“Didn't spend much time there, but was hotel was clean and suffient.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Didn't spend much time there, but was hotel was clean and suffient.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed 2 nights there when visiting friends nearby. The room was clean and odor-free ( not always the case at other accommodations). It was quite warm that weekend, but the A/C kept us very comfortable. There was a pool at this location, but we were too busy to be able to use it. No free breakfast at this location. The staff was very helpful when our shower faucet handle came off in our hand and got it fixed quickly. In their defense the faucet was new and for some reason had not been properly installed. We didn't think this was too big an issue and did not ask to be compensated (despite having to trek down to another room to shower until the problem was resolved), but it also was not offered. All in all no complaints from us. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tulsa, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here 3 nights because I got a Priceline name your own price for $50. For that price, it was fine. At the $100 or so for regular price, I would have felt cheated. You can get a Drury Inn for that price and they are much nicer.

The good was that the room was spacious and clean, housekeeping was nice and the front desk clerk (Jason, I think) was helpful and pleasant. The hotel was right off the highway and we had no trouble getting downtown for sightseeing. There are a lot of restaurants around and a convenience/liquor store next door. The bed in the room was nice, the sheets seemed crisp and clean and there were both soft and firm pillows. The free wifi in the rooms worked great!

The bad was that the breakfast buffet was $10, which is not a big deal, but so many hotel, even cheap ones, now have a free breakfast of some sort, that it's notable that Holiday Inn does not even put out a box of donuts. The food was good though and the restaurant staff were friendly. The place is a little dated. It looks like some remodeling has been done, but the elevators were a little rough inside, the couch in the room had seen better days, and the TV was old and would go wavy from time to time. If I were running this hotel I'd get someone in to spruce up a few of the rough edges that make it look like there hasn't been much attention to detail.

The worst thing about the hotel was the door slamming though. On both Friday and Saturday nights, the stairwell door, which was near our room on the second floor, was banging all night and in the early hours of the morning. Not just opening and shutting, everytime someone used it it would BANG shut. I'm pretty sure a new hinge on that door would let it close softer and not wake up that whole wing. We had the air conditioner on in our room and a white noise machine, but it still woke us up over and over. Sunday night it mostly stopped, but I think there just wasn't hardly anyone else at the hotel Sunday night.

Anyway, overall for $50 a night it was clean, safe, and in a good neighborhood, had free wifi and had a good, if overpriced restaurant. For $100 a night you could do better in the same area and I wouldn't stay here unless I could get a good deal like that, but for the price I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Hotel was outdated. The parking lot was small. The pool was not convient locted in building. There was only one washer and dryer for laundry facilities. The dryer did not work properly. Everytime we visited the pool the were out of towels. No free contiental breakfast. The prices for food in the restuarant were high. The fire alarm system looked very old.

The shower in our room was small. The whole bathroom was small. Our room was missing a suitcae holder. I was told over the phone when I called regarding questions I had that the hotal had went thru a MULTI-MILLION-dollar renovation. We were diapappointed. We were sad we had to spend 2 nights there after staying the first night. We stayed at a Drury Inn and Suited our 3rd night are were very very pleased.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
West Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This was our last night's stay on the way home from the Grand Canyon and we picked it because of the proximity to downtown St. Louis which was the main advantage. Overpriced for the age of the hotel. Hotel seemed to be updated somewhat based on the furniture but the bathroom was dated and shower tub was dirty. King sized bed was comfortable and it was fine for just a night's stay but I wouldn't stay longer than that.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
st louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was not impressed with the hotel or the Viking Lounge (Generations). I observed the Hotel manager/owner was argumentive, intimidating, verbally abusive to a female customer and her party in the Viking Lounge (Generations). He grabbed her arm on several occasions, pushed her, and used profanity to this customer and her party. When she left several approximately 10 other customers left with her. I would not recommend this establishment, hotel or lounge to anyone. There is serious problems with the Hotel manager/owner and his staff. I have found out that this owner has had prior confrontations with customers. I would not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
clarice01, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
The correct info is, this former customer tried to sneak in the bar and not pay a cover charge. The same customer would complain about drinks that were served to her, that they didn't have enough alcohol in the drink.
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

I ran my second convention at the Holiday Inn Southwest-Viking Conference Center in November 2009. My first was in March 2008. Their level of service and overall willingness to work with conventions and conferences is absolutely unparalleled. Unfortunately, the space does not rent cheaply, and the main events room is too small for some of our groups, so I can't afford to hold every event here.

Toni was my sales & catering rep this time. She is very nice. Last year I worked with Mark who has since left the hotel. Toni had regular meetings with us and always called me back quickly when she wasn't in. Once, when I went a couple of months without talking to her, she called me to see if I needed to meet. During the convention, she was at the hotel most of the time, seeing what else she could do for us. That's the general attitude of the staff there, a willingness to do anything to make your event work.

This event was one with a rather weird subject, but the hotel staff worked with me to make sure that our group was treated respectfully even though we weren't your usual wedding or business conference. The manager even participated in some of our events!

The hotel is conveniently located at the intersection of many major roads in St. Louis. It has a big parking lot and lots of rooms. The layout of the convention area itself is consolidated and easy to navigate. The rooms are all proportioned well for conventions up to 700 people. We once had 1500 in there, but that was a mess. I'd recommend keeping your group under 1000 and preferably in the 400-700 range at this hotel. The concourse is what makes conventions there so great. It's like having your own convention lobby, and you can put tables down the hall for extra vendor space.

The rooms themselves are comfortable but a little small. They aren't tiny by any means, though.

The suites have a nice couch in them and make good hospitality or party rooms. This hotel is open to room parties as long as you tell them what you intend to do.

Best parts: great staff willing to work with us on everything, very beautiful pool, lots of free parking, separate entrances for convention area and restaurant/bar

Improvements the hotel could make: a better business center would be nice. If they put in a second computer and got newer monitors, it would make the business center more welcoming.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My family and I checked out in the morning. After leaving the motel my ten year old son told me that he left his wallet in the room. I phoned immediately and asked the staff to retrieve the wallet. We returned within 15 minutes of departing. I walked in and was handed the wallet. All of the money was missing ($30). I expressed my concern with management that it appeared that their staff was potentially at fault. They were dismissive and insulting. Stay at your own risk.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
nzammito, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
While we appreciate the comments expressed in this review and strive to provide the safest and most secure facilities for our valued guests we cannot be held responsible for lost or missing property. We offer safe deposit boxes at no charge for use by our guests to secure their valuables. This is standard policy in the hotel industry. This incident was investigated more than once and no evidence of missing money was ever discovered.

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!