“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dewalokam Farmstay Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Karimannoor
Dewalokam Farmstay Retreat
You added Dewalokam Farmstay Retreat to your Saves list
Thodupuzha, Karimannoor 685581, India   |
London
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Dewalokam was by far the best place I stayed in Kerala, it has everything you could want from a holiday. Sinta and Jose are the perfect hosts and make you feel part of the family straight away, their care and concern for your enjoyment and stay with them is unparalleled with anywhere else I have ever stayed. The setting is so beautiful, surrounded by an organic farm, swimming pool and canal. The food is the best I have ever had. The yoga and meditation was excellent. It was the perfect retreat. I can't recommend it highly enough. I will be going back, annually if I could. Its great value for money and if you are looking for a home away from home, with a bit of luxury, relaxation and wonderful hosts and staff this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked two nights at Dewalokam purely based on their excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, so it felt a bit like a 'gamble' at the time. But it was certainly a gamble that paid off, as it was one of the loveliest places we stayed in Kerala. The rooms were spotlessly clean, the food excellent and the gardens beautiful, but more importantly the welcome and friendliness were overwhelming and we had a wonderful stay, wishing we had booked 3 nights or more. Our children also felt really welcome and had so much fun playing in the swimming pool, swimming in the river and hanging out with the other children. You can do as much or as little as you want, but all the free activities like the spice walk around the farm, the 'jungle' walk across the river, the cooking demonstrations and early morning yoga were all really interesting. I know Sinta worries about guests having too high expectations and hence being left disappointed, but I believe that would be impossible. We certainly weren't disappointed and everytime I use my pepper grinder now at home with the pepper corns grown at Dewalokam I think of was a lovely time we had!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked this homestay as part of our three week trip to India. We booked all of our trips etc independently and booked Dewalokam based on reviews. It exceeded our expectations in every way, Jose and Sinta are so welcoming, genuine,informative and interesting that you really do feel that you are part of their family. Sinta and Jose both possess great sense of humours, and their whole aim is to ensure you enjoy your stay. We booked for four nights but changed our itinerary to stay longer - just because we were so completely relaxed and happy there. The environs of the gardens and facilities offer serenity, beautiful surroundings and a great opportunity to discover the wonders of nature. The quality of the food is exquisite provided by extremely friendly Dewalokam family. This is a place that we would commend to anyone who desires to receive a warm welcome, be as comfortable as being in your own home and leave feeling sad that you have to go !

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm an avid traveller, and when I travel I love to seek out places that are a little out of the way, with an undiscovered feel. At the risk of exposing this hidden gem to the masses, I feel compelled to write and recommend Dewalokam whole-heartedly to anyone travelling in Kerala. Though they aren't the easiest destination to get to, that's definitely part of the attraction. (And I can attest that you can definitely reach them by public transportation if that's your style, although I think I was only the second traveller ever to do so!)

I was making some very last minute itinerary changes after have been unable to get off the waitlist for a scheduled train trip north from Alappuzha. Some fellow travellers I met at Nelpura outside of Alappuzha had just arrived from Dewalokam, and recommended it as the best place so far of their two week trip in Kerala. I called and spoke to Sinta on the phone and they were able to accomodate me last minute. She gave me all the details for the best way to reach them by public transport (by way of autorickshaw to Changancheri, bus to Kottayam, bus to Thodupuzha, and autorickshaw to Dewalokam - easy enough in a day, and fun if you like to see the way local people get around) and it was set.

By the time I pulled into the driveway, they already knew I was coming (one of the staff's cousins had called from one of the villages we passed through to let them know that a traveller was on their way....classic). The whole staff was lined up with Sinta in the front to greet me and welcome me to the family. Sinta and her wife Jose are great people, interesting and interested. They were eminently accommodating, and they let me eat some of the food they had prepared for the staff since I had missed the normal mid-day meal.

That food, and all the food I ate there, was amazing. (I spent an hour or two in the kitchen later on and the chef's taught me a few recipes which was great!) The dinners were a highlight (especially since I was travelling solo) since the family and all the guests eat together on the terrace surrounded by a hundred small, glowing candles!

The rooms are big and clean, with some quirky stylistic choices that I mainly enjoyed -- the open air shower was different and fun, even if it felt a bit unfinished. The staff, to a one, were kind and friendly.

Sinta's tour of the spice farm was fascinating, especially if you've ever (or never) wondered where all the spices in your kitchen cabinet come from. Tasting and smelling your way through all of the trees and plants was truly memorable.

Morning yoga was complementary when I was there, and the classes offered on the lawn by the pool were really relaxing, different than any of the other I took in India or have taken in the states! The pool was deliciously cool when it got hot, and the river made for an interesting swim (although having lived in Africa, I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I was going to get taken by a croc at any minute. They assured me there were none, but it was still a little bit eerie...)

I really can't say enough about the hospitality of Sinta and Jose (and the kids!) and and the beauty and peacefulness of this hidden oasis in Kerala. Definitely visit - just not too many of you, and not too often...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We returned to this idyllic homestay this year. We had visited for 4 days the previous year, but had felt that it rated a longer stay. So we stayed for 12 days in April 2013. As we drove to the homestay in a car arranged by Jose, the owner, we wondered if had done the right thing: To go back to a place again often involves dissapontment.

This was not the case. It took 5 minutes swimming in the river, a glance at the wonderful scenery that was the farm, and gardens and the forest on the otherside of the river to remind us just why we had chosen to come back to this place of tranquility. But it was also the warmth of the hospitality of the owners and their staff that made this stay so special.

You can add to this the chance to become educated in herbs, spices and all things organic; the arevidic massages; the yoga available (or the chance to bask in the swimming pool before breakfast, whilst one's partner did yoga); the walks through the rubber plantations; the wonderful food etc. This is all documented in other reports.

If you want a quiet stay where you can unwind and relax, this is the place for you. It may not be heaven itself; however it must get pretty close.

We made the right decision !

Peter

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at Dewalokum for two nights as part of a tailor made trip to Southern India. We were made most welcome at the homestay from the moment of our arrival until we left. Our hosts, Jose, Sinta and their two children, Tara and Paul attended to our every need. We particularly enjoyed the guided walk around the grounds where Sinta explained how the farm was run and showed us some of the many different fruits, vegetables and spices that they grow.

Every meal served during our stay was delicious and the opportunity to see our evening meal being prepared by Sudish the chef, was most interesting. In addition, the eating of this fantastic meal on the candlelit terrace with the family and other guests was enchanting.

Our room was spacious and comfortable and the friendly and helpful staff worked hard to keep the house and grounds clean and tidy, without us ever being aware of the effort that must have gone into this.

Sadly time did not allow us to partake in the yoga sessions or the guided jungle walk to see local wildife and birds. However, we did manage to find time to rest by the pool, swim in the river and have a relaxing massage. Next time we will stay much longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in a house room although we could have chosen one of the jungle cottages.