“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Balladins Tours/Sud

Balladins Tours/Sud
You added Balladins Tours/Sud to your Saves list
Balladins Tours/Sud
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   254 Avenue du Grand Sud | RN 10, 37170 Chambray-Les-Tours, France   |
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Good points:
Convenient location from the motorway, easy to find, walking distance to several restaurants.
Good size car park.
Friendly staff with good English spoken.
More space than in a Formula 1 hotel, with more room for bags / hanging clothes and a bathroom (might be considered small but adequate for an overnight stay).

Negative points:
I booked 2 rooms. Shower brackets / holders in both rooms were broken – and in such an obvious way the cleaner would have known and should have reported it to management, who should have fixed them before letting the rooms. One of the beds in the twin room had a dubious stain on the sheets.
We reported it to reception who apologised but didn't offer an alternative room. I did ask if we could change room (they said yes) but by the time we noticed it was late, children's stuff unpacked and I didn't have the energy to move for one night's stay.
Window fastening faulty so it was either wide open or closed. We wanted it open (hot weather) but it opened onto a flat roof and I didn't feel secure leaving it wide open – so we ended up tying the handle to the furniture to open it only a small way!

The hotel is in need of a refurbishment.

There are so many other budget hotels offering rooms for a similar price that I will use an alternative chain in future.

Just to note - I completed the hotel's customer satisfaction survey and within hours had an email reply apologising for the problems with the shower.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Westport, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

my wife and I thought that the hotel was a good budget hotel, it was easy to find on the main road, with good parking, the receptionist was helpful, breakfast was good. the bedroom was small, but it was a budget one night stay, the shower was very tiny.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I rarely if ever check out of a hotel early and had planned to make this my base for budget travel in Tours. After one night I checked out. Even though I paid at the front desk for 2 nights with a major credit card, the desk clerk said their company could only refund my second day's fee by issuing a bank wire to my account in the states and that it would take a month to do so. I am still waiting for the refund. (I have NEVER been to a hotel that could not immediately return the money to a charge card and plan to ask my credit card about this when I return to the US.)

So... why did I check out?

This hotel has NO air conditioning. I was not aware of that when I chose it, but you will be painfully aware of it if you stay here. The rooms are tiny. I mean SMALL. My college dorm room had more space than this place. We rented a triple and the three tiny beds filled the room with just inches between them. Then there was the bed size -- these were kids beds designed for the 7 dwarves. My son's arm was dangling on me in the adjacent bed most of the night while I tried curling up small enough to keep my legs from dangling over the end of the bed. I've slept in better airplane seats.

Then there was the fact that the room was stuffy and hot and had just one tiny window. Worse, the window was above the front door and people stood outside smoking most of the night making the whole room stink. Then there was the adjacent road noise and the fact that no breeze could really blow through this tiny vent-like window opening....

Also, there was no soap or shampoo -- just that liquid stuff in a dispenser in the "shower".

Finally, there are no restaurants for miles around, no night life, nothing. Just a Mc D, KFC, and a bunch of Home Depot like places. This is far from city center -- in fact you pay a toll to get there -- and convenient to nothing.

I could go on and on about this place -- but the bottom line is: don't stay here.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Good things: near the hotel they are an Auchan, a Lidl, a McDonald and a KFC.
Bad things: I worked hard to find the hotel. The room is very small and very uncomfortable. But the bad thing in the world was the night receptionist (a woman). In her opinion, nothing could be done. I was not allowed to sleep in the room with my 3 family members (wife and two kids of which one under 5) because the room was only for 3 persons and she forced me to take two double rooms; I could not smoke in the courtyard although in my room it was an awful cigarette smoke when I took it, I could not have a chat with friends in the courtyard as I as disturbing the hotel guests, I could not take water in my room for my children, I could do nothing!!! Is the first hotel in my life, and I traveled a lot, where I see such a terror from the receptionist.
In my opinion, don't go there. There are plenty of accommodation options on Loire Valley.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boynton Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

If all you want is a room to crash for the night and are on a budget, check this hotel out. The room was very small for a couple but adequate and fairly clean. Has complimentary wi-fi. Somewhat difficult to find at night. Several American fast food chains nearby (wish we were not on a budget). Used as a base to see 3 chateaus close by. Beware the high cost of French highway tolls; didn't take my World Mastercard at most stations.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Balladins Tours/Sud? Share your experiences!