help we received, from the second we established contact to the morning we left the island. That includes helping us all through that first day, when we missed our connection. The airline didn’t even bother to tell us we could connect the next day when we realized us the flight left. Shavonne made the calls and booked us for the next morning and also helped us find a hotel for the night. When I got dumped by the resort where I was supposed to do my open water dives (for a PADI) certification, Shavonne found a solution for me that worked even better. Hance was there on the first day to give us a “tutorial” on the island, places to visit etc, made sure we got everything we need. The list goes on and on. But best of all, all the help and warm welcome felt genuine.

Now, about the actual stay. I was there with my wife and my 12 year old son. I am not a very experience traveler, even though the reviews were great, I was just hoping for a decent looking beach, hopefully big enough and not too crowded a clean room and of course decent food. Oh boy, sometimes it pays so much to lower your expectations :). Because when you hit great, it is great ten fold.

The resort - very clean/tidy, stunning views of the ocean and nice green space and gardens;
The view from the room: just breathtaking; I had tears in my eyes the first day I saw that view … I think the second day as well :)

Maybe we just got lucky or maybe the island is not the most popular with tourists, but most times we were alone at the little beach from the resort and the beaches we visited on the island - perfect because that is what I dreamt of. It felt strange when other people arrived, they were intruders on my beach :).

The food is very good, a cook would come in the morning and evening to prepare our meals - most times just for us. The only miss I would mention here was the steak I tried once, but not the way it was cooked, just that the actual cut was … not up to par. Everything local (conch/fish) was delicious imho.

To be fair in the review … at last but certainly not at least, watch out for the sandflies. I mean it. My understanding is that If there is no breeze, the bugs are out … . Mosquitos are some sad joke compared to these little bastards. During our stay they were coming out close to sunset, except the last day when there was no wind. If you are immune to the bites, lucky you, otherwise you need to take precautions. I just wish someone had warned us.

I will do my best to visit the island again. When I do, it will be at Gems.

Cheers
Cristian

Room Tip: under the dining area
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you GlbWarming, for sharing your family's experience at Gems and highlighting the many pros-service and quality accommodations & genuine hospitality, the tears of joy on our unbelievably breathtaking view, beautiful beach and beaches of Long Island, tranquility, food, and safety as well as the unfortunate mar to the tropics; no-see-umps or sand flies. It can go for months with no evidence of them but given a combination of weather conditions and if shared precautions are not closely followed they can be a nuisance. I trust your next trip they will be on vacation and that you can spend the entire trip start to finish enjoying the beautiful natural surroundings!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I loved our stay at Gems. Room 9 was great - spacious, clean, and airy. We appreciated having the kitchen, which allowed us to make breakfast every morning. (We stocked the fridge with provisions from True Value grocery - it's close by and the owner Mr. Pratt is very kind and helpful.) Gems also sells water, beer and snacks at a fair price.

Hance clearly loves having guests - he brought us delicious papaya from his trees, was there immediately when we locked ourselves out (sorry!), and directed us to beautiful beaches.

We chose Long Island because of the bonefishing - my boyfriend spent one instructive, successful day with a guide: Ken at Eagle Eyes Bonefishing in Glinton.

The island itself is worth the effort to reach. We snorkeled in clear blue water, laid on sugar sand beaches, had amazing fish and conch tacos at the Outer Edge Grill. The beaches were stunning and so quiet - we were often the only people on the beach. We borrowed the double kayak from Gems and paddled to a number of nearby islands - perfect for sun, snorkeling and shelling.

A car is a must - Shavonne helped us rent a car from Unique Wheels before we got to the island and they met us at the airport. You really need a car. Gems has a pretty beach but there is much more to see.

We'll be back! Have a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 - it has a balcony and a great view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gems P, Owner at Gems At Paradise Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear TigerLily, Thank you for taking the time to write a review and describing Gems as a perfect sun run emphasising the great beaches and fishing on the island. Don't apologise for the key...it was our pleasure to serve you and we are glad your vacation was super and look forward to your next visit!

Been to Gems At Paradise Resort? Share your experiences!