“A Disappointing Stay” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Pontoon, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pontoon
“A Disappointing Stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

We recently stayed at the Pontoon Bridge Hotel as we were going to a wedding there. I would have to say that the place probably ranks as one of the worst (if not the worst) hotel I have ever stayed in and I will never go back. The room was an adequate size and bright - and that's about as good as it gets! The view from one window was over a flat roof extension to another wall of the hotel. From the other, you could gaze over the roof to the carpark. This was despite asking for a room with a view on booking and when checking in. Leaving that aside, the decor in the room was shabby - the wallpaper was faded, torn and badly repaired in some places, the carpet was not fitted properly, pipework around the radiator and skirting boards was covered with very DIY-esque carpentry, all the furniture was scruffy and old (including the leather-ette headboard!), and then through the sliding door, there was the bathroom... the 1970s tiles had been badly repaired and regrouted along one wall and although the sanitary fittings were clean, there were some large cobwebs along the roof of the room, one of which had two resident spiders who had obviously been living there for some time.
On a positive note, we had ordered breakfast to our room at a cost of EUR4 per person, and it arrived on time and as per our order.
Checking out took longer than it should have as the manageress (I think that's who she was) on reception decided to try to check in another guest at the same time as checking us out. We were not asked how our stay was, and had to clarify our bill with her.
This was not a cheap hotel at EUR70 pp pn, despite the decor suggesting otherwise - and the 10% service charge on top of the room rate is still a mystery... not sure what the service was that we received...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2004

We had the pleasure of staying at the Pontoon Bridge Hotel for a 2 night break over Christmas. Our good friends from London were getting married and they choose this great location for their big day. We checked in to a very spacious bedroom right overlooking the lake and the view of the mountain and islands was special. We found the food in the hotel restaurant memorable, generous portions and well priced. We enjoyed the bar and there was a live band playing there on our first night. The wedding itself was terrific and the hotel did themselves proud in every respect. The professionalism and friendliness was noted by everyone at our table. It was a fabulous occasion and the night was topped off by fireworks at midnight. Overall, this place has a unique charm and stunning location. We'll be back in summer and plan to bring the fishing rod and golf clubs.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2003

On attending a wedding in the Pontoon Hotel last May we made a reservation for two nights. The wedding itself was fantastic and I have to say the management did look after the guests during the reception itself but thats were it ended. When we arrived at the hotel itself we were booked into a room which we were told was a "good " room, on arriving I thought to myself, " I wouldn't like to see a bad room !" The standard of the facilities were mediocre to say the least, the bathroom was so outdated I'm surprised the faclities actually work, didn't fancy walking around in my bare feet on the carpet either, bit dodgey looking. Our "good" room had a lovely view over the yard, ie.
the tops of some lovely sheds/storage facilities and then looking towards a cliff side, not exactly what I was expecting !! One thing I have to say is that we had a meal in their restaurant and although the surrounding was a bit old fashioned (may be to some people's taste) the food was delicious. Apart from the restaurant I was so glad to leave the hotel and return home, I'd never go back and would definetly not recommend it. On leaving we received a fairly substantial bill considering the state of the room we were not impressed - must mention that this was also with a wedding guest discount. We were extremely surprised as we had previously been quoted approx €75 a room with the discount, however the bill came to €75 each per night, totalling €300 for the two nights - not including meals. I have travelled a fair bit throughout both Ireland, Europe and the US and considering the standard of the hotel this was certainly not up to scratch and did not represent value for money. The difference in price was put down to an error in quote and as far as they were concerned this was the case closed. On returning from our trip we were still so annoyed that we complained in writing to the hotel, surprisingly enough no reply was received. Subsequently we e-mailed our complaints twice ( to the same address where we had placed our reservations ) and to this day still have not received a reply. I am very disappointed not only with the experience that we had but also that this is how such a beautiful part of the country is being represented to tourists from abroad.

Been to Pontoon Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Pontoon Bridge Hotel

Address: Main Street, Pontoon, Ireland
Location: Ireland > Western Ireland > Province of Connacht > County Mayo > Pontoon
Bar / Lounge Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pontoon
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Pontoon Bridge Hotel 3.5*
Twin Lakes Restaurant with panoramic views of Lough Conn and magical sunsets. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Pontoon Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Pontoon Bridge Foxford
Hotel Pontoon Bridge

If you own or manage Pontoon Bridge Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.