“This motel was right for the money! Perfect for the stay, and right on the service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trails West Motel

You added Trails West Motel to your Saves list
Trails West Motel
207 South Main, South Hutchinson, KS 67505   |
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This motel has very nice remodeled rooms! The owners were very nice and very polite to me and my family! They offered us pizza when they realized i forgot my wallet at the local Walmart store when i tried to get food! The rooms were very cozy! Felt like i never left home!! This motel beats any one around this area ive stayed at!!!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Muskogee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

i called to see if they accepted pets. yes $10 per night. asked for room with 2 beds as there would be three of us.set up for a sat/sun visit. when we arrived they had no clue about the reservation. then had to explain all over again. checked into room for uneventful night. got up sunday for a busy day. went back at 3p.m. to take dog for walk. housekeeping had not arrived. went to desk for towels and to tell them problem. was told they should have been there and he would check. so i put towels in room and left. came back about 9:45 p.m. still no housekeeping. so went to desk to see if this could be done or perhaps a partial refund.was immediately called a scam artist. he been in business 30 years he know scam when hear one. was told no housekeeping at 9:45 at any hotel. then told to tell people get out of room and he would make beds. while i was trying to do that i walked outside to tell him they would be out soon and he is driving off. saw his father at lobby door so went to talk to him. he says there is no way we should need housekeeping at 10 p.m. then said i should have said something when i was there earlier. when i started to explain i did. he interrupted to tell me that "i not even charge you for second bed, plus you have dog in room" "we no clean room with dog" i started to ask why they did not say this when we checked in and he interrupted again "it is 10 p.m. no housekeeping, i go to bed" so i went back to room and was telling my wife what had happened and get ready for bed. then we heard a knocking on door. it was the fellow that had driven off, asking what we needed. i told him what the other man had said and couldn't finish with him either. he interrupted to tell me that we took too long coming out of room and he took kids to Mcdonald's which in not against the law. then proceeded to tell us again how "no clean rooms with dogs. no hotels allow dogs,i make mistake letting you stay. not again, you and dog not welcome back." then he tell my wife it is all my fault for not requesting housekeeping when i was there earlier. she said he did not need to yell at her. he said"this is not yelling, you want to hear yelling i can start yelling" " i not need scam artist like your husband staying here" my wife was so nervous after that that we decided to go ahead and leave. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING STAYING HERE, I WOULD STAY ANYWHERE ELSE FIRST. I WOULD SLEEP IN MY CAR AT A TRUCK STOP BEFORE I EVER STAYED HERE AGAIN. FAIR WARNING THESE PEOPLE WERE VERY RUDE JUST FOR ASKING A QUESTION. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these South Hutchinson hotels

Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Be sure you know how much and what type of room you are getting before you get there. When paying for the stay I was almost charged more than quoted but it was resolved quickly once I let the management know. I was upgraded from a single queen to a single king and ended up paying $40 a night, which was reasonable and nice of them.
The room was decently clean but I didn't do a white glove inspection. The coffee maker microwave and sofa were the only exceptions to this, but I'd assume they've just seen quite a few guests. I saw no evidence of bugs or other pests. The ac/heater unit was loud but not offensively so and it worked well hot and cold :) The TV worked nicely...I didn't test out the internet though.The furniture had some nicks and scratches but I found nothing to be broken or in poor condition. The bed was okay/comfortable but if you're looking to bask in luxury you may be a little disappointed.
The door was a equipped with two locks, one on the knob locked from inside or outside and opened with the key the give you. The second is a deadbolt locked by hand on the inside opened on the outside by management's key. There was a moment when I woke up with my heart pounding after I heard the knob lock pop open and the handle turning, luckily the top lock stayed strong while ran to the other side of the room (brave girl). I called the front desk from the room phone and was told they accidentally resold the room because they thought it was vacant, they apologized (sincerely, the owners are super nice) and I had no issue after that. During my stay they threw a spring break party (cookout, fun music, water balloons, the works) and invited me, looked like a blast but I had some sleep to catch up on. Housekeeping came in while I was away, gave me fresh towels but left everything as I had it. Nothing was missing even though I left some valuables out like a dummy. Checkout was painless.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Topeka, Kansas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I'm pretty lax when it comes to expectations of hotels. We don't ever book high-end places and we like to frequent locally-owned establishments, but this... this was the worst experience I've ever had with a hotel.

In short, BE CAREFUL! We stayed on October 14th, 2011. I visited their website 1 week before booking and located a special deal for a Queen bed for $34.99/night. http://trailswestmotel.com/coupons I called, and I reserved a room with a credit card number. I thought I had gotten a fantastic deal - sure, I didn't expect the best hotel in the city, but hey, that's a heck of a bargain these days! I figured we could have a special breakfast with the money we'd saved.

SO, we arrive about 10:30pm and go in to get our room and are charged $62.00. (that included taxes and everything but was WAY over what I'd expected.) I questioned why the rate was so high and the nice old geezer (who acted like his nap had been interrupted) informed us that "those rooms have already been taken". WHAT??! Apparently, there were only 2 of them - a party or something came in and they got them. (Like I care! I booked their special rate a week ago!) We never got a receipt, either. I felt ripped off and was really ticked. As we turned to go to our room, exasperated and too tired to argue, I figured it would be ok for that price. WRONG. I looked down to see a single, lonely, small roach creeping across the floor. From there, it didn't get any better.

