“Great B&B, great host, beautiful garden & views” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Dungarvan Village, Gowran, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Gowran B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Great B&B, great host, beautiful garden & views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and I have to say it's the best b&b we've ever stayed in, should really be a 5 star (and it's also great value for money). The gardens are beautiful with plenty of seating to take in the fantastic scenery, The house and the (massive) room were spotless, lovely comfortable bed, big en-suite with great shower and plenty of hot water. Breakfasts were lovely, made to order. The host, Elizabeth, is probably the nicest person you'll ever meet, she couldn't do enough for us (even drove us into Kilkenny city centre one night which is about 11 miles away) She also gave us plenty of information about where to visit and places to eat. We had never been down this part of the country before but we'll definitely be back and we'll definitely book Kilbawn Country House again, absolutely lovely county with very friendly people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Kilburn house is very lovely with a lot of ground to take nice walks. There is a lovely garden out front that was wonderful for sitting and enjoying a glass of wine. The room itself was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was nice. Elizabeth, the landlady, is very pleasant and knowledgeable about the area. Our biggest complaint was the lack of sleep. Our room was right over the living quarters and apparently, family was arriving and chatting until the wee hours of the morning. I would request a room that is not directly over the family room.
In response to the review that stated there were instruction notes everywhere, there were, but we didn't find them offensive. Some were helpful, but most, innocuous :)

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that is not over the kitchen
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We booked Kilbawn Country House for 1 night as we were attending a wedding nearby. We were originally due to check-in at around 12 noon before the wedding but due to un-forseen circumstances we were delayed. We rang the host Elizabeth that morning to explain that we would arrive in the afternoon directly after the church ceremony was over. She was very rude making us feel that we had ruined her whole day and upset her plans! When I asked for directions a second time (We are not familiar with the area at all) she asked me why I hadn't checked google maps! On arrival, we were shown to our room in quite an abrupt manner. We were told that the last breakfast was at 930am. We asked would it be at all possible to have breakfast a little later but there was no flexibility on this at all. I didn't feel comfortable staying at this B&B. It's a lovely house and the rooms were very clean but there were 'instruction' notes everywhere on what you could and couldn't do. The breakfast was good but overall I would not recommend this B&B if you want a relaxed experience. We were very shocked at the reception we received on the phone before we arrived and were very tempted to stay at another property but as we had booked on booking.com we would have lost our money.Obviously Kilbawn owners are running a business but this is not how you should treat potential customers!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eliz_Byrne, Owner at Kilbawn Country House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I am always happy to receive comments back from my guests on how to make my business more comfortable, friendly and efficient. I am therefore happy to reply to comments which were made on Trip Advisor on the 16th July.

I apologise to my guest if my frankness came across as been rude because this certainly was not my intention.

After showing my Guests to their room we discussed what they might like for Breakfast, after which I then said that I will see you both in the morning at 9. 30 am , to which my Guest replied jokingly you will be lucky to see us at 3 pm, and asked me was there no movement on the breakfast time, to this I explained that on this occasion there could not be, as I wanted to attend an annual Cemetery Mass where My Mother was laid to rest one week previously.

I asked my guest in view of their requirements would they like me to enquire from neighbouring B&B Homes if they had accommodation available, advising them that there would not be penalties as the booking was made through Gulliver Ireland from our own website.

The guest declined alternative accommodation . I believed then that they were happy to accept what I had offered. It is always my wish to facilitate my guest’s requirements as far as possible as I want them to have an enjoyable stay in my home.

Jim & Elizabeth Byrne
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night with Elizabeth at the Kilbawn Country House on June 22 on our way back to Dublin.
Elizabeth was welcoming and her home very lovely. Her garden in the front was so pretty!

We had a great stay, with a lovely breakfast, enjoying her Irish humor, and wished we could have stayed longer!

Patty and Paul Lucca. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

• Stayed June 2013
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was such a lovely property with a beautiful house and gardens. The twin room I stayed in would have been more than spacious for 2 people, with great views of the yard and hillside. Elizabeth, in particular, was fantastic. I arrived very early and she invited me in with no hesitations. She had plenty of information and maps for guests to take. She took excellent care of me for the duration of the stay, suggesting roads/routes to avoid, sites to see, and restaurants & bars to visit (she even called to make me reservations!)- which I appreciated as a solo female traveler. The only thing I didn't realize was that the closest town was quite small, with one shop that sold sandwiches and wraps. Kilkenny city was about a 10-15 minute drive, so it just required a bit more planning on my end. I would definitely stay here again just because of Elizabeth and her hospitality. Couldn't thank her enough!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We picked the Kilbawn Country House B&B based on Trip Advisor and Booking.Com reviews, and we certainly were glad we did. Innkeeper Elizabeth did everything in her power to make our stay a positive experience even before our arrival.

From Dublin we traded emails confirming our arrival time, and getting detailed driving instructions plus a list of suggested stops to make on the drive down to Gowran. Upon our late afternoon arrival we were given tea and biscuits and given a list of possible sights to see during our three night stay. The B&B is spotless, with a comfortable bed, ensuite bathroom and an electric blanket with dual controls to warm up the bed before going to sleep. The B&B is located in the midst of horse and farm country, and set back from the road and we didn't hear any traffic going by. Breakfast was prepared expertly and served with a smile by Elizabeth. WiFi was working once a new router was installed, and Elizabeth even offered to do our laundry since we had been travelling for several days before landing in her helping hands. Definitely a very fine B&B experience!

Room Tip: Room #5 was very quiet being on the back side of the B&B.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Staying at Kilbawn Country House was a fantastic experience for my mom,dad, and I. The rooms were spacious and spotless, and the bathrooms were clean and great as well. Elizabeth is absolutely wonderful and will help you with anything that you need. Also, she makes delicious homemade bread and scones in the morning for breakfast (her Irish breakfast is delectable too) and has many other options as well. I highly recommend Kilbawn to anyone looking for a great place to stay during their trip to Ireland!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kilbawn Country House? Share your experiences!