“Great Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Manor

You added The Manor to your Saves list
The Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northampton Road, Weston on the Green OX25 3QL, England (Formerly Weston Manor)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Swindon
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We too stayed on a Groupon voucher the hotel was beautiful, we had not realised we would be relegated to the Coach House. We were very disappointed with the old fashioned decor and found it difficult to believe that in this day and age there were not tea/coffe making facilities. We would need to pay £5.00 extra for this priviledge

The actual hotel was beautiful and we had a few drinks at the bar, which although expensive was no more costly than any other bar of this calibre. The barman was very helpful and knowledgeable
We had a beautiful dinner and the waiters were exceptional. We had booked a table for 7.30 but were told they had no recollection of it, the receptionist was unhelpful and insisted they had a big party so we couldn't eat until 8.15pm. Had a feeling if we were full paying guests we would have been treated differently.

The bed was uncomfortable, I hardly slept, the sheet kept moving around, the room was so hot that I couldn't sleep, I found the radiator in the morning, behind the curtan, but couldn't turn the bathroom radiator off or down and with only a cariff of water, this added to my dehydration

We were not told at breakfast that our choice was limited and chose a full cokked only for us to have to pay more
We would go back but only to eat

Room Tip: Great for a special occasion
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Serbian first
Stoke Mandeville, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel was booked as a result of a Groupon offer, which was clearly very popular, as we could only get one weekend before the offer expired this month. I hadn't looked at reviews prior to our visit, as the picture sold it to me, otherwise I would have requested a room in the main building. Instead, we were relegated to the ground floor of the Coach House and could hear every footstep, cough and conversation from the room above us. Not quite what I had in mind for a romantic evening away with the husband.

The rating is based on everything but the room we stayed in. The main hotel building is beautiful and tastefully decorated. Checking in went with ease, the receptionist was nice and very helpful. The bar staff were accommodating and eager to please. Our dining experience was excellent with the food arriving in a timely manner and being cooked to perfection. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable on the food being presented. I found nothing wrong with the portions of the food, having eaten plenty of taster menus in the past; with both of us being comfortably full. At breakfast, we opted for a full English breakfast, only to find that this is not included in the offer on checkout. I suspect that this was more to do with the way the offer was advertised on Groupon, as there was no mention of the breakfast on offer being continental. All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone, if only for the excellent food!

Room Tip: As with previous recommendations, avoid the Coach House if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I spent 1 night at the hotel after purchasing a groupon voucher. When we first walked into the main hotel, we weren't disappointed; it was beautiful. However, we very quickly discovered that our room was in fact a tiny and extremely shabby attic room in the coach house (38). we are far from fussy, but this room was truly unacceptable. After complaining (nicely), straight away, we were moved to the only other empty room (36), also in the attic space of the coach house. It was marginally better, but still a real disappointment. The manager's comments on other people's reviews about how it's ok, as the coach house is about to be renovated doesn't really help when you are staying before the renovations!!
We had a very nice dinner in the restaurant and a lovely evening, however, once again we were disappointed in the morning when we arrived at breakfast and found that the only choice was a continental breakfast. I minor thing, but the advert said 'buffet breakfast'. It didn't detail the limitation to this. We then nearly fainted when we were given our drinks bill from the night before! We had 4 drinks between us in the bar, small house white: approx £12! Gin and tonic, the same!! The final nail in the coffin was the £12.50 meal surcharge; again something that was not detailed in the advert.
This was a trip we were really looking forward to as having 2 young children we don't get out much, however, we were really disappointed.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian K, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your constructive feedback and appreciate that you felt the room inadequate for your stay. I am off the understanding that the only other room we had available was offered without hesitation and this was gladly accepted. The rooms allocated under the Groupon deal are clearly stipulated in the ad and many guests do prefer to book an upgrade to get the feel of the historical Manor house. We do offer this opportunity to all guests. Furthermore, we do provide complimentary upgrades when we have rooms available in the main house and these upgrades are at my entire discretion. Sadly, during your stay this was not an available option.

I am pleased to inform you though that your comments regarding the rooms, which were constructive, have been taken onboard and will be considered as the room you were staying in is undergoing refurbishment as I write this response.

Should you decide to visit The Manor in the future, I welcome the opportunity to assist you with your booking and will whole-heatedly ensure that you will leave The Manor with pleasant memories.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the Groupon offer. We upgraded to a superior room and emailed before arriving to ask for a refurbished room, based on feedback on trip advisor. Everything was perfect. Staff are very polite and helpful. The taster menu was excellent. Although small portions, there was plenty to eat. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

If you like being waited on in an isolated opulent environment do not hesitate, this will fulfil your fantasies. I thought at times I was in a movie, the bed was heaven: the sheets linen, the carpet a plush lush white and a chandelier!,I could of just stayed in bed! A real fire and a welcome feeling of being at home on the estate. A well kept wooden minstrels gallery for dining in. Good, somewhat pricey bar (with champagne at the ready) but two pubs close by if required.
The only disappointment was in such beautiful surroundings the flower beds were very empty. The hedges beautifully cut as was the main lawn, but it needs some love. I know this time of year is not the best but I could not see any signs that summer would make much difference. Its early days so reserving my opinion on that one. Highly recommended for those who appreciate the finer things in life.

Room Tip: Use Groupon and upgrade to a refurbished room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for a night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and what a pleasant stay we had. The hotel is fantastic, the food superb and very filling, and staff simply brilliant. Although I paid to upgrade to a superior room, when we got to the hotel we were pleased to find that we'd been further upgraded to a four poster bed - room 7. Brilliant!

• Stayed April 2013
banbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Visited the hotel for Afternoon Tea using a groupon voucher. This was excellent value. We had the Manor Tea and were given a wide choice of tea. The sandwiches were lovely and the scones were freshly made, there were also shortbread and pastries. The service was very good attentive but not intrusive. The surroundings were beautiful and I would return to stay at the hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!