1. When we walked in, it stunk like covered-up smoke. It was disgusting. I've experienced this before in hotels and I can live with it. I'm not a smoke Nazi. Still. Gross. It felt dirty just from the smell. 2. There were burn marks on the ancient phone. Again, not a big deal but still, phones are really cheap these days! Can't you replace it? 3. There were stains all over the carpet and the old sofa in the room. Ick. (You can see this greasy residue on some of the other photos posted here. 4. They advertised "free internet". DID NOT HAVE INTERNET. Well, the signal was so weak it didn't work 10 yards away from the main office. That pissed me off even more. It's important to both my husband and me when booking a hotel. It's a deal breaker. They shouldn't be advertising this. 5. The plastic around the little disposable cups with the ice bucket felt ancient and sticky and crumbly. Um, how often do you clean your rooms and replace those disposable items?? 6. There were holes in the towels. Not teensy little holes but big - like golf ball size. I will upload photos, if I can on this site, so you can see. 7. Beds were terribly, terribly uncomfortable. At 5am (three hours earlier than planned) I awoke for the third time and gave up sleeping. Neither of us could get comfortable at all. 8. We couldn't find the thermostat - well, I couldn't. My husband did in the morning. All night long it was really hot and then freezing and cycled back and forth - this misery adding to the discomfort of the bed was frustrating. The heater is built into the air conditioner as one unit, by the way. And it's really loud. Perfect white noise for those who like it, I suppose. They should advertise "WHITE NOISE MACHINE IN EVERY ROOM rather than free internet. 9. Weren't enough blankets. Or pillows. 10. There was a wadded up dirty hand towel behind the bathroom door. SERIOUSLY. I had to ask my husband twice if he put it there. Nope - all our our shower towels were accounted for. (Photos of it too.)

Enough said. I woke up even more furious than when I'd checked in, sore and tired and once the shower (which was decent) was completed and we were dressed and ready to face the day, my husband and I went to see if we could do anything about the bill from the night before - explain and get the difference back.(Mind you, we weren't asking for a whole refund - just the overcharged part.) Guess what we found - a hungover owner who flat-out refused to give us anything back, admitted he was out partying the night before and didn't care about our problem. Told US to "be more careful" next time. What a jerk. I will post crappy feedback everywhere I can on this place. They could have refunded us $15-$20 and made us content, but he was a total jerk and we left disgusted and will never, ever go back.

I know there's a lot of good feedback about this place (which is why I ultimately decided to book here) but I question how it's getting there. I wonder if the owners aren't posting the feedback themselves. Really, something was very, very wrong here. Signed, Very Unhappy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Our plans to stay at independent motels whenever possible got off to a bad start with the Trails West motel. The property is old and poorly maintained, with a lot of very amateurish drywall, tile, electrical, and plumbing work. The mattresses were in need of replacement. There were 2 dead cockroaches left behind on the bathroom floor (plus one that I killed as it tried to get into the room), and all of the flat surfaces were dirty. The carpet was strewn with prickly thistles that stabbed the bottom of my feet when I made the mistake of walking in my stocking feet. The office was closed at 7am when we tried to get our complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I've stayed at this motel once in the past and was given a rate of $35.00. Obviously for that amount of money I was hoping for clean and safe only. My first stay was uneventful if cold (could find no thermostat in the rooms). I came back a month later and I was told that the rate had gone up to $45.00 for just myself once again. I explained the rate I'd been given only about 6 weeks early and they adjusted the rate and put me in a smaller room. WOW! It was terrifying. The only lock was on the doornob of a door that rattled because it didn't close tightly. You could see daylight streaming in around the frame. The wall paper? was pealing off in multiple places. There was some sort of canvas ducktaped to the large window in the door that had been there for quite some time. There were stains all over the carpet/walls and the only thing I saw of the bathroom was a leaky sink on the tile.

I went back and asked if they had a safer room. I could envision myself on the evening news as a body outline in the other. After much discussion the proprietor refused to put me in a different room without adding $$$ to the cost of it. He even refused to look up the room number and price I'd paid just a few weeks earlier.

I felt they were very dishonest in their business dealings and were offering up a room advertised at a particular price (also as remodeled). I will not ever stay at this particular motel again no matter how strapped I am for cash. I'd feel safer sleeping in my car, and I'd probably be warmer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
trailswestmotel, General Manager at Trails West Motel, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
I am sorry your visit at our hotel wasn't upto your needs. Hoever, Our winter rates are over on March 15th and we start our seasonal rates starting every March 15th. All of our ac/heat units have on and off button with numbered thermostat. I wish you would have called the front desk for help on figuring out how the thermostat work, which was the same way it did on your earlier trip. Our rooms have no wall paper. They all have new drywall, ceiling and carpeting. I hope you give us one more try and yes our rates are still $ 45 after all of the renovations. Thats two years of keeping the seasonal rates the same.
Wichita
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

Over the phone I was told the room would be $55 with tax. Upon arrival she said that will be $55 plus tax that is $60. I don't think the state will see a lick of that money. The rooms were DIRTY. There were empty beer cans under the bed, dried toothpaste and snot in the sink, cob webs in all corners and dust 2 cm thick on the one fan. The t.v. had somewhat distinguishable characters but it took some imagination. I am not sure who left the other positive reviews but I would say it was probably the owners. We have pictures. I will try to upload from my other computer.

• Disliked — It was smelly and dirty
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Trails West Motel? Share your experiences!