“can't complain” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
St. Louis, MO
“can't complain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

I went with a group of 50 people, 40 of which were disabled, and the staff were very friendly to a rather challenging group. The rooms were good enough - some had updated heaters and some did not, and were a bit loud. We'll go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — just a little out of date
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed here based on the location to the sights we wanted to see and on the price. The hotel was literally a hop away from every attraction we wanted to go to. Given the amenities (two pools, decent dining) we were pleasantly suprised at the value. For example, the year before, we stayed at the downtown Holiday Inn for more money and less goodies.
About the only drawbrack we found was the un-heated outside pool. It was freezing cold, which was uncomfortable for the kids.
The staff was great and helpful, the room was clean, the bathroom was kept clean, and the housekeeping staff did a great job.
All in all, a standard Holiday Inn, but it made an impression on us that will bring us back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

Our experience here was terrible, our daughter graduated for cosmetology school in June 2007, The Holiday Inn St. Louis-sw/Viking MO Saint Louis, Missouri: 10709 Watson Road. was the place where she was to take her boards so we thought this would be the perfect place to put her up for the night, next morning well rested for her boards, but she wasn't allowed to check in because she was only twenty. I secured the hotel with my credit card but didn't pay for it. She had cash but still the management refused to let her stay but did say that if there was someone 21 in St. Louis they would let her stay. We did not have any contacts there. She finally went to three other hotels, the Best Western finally let her check in. There was NO concern for our situation. Basically, fell on deaf ears. Our sons and daughters 18 to 20 years old can fight and give their lives for our country but can not check into a Holiday Inn. They have lost my business for life and Best Western has gain my business.
Brian Woodruff, Springfield, Mo

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I stayed here for 3 days/2 nights for business last week. The hotel seems like a pretty new hotel ... the lobby was nicely decorated with what seemed like new furnishings. I would say pretty modern decor for a Holiday Inn. The hotel lobby bar is small but the bartender (Jennifer) was very friendly. As far as the rest of the staff, they were average. My room was on the 4th floor, and I never heard any of my neighbors at all? Not sure what all the previous reviewers noise complaints were about?

The hotel offers FREE wi-fi which is really nice to have. They also have a business center that has also has free internet in case you don't have a laptop. Every morning they delivered a USA today to your door which was a nice surprise if you like to read the morning newspaper with your coffee.

One complaint I do have is when my husband tried to call my room he said it was hard to get thru to someone at the front desk during the evening hours.

I did not have a car, and decided to take a taxi into downtown one day. I had no idea it would cost $46 one way (not including tip) So next time I'm in St. Louis I would definitely need to rent a car. There are lots of restaraunts that are across the street, and they also have a restaurant in the hotel. I did not eat there so I cannot comment on it.

If I was in St. Louis for work I would probably stay at this hotel again because it is close to where I need to be. But if I was visiting St. Louis for pleasure, I would want to stay closer to the downtown area.

Overall, I would rate this hotel average, but for a Holiday Inn it was above average

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

Not a good place to spend your wedding night!!! First of all everyone was rude it was my wedding night and I was threatened to be put in handcuffs the rooms had wallpaper peeling off the walls and even the hallways were dirty, it smelled horrible. Many of my wedding guests were upset with the pricing because of their horrible experiences. Management is not customer service oriented and are very rude!!! I would have rather spent the night in the airport!!

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2004

Spent the past weekend. The rooms smelled like dog and urine. The rooms were not clean. You can hear the people next to you and their TV. We were on a non smoking floor. They people next to use were smoking. We could smell it in our room. This is a typical nasty Holiday Inn. The Viking Rest has extremely slow service. Only 1 elevator was working. Never again!

Oxford,MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2004

I stayed for 3 nts in September. The Hotel is very nice, clean and in a great location. The staff couldnt have been more friendly.
There is a nice restaurant on property.
The outdoor pool was nice, the indoor pool was small. Jacuzzi wasnt very hot(kindda old)

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!