“Unacceptable treatment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 48 Morzine B&B and Inns
england
“Unacceptable treatment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I recently stayed at Chalet d’amo with my boyfriend for five days in February half term. When we arrived at the chalet, the hosts had no record of our booking, however they were very accommodating and we got my requested room. However, in the middle of our stay, the hosts informed us that the chalet had being over booking and we would have to move rooms. Naturally, we presumed that due to this inconvenience, we would be upgraded and the chalet host informed us that the room had double bed; the room we booked had twin beds. However, we soon discovered that the room we were being moved into was in fact one of the chalet hosts bedrooms that had been converted into a guest room due to the over booking. Thus, the room was very basic with a double futon on the floor and a shabby set of draws with an old rug on the floor. Our inconvenience from the owners overbooking the chalet also affected us the following morning when we went down to breakfast and there wasn’t enough chairs around the table, so we had to have our breakfast half an hour later, thus we missed our bus into the centre of Morzine. My boyfriend and I are in out late teens, I believe that our treatment was due to the fact we were a younger couple. I don’t believe that an older couple would have been treated in the same manner, which was proven in the fact that a family who were staying in the chalet the same time as us were moved to a hotel due to the overbooking.

When we returned to England, I emailed the chalet owner to voice my complaint about the overbooking, requesting some compensation. Not only did I fail to receive compensation but I also failed to receive a reply from the owner, behaviour that I find unacceptable.

Due to these reasons I would not recommend this chalet to anyone and would never return to chalet d’amo.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
southwest UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Chalet d' Amo offers is good value, economy, half-board bolt hole a few miles from Morzine. It is a little cramped, doesn't offer much communal space and the hospitality is well meaning if slightly eccentric. What it doesent offer is a high-end catered chalet experience close to the piste. The high points are the informal friendliness and flexibility of the hosts, the filling (inclusive) breakfasts and high quality (not inclusive) dinners (if requested in advance), proximity to a decent characterful pizzeria, and good auberge and if you like friendly dogs you are in luck. The lows : a lottery whether you have a cramped or a decent room, cheap furnishing in the bedrooms, little communal space other than breakfast/dining area, no drying room or washing machine (although the hosts will try and sort something out), no in-house bar facility and if you dont have a car then a 2/3 mile walk to the free bus to Morzine town and the piste or a 400 yard walk to the less regular pay bus which could be a problem if you carry your own ski-kit or have small kids.
It would also be nice if the wood-burner was occasionally lit ! Nonetheless, if you want to get to the slopes on a budget, dont have small kids and arent on a status-kick then this could work fine. For accurate information on the booking it's advisable to talk to the people running the chalet in Morzine, rather than the English partner (Nigel) who over-sells. In town, Michel Gravier is the place to hire skis - near the Pleny gondola.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Chalet d'Amo? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Chalet d'Amo

Address: 1082 Route de Morzine | La Cote D'Arbroz, 74110 Morzine, France
Location: France > Rhone-Alpes > Haute-Savoie > Morzine
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Spa Airport Transportation
Ranked #18 of 48 B&Bs / Inns in Morzine
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Chalet d'Amo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Chalet d`Amo Hotel Morzine-Avoriaz

If you own or manage Chalet d'Amo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.