“3 Stars in 1973” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
PHOENIX
“3 Stars in 1973”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This hotel was rated as "3 stars" and 7.5/10 by Priceline, neither of which rating it approaches. The multitude of problems with this hotel are almost too many to list. The so called renovation that has been promised for years according to the reviews is moving at a snails pace at best. The room, hallways and elevator were filthy. The tub was stained and there was a hole in the bathroom ceiling where it had rotted out. Room numbers were printed on 8.5 by 11 sheets, cut in half and taped to the room doors. Priceline appears to be allowing shills to post higher ratings to keep this hotel above 7 to make it appear to be an upscale 3 star hotel, when it is actually a one star dump.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear andym1701,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It seems like we fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I am from this area of St. Louis, so when I come back to visit, it is most convenient to stay near family. But even if that were not the case, I can see the advantages to staying here: it is very clean, safe, and central to many area attractions, with easy access to highways. The property is well-maintained and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The lobby greets you with smoke. We booked 2 queen beds. We walked in the room to find 2 double beds. We called the front desk who stated they were queen - NO WAY! We were tired with 3 kids and a dog and thought we could deal with it. We put our 3 kids in one double and my husband and I in the other. These beds were so uncomfortable - springs in my back, bulges - did not get any sleep and I am pregnant. My daughter fell off the bed because she was cramed in the bed with her brothers. I did not think the room was dirty, old looking but not necessarily dirty. Then came breakfast. My husband took the kids down to the "buffet" and guess what no buffet that morning. Guess what - we immediately checked out and did not keep our 2nd night reservation.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here if you have a family.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear CLM6,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. I am glad to know that you found our location suitable for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found our bed accommodations uncomfortable for your family. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance at a latter time to show you what we have done.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback.

Pam G.
rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked through Hotwire and received a very good value. The gentleman at the front desk was so pleasant and accommodating. After we were almost all checked in, my husband asked for a room where we could see our car, and he cheerfully changed our room. The room was clean and comfortable. Newspaper at the door in the morning, coffee and tea in the lobby. The lady at the front desk said they were renovating the hotel and it will be completed by early 2013. The room we had was not one of the renovated ones, but it was fine. We were only there long enough to sleep and shower, so did not get to check out pool, fitness room, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I booked through Priceline and normally I am happy with the ratings that Priceline uses but this time I was extremely disappointed. The room was just ok but when u went downstairs the first floor hallway was smoky and the carpet was taped together. Went into the pool area and the indoor pool was ice cold. The hot tub was dirty and stunk. It smelled so bad we didn't take the kids back down. I as extremely disappointed. Started researching other sites for future booking.

• Stayed October 2012
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I were traveling through the area for work and stayed here for a night. As platinum Priority Club members we spend a lot of time at Holiday Inns, so I thought this would be another good experience, as they typically are. I was happy to see that there was plenty of parking for our truck, but other than that I was quite disappointed.

When we arrived to check in the front desk seemed to be understaffed. There were four people in line in front of us and it took quite a while for the lone front desk associate to take care of everyone. Just as we were next in line another associate jumped in and helped, but after a long day of driving it was not pleasant to wait so long for our turn to check in. The service was friendly, however, and we were checked in quickly.

The walk to the room was a bad sign of what was to come. The elevator was very old and it showed. The carpets in the hall were filthy, wrinkled, and badly torn. They smelled horrible, letting us know that at some point, this hotel had definitely allowed smoking.

In the room things were no better. The room was, in general, not clean. In the bathroom there were toenail clippings on the floor, hair in the tub, and the exhaust vent was falling out of the wall. The wallpaper in the room was scuffed and peeling in many places; the A/C unit was in disrepair; and the drapes were stained and could not be closed all the way. Our neighbors were watching TV and we could easily hear the TV and their voices due to thin walls. Even the furniture was falling apart.

As for the bedding, it was terrible. The mattress was so old that it was worn through and springs were visible. The pillows seemed more like old t-shirts stuffed into a pillowcase than an actual pillow. Next to the bed there was black goo on the wall where something had been spilled.

We were exhausted and needed to be up at 3:45 the next morning, so we just went to sleep and dealt with our discontent. However, I think it’s important that others know what our experience was.

I’m not sure how this Holiday Inn managed to get the new branding (they were supposed to have been renovated), but needless to say I won’t be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear ThreeStarAdventure,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around.

It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on service, cleanliness and the bedding. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We will address these points. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked a hotel room for the weekend of 9/15 thru 9/17. I initially wanted to stay at the Hampton Inn across the street but when I called to make a reservation they said their pool was closed to be painted and they were a bit snobby. I checked out Holiday Inn's website and thought it looked very clean and the rooms did not seem outdated. The lobby is very nicely decorated and front staff is very friendly. As we made our way to our room the hotel still seemed very clean. Once we got to our room it was a complete change. The room had a moldy smell and the bathroom appeared to only have been wiped down. The tub had a ring of dirt that would not come off even when I tried to scrub it, which the hotel needs to look into because as a guest that is disgusting to see. On the way to the pool area it smells like cigarette smoke so strongly. Parts of the hallway carpet appear to have been cut off and taped back together with a different kind of carpet. Also when we left for the day they only made the beds and did not take our used towels. They sent someone up to take the towels and give us new ones but the housekeeping woman was so rude. She seemed to bothered to bring us towels and take the dirty ones which should've been done in the first place. I cannot complain about front staff they were very attentive and friendly. Overall hotel is not as clean as they claim it is. For the price (around $112/night) you will be able to find a hotel somewhere else. Please note weddings are hosted here so be prepared if you stay here for a noisy night.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear lu102384,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!