“Fathers Day Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Aylesbury
“Fathers Day Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We wanted a venue between Aylesbury and Witney to suit the various family members. It was a good thing we had booked as otherwise we would have been unlucky. As it was, we were unable to park in the car park and had to use the overflow field the other side of the river. We were immediately shown to our reserved table by the window overlooking the river - lovely. The service was excellent. For a busy Sunday lunch service, we finished comfortably within 2 hours without being rushed. The choice was varied and the food was excellent. The only slight grumble was that the vegetables could have done with a little more cooking. Extremely pleasant - we will be back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Outside Dining By The Stream”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Old Fisherman is in a good location by a stream with a large garden and play area for children, and plenty of parking. It has a smallish bar area ( which is quite cosy in the winter ), a restaurant and there is a different menu for eating outside or in the bar.

We have visited on several occasions but have never eaten in the main restaurant. Instead, we eat outside by the stream. The bar menu is standard fare, nothing special but perfectly adequate for outside eating. Sometimes the benches by the stream can be plagued by flying insects or wasps, which is a little off-putting, but it is normally very pleasant by the stream. The beer is amongst the most expensive in the region so you are paying a small premium for the location.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
KENT
“Found this gem by luck!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It was a recent Sunday evening 26th May, and we had left Oxford in search of food whilst on the way home to Kent.
Well, it soon became apparent there is not a lot of food service in pubs, around 6pm on a Sunday, especially in this area.
By chance one pub we tried, suggested The Old Fisherman, as they "may" do meals on a Sunday evening at this time of year.

The pub has a lovely setting by a stream, and has a garden with activities to keep little one's occupied. And enough tables to go round when we were there.
They also have food service to the garden I believe, from a certain menu.
Car parking is also ample.

We were sat in the main restaurant, which had a nice view over the garden area.
To be honest we only had garlic bread as a starter!
But is was excellent, with Garlic and chives a plenty. And not stodgy as in some places.

This was followed, by myself having the Herb Crusted Fillet of Atlantic Cod, which was served on wilted Spinach, with cherry tomatoes. The cod was fresh and the meat white, with a lovely crust. And served with "house potatoes" which were pretty much like scalloped. Very nice indeed.

My wife had Mediterranean Vegetables Encroute with an excellent amount of vegetables, and made with with goats cheese and red onion compote in filo. With a tomato dressing and again the house potatoes. I understand it was perfect.

My son had the Chicken burger and chips, this was with Monterey Jack, chorizo and coleslaw.

For dessert I had the Bramley and Blackberry crumble with custard, the filling was aplenty and a lovely crumble on top.
My son had some lovely little chocolate profiteroles, which looked very tasty indeed.

The waitress was very helpful, and efficient. Unfortunately, I have cannot remember her name at the moment.
But she will remember us by a "false tooth" incident.

The manager I believe is also a chef at lunchtime, but in the evenings there are 3 other chefs in the kitchen.
And the pub was bought around 10 years ago, expanded and turned into a gem.

All in all, we had a great time and feel very lucky to have found The Old Fisherman.
Hopefully, we will find it the next time we visit the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Witney, United Kingdom
“Relaxing riverside pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I have passed this pub probably hundreds of times in my life but never been in! Sister said we did as kids though. Anyway bank holiday Monday.... Sunshine.. Amazing! Spent from 1.30 till about 4pm. 9 year old daughter enjoyed the garden and a play equipment. Sister and me had lunch. Me; Stilton ploughman's plenty of cheese, pickle and bread with pickled onion and coleslaw. Did the job. Daughter had chicken strips and chips, sister had a wrap. Good quick service considering the day and time. I will definitely return for a meal. Only minor complaint was cappucino was really really weak!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RICHARD K, Owner at The Old Fisherman, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Many thanks for your kind words and sorry about the coffee. It's a lovely garden in which to spend a nice day and I'm glad you enjoyed it after driving past so many times.
Buckinghamshire
“Rib Eye Steak to Die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Lunched here with 2 friends and it was once again excellent. One friend had the Sea Food Chowder and said it was as good as she had eaten in the U.S. My other friend had the Pie of the Day which was Chicken and Ham in a Grain Mustard Sauce which had the thinnest, tastiest, suet crust pastry. I was served the best chargrilled Rib Eye steak I've had in years - it hardly needed a knife and was meltingly delicious! This was served with mushrooms, sweet vine tomatoes, succulent fresh peas, and instead of the stated chips I chose Garlicky Saute Potatoes...yummy!
The service was excellent and although we lingered long after closing time, we were left to vacate our seats at our leisure. It cheered us up on a cold, grey day and I would not hesitate to recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere