When first arriving the hotel exterior was as expected from the website, very picturesque however, things started to go downhill from there. Upon check-in at reception it was empty and we rang the bell, a member of staff walked passed us without acknowledging us and we had to wait for 5 minutes, then the same member of staff returned and apologised for keeping us waiting and check-in was adequate, although on asking what newspaper we wanted the next morning, she didn't advise us and we didn't realise until the next morning our newspaper was not delivered to our room as is normal in most hotels but was left on the sideboard in the hallway off reception. We were in Room 4 which was bright, clean and airy and of a good size, a little dated however upon opening the door to the bathroom, we were very shocked to see 1) how old fashioned it was with a dark green olive bath suite and the sink rather grimey with black limescale but 2) that there was no shower, a basic requirement to provide in all hotels, yet only a shower head attachment to douse yourself down, but not hook to hang it or shower curtain, so as a woman with long hair made washing my hair difficult and lengthy process and 3) there was no warning sign to say the towel rail was extremely hot and we both when cleaning out teeth bending down to the sink caught ourselves causing a slight red mark, which is a health & safety issue.
The gardens were beautiful and extremely well looked after but not much outside seating to enjoy the landscape. The swimming pool was sadly locked up but also looked unkept, with leaves and dirt in the pool and not covered over, and surrounding it had tatty old furniture, this could be made a more beautiful feature. After a lovely walk around the gardens we went into the bar but was unable to locate a member of staff, eventually after asking at reception someone came, and this was re-occuring each time other guests would come into the bar over the next half hour/hour. We was also disappointed when ordering a pint of Guiness to have a 3/4 filled glass to be told 'sorry we've ran out' and offering a bottle to top it up and being a Saturday night when the hotel was fully booked is a poor forward planning. The bar and lounge/entrance is very charming and in keeping but not near the restaurant. We had booked dinner bed and breakfast and had looked at the restaurant which was stunning, minstral gallery, dark wood features and fireplace, where we had hoped to be seated rather than the more modern extension, and were pleased to be. The service was pleasant and friendly in the restaurant,although upon arrival the female waitress was complaining to other guests they were short staffed. The cut of lamb however was somewhat fatty, but the rest of our meal was good and was offered tea and coffee in the lounge, however it did seem we were being ushered out of the restaurant as they began setting up for breakfast and it was only 10.20pm. The room was a comfortable nights sleep, very warm however from the towel rail on all the time but we had the windows open. Breakfast was not great, the buffet selection looked a bit sad and a waitress came in with a cheap looking carton of OJ to fill up the orange juice in front of us, not very appealing or chilled. The full english breakfast was ok but the sausage was overcooked. Overall it was a pleasant stay but it felt like corners were cut at the guests expense and not good value for money.
- Also Known As:
- Weston Manor Hotel Weston On The Green
- Weston Manor Hotel
- Weston Manor Oxford
- Weston Manor Hotel Oxford
- Weston Manor Weston On The Green, Oxfordshire, UK
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 12 tranquil acres of Oxfordshire countryside on the edge of the Cotswolds, offering the perfect environment for a variety of events, leisure breaks, celebrations, weddings, private parties, residential meetings/conference or team building. Country house with award-winning cuisine situated in the Manor Restaurant. Located just 2 miles from Junction 9 of the M40, with 35 comfortable bedrooms and attentive service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Weston Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.