This was our fourth holiday at Nonsuch and the resort is developing fabulously! It seems to just get better and better, so it's about time to write about it. The grounds have grown up and are now lush and colourful in their stunning setting in between the hillside and the sea, and the accommodation feels as fresh as ever. We have visited as a couple, with our children and once with about 5 other families, so we've tried a few formulae and they have all worked beautifully; the varied and spacious apartments seem to allow peace and quiet for couples and families or larger groups alike. The abundant living space - inside and out - in apartments (and villas) of all sizes seems to make all the difference in this respect too. And these apartments are lovely and bright - they have been finished to a really high standard, are well equipped and super comfy. If you're missing anything, Coleen, Mariette, Terita, Zoe and the team seem to produce it out of thin air.
I happily spent all of several days relaxing at Nonsuch - by the (3) pools, on our deck, at the beach, snorkelling.....simple. Other days we mustered a bit of oomph and headed for the boats. Lesley, Shakimba, Mickey, Akim, Natasha and Denise are all on tap to take you for a sail, teach you to sail, or rig up the boats (dinghy, Hobie or keel) for more experienced types to set off in. With their help and some encouragement, we tried them all! The bay is a set inside a reef which means it's well protected from the Atlantic waves but the breeze is pretty dependable (if you're a kite surfer, it's heaven out by Green Island). It's always a highlight out in the boats to see turtles or dolphins and this time we got a close view a few times!
The restaurant is just not like home. It's open air, perched above the beach and sea, and Chef Mitchell is really terrific. He is new since our last visit and the food - which was always very good - is excellent and the menu is now nicely varied; the evening menu was changing every two days. The produce is fresh and local if possible, and Chef is proud of his suppliers. The whole team are wonderfully friendly and cheerful: Schena, David and Timmy at the bar, Charmaine, Genela, Yendi and Vonda (they were so good remembering our names that I hope I haven't left anyone out!). As on previous occasions, we took the Half-board option (so it's a holiday away from the kitchen for me) so we were spoiled at breakfast and dinner and happily catered for ourselves from our vast kitchen at lunchtime (paninis, salads, cold drinks of all varieties!).
We didn't spend a lot of time away from the resort this time but it's easy to rent a car for a trip to English or Falmouth Harbours, out for lunch or dinner, Stingray City (which we tried this time and really enjoyed), or a good explore of the island. Or you can simply book a taxi.
We'll be back to Nonsuch asap - it's a really unique combination of island appeal, lovely accommodation (it's hard to go back to hotel rooms after these digs) and friendly atmosphere (it was so nice to be welcomed back by so many familiar, friendly faces). Quite perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nonsuch Bay Resort nestles in forty exotic acres of the stunning bay carved out of the southeast of Antigua; embraced by lush tropical hills, a uniquely private and serene setting, a tranquil haven and home to wildlife including dolphins and turtles. Pure relaxation is blended with out-an-out adrenalin, and the finest luxuries with the simplest of pleasures. Resort facilities comprise a dramatically positioned restaurant, 3 infinity swimming pools, seclude sandy beach, 20 sailboats and tuition, kitesurfing, windsurfing, SUPs and spa treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Jetsetter, Orbitz, Travelocity, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Nonsuch Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonsuch Bay Hotel Freetown
- Nonsuch Bay Resort Antigua/Freetown