My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning of a 2-1/2 week island-hopping Caribbean vacation in late February. This was the perfect place to completely decompress and get into vacation mode. The site is picturesque and the resort is extremely peaceful and quiet.
The room we stayed in was a fully appointed one-bedroom apartment with a wrap-around porch overlooking Nonsuch Bay. It had a full kitchen so we could prepare snacks and cook our own meals, which we did a few times when we wanted a break from restaurant food. It had a living room with comfortable sofas and chairs and cable TV. The bedroom was large with two huge closets and the bed was the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in while traveling (seriously, we slept 12 hours the first night and then took a 3 hour nap the next day!!). The bathroom was also huge, modern and nice.
One of the resort’s infinity pools was just steps away from our door, but there were never more than 2 people using it at a time, so in a way, it felt like our private pool.
As others have said, this is definitely off the beaten path. It’s about a 45-minute drive from the airport, the last 10 minutes of which are on a dirt road. It’s at least 30 minutes to the nearest grocery store or amenity of any size. Therefore, I would absolutely recommend renting a car while you are staying here so you can take independent day trips to other areas of the island (I recommend driving 15 minutes to half-moon bay!). Don’t let the remoteness discourage you from staying here. It is a beautiful, secluded resort and you’ll be glad once you’ve arrived.
Overall, the service here was good. In particular, the maid service in our room was outstanding. The service in the restaurant, however, could use a little more finessing. While the food was very good (although not the best one can find on the island), the servers seemed unfamiliar with the menu. My husband and I would order from the menu while pointing to the item we were ordering and the servers would often look confused and on more than one occasion brought the wrong item. There was a miscommunication one night about the cost of the entrée I ordered and when I brought it up to our server she got very defensive and basically said it was my misunderstanding, end of story. I wish she would have at least said something like, “I’m sorry for the confusion, let me look into that.” I think simply providing more training to the servers would help. For example, the resort could train them to repeat all orders back to the customer so there is no confusion about the order and make sure they are all familiar with the menu when they arrive for their shift each day.
Overall, we loved our time at the resort and would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nonsuch Bay Resort nestles in forty exotic acres of the stunning bay carved out of the southeast of Antigua; embraced by lush tropical hills, a uniquely private and serene setting, a tranquil haven and home to wildlife including dolphins and turtles. Pure relaxation is blended with out-an-out adrenalin, and the finest luxuries with the simplest of pleasures. Resort facilities comprise a dramatically positioned restaurant, 3 infinity swimming pools, seclude sandy beach, 30 sailboats and tuition, kitesurfing, windsurfing, SUPs and spa treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Nonsuch Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonsuch Bay Hotel Freetown
- Nonsuch Bay Resort Antigua/Freetown